Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your 650B Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 09:10 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGastrognome
Progress on my budget 650b swapped '82 Team Fuji ($50)
Cycles Toussaint 650b wheelset ($245 shipped)
Soma Grand Randonneur tires 42mm ($80)
Sram PG970 11-32 9 speed cassette ($28)
Ultegra long cage rd (free),
Tektro 559 rim brakes and Levers ($110)
Nitto Olympiade B115 drop bars ($5)

Plotting next steps
Please excuse my ignorance, but what kind of bag is that?
Likes For Headpost:
Old 02-28-23, 09:46 AM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
looks like an Ostrich handlebar bag, maybe F104?
Likes For amillhench:
Old 02-28-23, 02:08 PM
Headpost

Originally Posted by amillhench
Right, thanks. If someone ever makes a nice handlebar bag/system for under $50 I guess I'll find out about it here.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 02-28-23, 02:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Right, thanks. If someone ever makes a nice handlebar bag/system for under $50 I guess I'll find out about it here.
Check online for "12 pack can cooler", with a little bit of ingenuity you can easily modify one to act as a handlebar bag.
Old 02-28-23, 02:34 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I don't know about the bag, but it looks like it might be using the Nitto F-18 bag support or something similar, which behaves sort of like the vintage Cannondale bag support, with thin metal bars protruding forward to support the bag.
Old 02-28-23, 04:15 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Check online for "12 pack can cooler", with a little bit of ingenuity you can easily modify one to act as a handlebar bag.
This one's a less than $20 Rubbermaid cooler:

Old 02-28-23, 04:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
This one's a less than $20 Rubbermaid cooler:
That's a B.A.B.
Old 02-28-23, 07:41 PM
Headpost

Thanks to all. I'll definitely look into these . . . but I still wish there were some cheap knockoff of a handlebar bag like that Acorn that had its own sturdy, simple mounting system--and not some plastic clip to squeak and finally break..

Also, SORRY FOR THE THREAD DRIFT!
Old 03-03-23, 03:09 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Ostrich bag from Osaka via alexscycle.com... best bang for the buck in rando bags. Though their $30 mount doesn't leave a lot or room for your hands. The Nitto mount for these bags is much nicer but starts around $120 if you can find them in stock.

Last edited by MrGastrognome; 03-03-23 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 03-03-23, 03:12 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Originally Posted by amillhench
F-516 in green.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 03-04-23, 07:10 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Headpost , an FYI/PSA.... Soma has a -35% sale going on of some brands they carry, including Cardiff. Discount code is '353535' apparenlty good through Monday. No idea of the quality, or attachment details, but with the sale you're looking at about $100 for the rando bag..... (confidence in quality not exactly helped by the wrong way they've got the top flaps in the photo........)

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/car...=117#attr=4993

Last edited by ehcoplex; 03-04-23 at 07:16 AM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-04-23, 06:31 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Thanks for the PSA! I've been looking for a brown bag for my conversion project...... I just ordered one, we'll see what it's like.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Headpost , an FYI/PSA.... Soma has a -35% sale going on of some brands they carry, including Cardiff. Discount code is '353535' apparenlty good through Monday. No idea of the quality, or attachment details, but with the sale you're looking at about $100 for the rando bag..... (confidence in quality not exactly helped by the wrong way they've got the top flaps in the photo........)

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/car...=117#attr=4993

Old 03-04-23, 07:39 PM
Murray Missile 

It attaches to a rack with straps on the bottom, no provisions for attaching to the handlebars. The pictures of the black version have the flaps down along the sides. Fingers crossed the retail price is reflective of the quality. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
.................No idea of the .attachme......................nt details, .... (confidence in quality not exactly helped by the wrong way they've got the top flaps in the photo........)

Old 03-04-23, 07:47 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
One one of my bikes with an Acorn bag I do the straps on the bottom, the rack 'tombstone' in the slot (can't tell if the Cardiff bag has the tombstone slot...) and a couple cord loops with those little compression-thingys from the bag’s strap-rings to the bars just under the brake levers. I don't super-load the bag, but I do carry stuff, often on pretty rough gravel, etc, and it's been fine the past couple years.

Last edited by ehcoplex; 03-05-23 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-05-23, 11:54 AM
lutemake3 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Wow, there’s so much to unpack here, [mention]lutemake3[/mention]. This bike deserves its own build thread (if it doesn’t have one already. The lights themselves could be a thread (that I would readily consume!).

