Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 08:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Received my next project in the mail today:

Note the lack of logos. I was able to get this for a very good price because they were missing - and there is a tiny chip on the drive-side rear corner, as well as superficial scratches to the clear-coat. The crack is only about 5mm long, and doesn't go all the way through; a dab of epoxy will take care of it.

I have an interesting (to me) plan to take care of the logo-less look. Since I'm going to be removing the entire clear-coat, and disassembling the saddle in order to make the repair/refinish, I'll be starting a thread on the process. One manufacturer issue needs to be addressed with the Dremel (!), and then I'll take care of the refinish and badging - the latter surely will polarize the masses

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-02-23, 06:38 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Cleaning up my Trek with Evaporust gel. I should have taken before photos but it's coming along nicely. I think I have touch-up paint that will match the Ice Blue very well.

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 03-03-23, 06:52 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 253 Posts
Work on the Suntour bicycle is in progress. Not sure how long it's going to take. For now I'm applying oil to the stem as it seems stuck and I don't want to mess this up, so taking my time. But whilst I'm waiting, I decided to start with checking the wheels. The rear one is missing a spoke, so that's something to address as the next thing. I noticed that some spokes in the front one are loose, so I decided to just take apart both wheels, clean the hubs, rims, spokes and nipples and rebuild the wheelset. Just to be on the safe side. I started with the front one today and will be lacing it in a moment.
The rims are an unknown Ambrosio model. At least they had 3rd party decals saying Ambrosio 622x14. So could really be anything. Single eyelets. They seem to be in a decent condition and even though they are not original to the bike, I think they will match the bike better than the other rims I have.
Spokes are plain gauge Sapim Leader and nipples are brass Sapim Polyax. That's what I generally use, so no complaints here. And also there's a good chance I already have one in a correct length to replace one that's missing on the rear wheel.
Hubs are Superbe. A bit of a puzzle, because they don't have the oil port, the decal is wrapped around the hub shell, not going across, so I'm guessing they are probably Superbe II. Date code JB I think means they were manufactured in October 1985, but that's just a guess. Very smooth. I'm a bit of a magpie and I like mirror polish, but Suntour anodising actually looks great.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-03-23, 08:44 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 828 Posts
Many, many Interbikes ago, I was able to obtain an early-generation floor sample Cycle Force Nightstalker light with colored lenses suitable for bike patrol duty (I was managing bicycle security teams for large public events at the time). I ended up installing it on my commuting bike as a big ol' taillight, permanently affixing red and amber lenses. The years passed, the light blinked brightly aft, and age got the better of the cheap inexpensive case holding the AA cells, and the assembly finally crumbled. I really liked the light, though, so I salvaged the LED/electronics module and pondered my options.

In recent days, I came into possession of flexible plastic reflective assemblies intended for use tucked into W-beam guardrail, and an idea blinked into my head. So with some bolts, a zip tie, some hot glue, some bright red microprismatic retroreflective sheeting, a soldering iron, and a bit of patience, I was able to attach the salvaged parts of that bright light onto the reflector assembly and run the wires to the battery pack powering the hi-tech Costco-flashlight-with-a-cork-and-wires headlamp.

Behold:

Happy to resurrect an old blinking buddy - and it's slightly more theft-resistant than other taillight options.

(the green glow seen in the second photo is from a 67%-functioning Bike Brightz strip light fastened to the saddle rails providing "supplemental photons" rearward.)

