Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Large size vintage mixte and step through in US

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Large size vintage mixte and step through in US

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 10:32 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by reroll
This looks like a very worthwhile mixte, very clean! It has about all of the authentic mixte details in apparently fine condition, lugged steel frame and even has its original front and rear reflectors. The only slight deviation is in its having a singular top tube, not parallel tubes, which would classify it as being a "sport" mixte. However, this is the sort of deal worth jumping on, at a bargain price. Go for it! A 56cm seat tube could easily work for 6 foot riders.

Edit: It has a Sugino crankset and so likely also has Suntour derailleurs.
I think these are all fairly heavy tubing. If hills are not an issue, no problem though.
The Motobecane and Gitane Mixte's did come in versions with light tubing along with the Austro Daimler Vent Noir mixte.
Old 02-20-23, 10:38 AM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
I think these are all fairly heavy tubing. If hills are not an issue, no problem though.
The Motobecane and Gitane Mixte's did come in versions with light tubing along with the Austro Daimler Vent Noir mixte.
Yes, it probably has heavy high tensile steel tubes, not the fancy Reynolds 531.
But heavy hi-ten tubes actually provide a smooth ride, which makes for a good bike anyway.
Likes For reroll:
Old 02-20-23, 10:43 AM
daverup 

This one has been on the market for a couple of months, I'd go get it if it were closer.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ger_share&_rdr

Likes For daverup:
Old 02-20-23, 10:59 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I worked on a couple, but not larger size. A Miyata 210 for a niece that i converter to upright bars. My 60 year old sister wanted a bit of a “faster” bike than her upright for exercise. I found a nice AD mixte that she really loves. She sends me her “map my ride” results where she averages 14-15 mph. Interestingly the AD has a taller headtube and the effective top tube length is pretty stretched out.

Late 70s hi tensile AD

I would think the AD Vent Noir would probably be just the ticket for the OP even in the 23”. This one came in at about 28-29 lbs IIRC. I put a pair of the half toe clips on it after this pic, and my sister loves it. I have seen another similar bike to this one advertised last year as a Puch but nearly identical.
Old 02-20-23, 12:22 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Puch made some beautiful high end ones

you can get a new one from soma in taller sizes (may have posted before)

up to 58m cm rim brakes https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista

up to 62 cm disc brakes https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...disc-frame-set

and Rivendell has not mixte but a number of lower top tube frames

Old 02-21-23, 01:00 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
This one has been on the market for a couple of months, I'd go get it if it were closer.

I love that one. Tempts me every time I see it.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-02-23, 06:53 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
A 22" LeTour Luxe? $40 in MI.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...47494699581066

Old 03-02-23, 07:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Looks like a 23" Raleigh for $250 in NY.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...14544606810950

Old 03-02-23, 07:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I have a large sized AD Michelle, hi-ten tubeset. My daughter likes it with saddle at lowest. But coming back to me at some point. I made that clear when she 'borrowed' it. There was a large, very clean AD Vent Noir north of Seattle (Bellingham, I think) but the owner would not budge off $1,000. That was a year ago.
AD Michelle 1980-ish, I purchased a partial bike ($60), without the original stem&drop bars, saddle/post or wheels, but good condition. Ended up like this for now.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-02-23 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 08:41 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
There is an Oscar Wastyn mixte from the 1960s, chrome with green lug lining and details, up on the 'Bay right now. It is not big, and at $3,500 BIN it is spendy (no comment on value, just that is a fair bit of coin). Take a look, not because I think you (whoever "you" might be) ought to buy, but because it is a fun bike to look at. The seller is in Chicago, so this interesting specimen probably never lived very far from where i was built.
Old 03-02-23, 08:47 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I have a large sized AD Michelle, hi-ten tubeset. My daughter likes it with saddle at lowest. But coming back to me at some point. I made that clear when she 'borrowed' it. There was a large, very clean AD Vent Noir north of Seattle (Bellingham, I think) but the owner would not budge off $1,000. That was a year ago.

AD Michelle 1980-ish, I purchased a partial bike ($60), without the original stem&drop bars, saddle/post or wheels, but good condition. Ended up like this for now.

I am more familiar with Puch bikes of that era, Puch having been the entry-level bikes and Austro-Daimler the upper-level bikes, but going by what Puch did with its model changes in those years there is a possibility that your AD Michelle could be a 1985 model. About 1980 through 1984 Puch bikes had Dia-Compe center-pull brakes, Sugino chainsets and Suntour F&R derailleurs and then in 1985 Puch switched over to mostly Shimano components and side-pull caliper brakes. 1985 was also the last year AD and Puch bikes had model names, such as your Michelle, and in 1986 model names were discontinued and AD and Puch bikes became known by model numbers.
Likes For reroll:
Old 03-02-23, 09:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, there was Paramount (!) mixte on the Craiglist thread last last week. It think it was a 22 or 23" and only about $400. Worth a look
That one had been ridden too hard and was kinked at the BB and elsewhere, not catastrophic but makes it about a $100's worth IMO.
Old 03-03-23, 05:47 AM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, there was Paramount (!) mixte on the Craiglist thread last last week. It think it was a 22 or 23" and only about $400. Worth a look
Yes, I grabbed it, my fourth Paramount, first step-through! It has some issues, but hard to argue with that color (Flamboyant Lime).... I will be bringing it back to some semblance of originality.... it is a 22 inch frame CTT....

Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 03-03-23, 06:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
This one is killing me, it's about a 5 mile detour off my route home from work but I already have too many I need to finish. I wish someone would hurry up and buy it before I cave in.

Old 03-03-23, 06:32 AM
daverup 

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
This one is killing me, it's about a 5 mile detour off my route home from work but I already have too many I need to finish. I wish someone would hurry up and buy it before I cave in.
I still want it too! It's just too far from me..
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-03-23, 07:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
What you need to do is find its exact location and loop ever closer to it on successive commutes until you just can't stand it anymore. Consider it a test of your resolve. We're on your side.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-03-23, 09:26 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
What you need to do is find its exact location and loop ever closer to it on successive commutes until you just can't stand it anymore. Consider it a test of your resolve. We're on your side.

My LBS has it's male counterpart in my size and about the same condition for the same money. I'm struggling even harder on that one since I've actually laid hands on it but I currently have 8 active bike projects in various stages with many more waiting to be done. I'd love to have the 'his n hers' set but my wife would absolutely lose it if I brought either one home and I wouldn't blame her.
Old 03-10-23, 06:26 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Here's an unidentified tall mixte (Berceau, actually) bike on the local CL. I'd guess Peugeot but it's hard to tell from the photos.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...597198225.html