I love the aesthetic - it’s a great modification of a classic French racing frame that still embodies the speed of a fast randonneuse.

Félicitations!
Thanks Mountaindave! This has been a fun project, and it rides much nicer that I expected it to, with a much livelier ride than the Raleigh. I actually snagged the B&M LED retrofit idea from retroman57, who IIRC might have a build thread about that process somewhere. The Radios No. 16 headlight I used had been pretty heavily dented and had no glass, so it was a clear candidate for the conversion.

Old 03-05-23, 12:18 PM
Murray Missile 

Closed for renovation....

I still have a lot of work to do to get it prepped and painted but I did a mock up with the wheels and tires to check clearances. There's a mile between the FD and rear tire but up front it's pretty tight between the bottom of the steerer tube where it comes through the crown and the tire so fenders are probably out of the equation if I want to run the 50mm tires...... and I do. The rear tire is lightly touching the ground so even with the180mm crank arms I don't think pedal strike will be an issue. I ground the ends off a few motorcyle pegs in my youth but that was a long, long time ago when I was still "immortal", I think those shiny TA Cyclotouriste crank arms and the MKS Sylvan pedals in transit are safe. The Technomic stem is in just past the Min insertion mark, I'll probably end up running a slightly shorter Origin 8 with a little less reach as I'm a bit stretched out when standing even with the seatpost and holding the bars where I normally ride, this thing has a long wheelbase. I hope it rides at least as well as it did as a 26 incher because there's no going back now.

Old 03-05-23, 12:20 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I still have a lot of work to do to get it prepped and painted but I did a mock up with the wheels and tires to check clearances. There's a mile between the FD and rear tire but up front it's pretty tight between the bottom of the steerer tube where it comes through the crown and the tire so fenders are probably out of the equation if I want to run the 50mm tires...... and I do. The rear tire is lightly touching the ground so even with the180mm crank arms I don't think pedal strike will be an issue. I ground the ends off a few motorcyle pegs in my youth but that was a long, long time ago when I was still "immortal", I think those shiny TA Cyclotouriste crank arms and the MKS Sylvan pedals in transit are safe. The Technomic stem is in just past the Min insertion mark, I'll probably end up running a slightly shorter Origin 8 with a little less reach as I'm a bit stretched out when standing even with the seatpost and holding the bars where I normally ride, this thing has a long wheelbase. I hope it rides at least as well as it did as a 26 incher because there's no going back now.

50s are huge. Should be mega plush!
Old 03-05-23, 12:39 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
50s are huge. Should be mega plush!
I was shocked at how light they feel! With our crappy roads and my old bones I need all the "plush" I can get.
Old 03-05-23, 02:37 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I was shocked at how light they feel! With our crappy roads and my old bones I need all the "plush" I can get.
I understand, rumor has it I'm old.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-05-23, 05:50 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Looking good! I think the most common thing to run afoul of those TA cranks are front derailleurs. Which bars are you using? Nitto B-135?
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 03-05-23, 06:55 PM
Murray Missile 

Looking good! I think the most common thing to run afoul of those TA cranks are front derailleurs. Which bars are you using? Nitto B-135?
Thanks. I'm running a Shimano 105 FD, initial mock up looked good and good eye on the bars! Yes, B-135.
Old 03-05-23, 07:39 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Thanks. I'm running a Shimano 105 FD, initial mock up looked good and good eye on the bars! Yes, B-135.
I think I need to track down those bars.... I need a little flare in my life. I did find a pair of 40cm B-114s today at my local co-op, which were the stock bar on my Team Fuji. Mine had riser bars when I found it and I am currently using a 39cm B-115.
Old 03-05-23, 07:47 PM
Murray Missile 

I think I need to track down those bars.... I need a little flare in my life. I did find a pair of 40cm B-114s today at my local co-op, which were the stock bar on my Team Fuji. Mine had riser bars when I found it and I am currently using a 39cm B-115.

Got mine here but they show currently out of stock. https://www.ebay.com/itm/304677384514
Old 03-24-23, 10:32 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm curious to know where folks are getting 650b skewer wheels? Everything I'm finding are through axles and I don't want to use the convertors. thanks!
Old 03-24-23, 11:03 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I'm curious to know where folks are getting 650b skewer wheels? Everything I'm finding are through axles and I don't want to use the convertors. thanks!
Cycles Toussaint has them. I have a set. They seem fine so far. https://www.cyclestoussaint.com/coll...speed-clincher

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.