Video of lights a-blinkin'

Last edited by RCMoeur; 03-03-23 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added video
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-05-23, 05:23 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 253 Posts
Found some time to complete the front wheel. And it was a pleasure to work on. Not only was it pretty round and true straight away, which not frequently is the case with repurposed rims, but I also feel absolutely no urge to open the hub and regrease the bearings. When I spin it in the stand, this thing keeps turning and doesn't seem to stop. Well, it does, but after quite a long time. I've never seen anything like that. Sure, some of the wheels I've built were using pretty basic hubs, but I try to use pretty decent stuff when I can, Shimano 105 or Ultegra level. And I think this Superbe hub is well ahead. I don't know what Sansin engineers did, but their design seems to defy laws of physics. Sight to behold, absolutely mesmerizing.
The rear wheel is going to be a bit more of a problem. The freewheel doesn't want to come off, so I've sprayed some oil between the hub shell and the freewheel and decided to let it be for a while. Tomorrow I'm going to put a tube and tyre on it, inflate it and try again. I don't like using much force on rims without the rubber. Hopefully being able to press hard on the wrench, combined with some oil seeping into the thread will do the trick. Worst case scenario, I can always try taking the freewheel apart and find somewhere with a decent vise to get the darn thing off. The freewheel is Suntour New Winner, 13-21, 6 speed. Thanks heaven I actually have a Suntour freewheel tool to take it apart. Well, fingers crossed.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-05-23, 09:05 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Well,
My Son built and finished a handmade ash bike hanger for my almost finished 2004 Kestrel Talon SL. It’s great to have talented children .
JD, Dallas.

Likes For jim dandy:
Old 03-05-23, 09:52 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
GT Palomar MTB project

Finally got some room in the cave to start working on a GT Palomar .
Its a big frame (58cm ctoc seat post )
Should be a fun build .
Plenty of bits on hand that will work .
Seat post that came with it was wrong . Ears squeezed right up .
HAd a 26.0 in it . 26.4 mm seems to work now ears are spread and parallel .
Anyone out there got a Palomar that they could confirm seat post diam ??

Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 03-06-23, 10:16 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Lots of projects in my Garage/ shop these days. I finally finished the 1958 Lenton Grand Prix. Waiting for a clear day to take it to the Bike Exchange . The 85 Pinarello is also done. just waiting for some Hoods I ordered from E Bay to complete the package.

The other day someone donated this 1958 Schwinn Racer to the shop. I decided to keep the patina and just did a mechanical resto. The forks were a little bent. The shop has a fork straightening tool which I used for the first time and surprisingly the forks were easy to straighten, preserving the original paint.

In the same donation was this 1964 Schwinn Varsity. Amazing how well the paint was preserved. The bike was riddn bck in the day but had spent the last few decades hanging in a garage.

Currently I have a Taiwan built Schwinn Mesa Runner apart and just clear coated. Beutiful cherry red metalic paint . Will probably put back together today

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 03-06-23, 10:49 AM
DAbiker2023

Bikes: 1985 Bridgestone T700, 2000 Flite 300, Jamis Sputnik, 77/78 Motobecane Grand Something, Bridgestone CB1, 75 Takara 732, Austro Daimler Inter10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Bridgestone T700

I've been working on this T700 off and on for the past year. Almost done. Now just waiting for brake levers to arrive.

I put new wheels (CR18 rims) with Kenda Kross tires on. I stiil have the original Arya/Sansin (40 rear, 36 front) that will be CLA'd and fit with new tires.
The new derailleurs/shifters are Suntour Accushift.

Now that I'm almost done I'm a wee bit worried it might be too big for me.

Best regards,
DA
(pix to come after 10 posts ;-)
Old 03-06-23, 11:49 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by DAbiker2023
I've been working on this T700 off and on for the past year. Almost done. Now just waiting for brake levers to arrive.

I put new wheels (CR18 rims) with Kenda Kross tires on. I stiil have the original Arya/Sansin (40 rear, 36 front) that will be CLA'd and fit with new tires.
The new derailleurs/shifters are Suntour Accushift.

Now that I'm almost done I'm a wee bit worried it might be too big for me.

Best regards,
DA
(pix to come after 10 posts ;-)
Assist...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-06-23, 01:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy

That looks just dandy, Jim!

Definitely some fine woodworking skills on display there (along with a super-cool bike); good show

DD
Old 03-06-23, 02:59 PM
jim dandy

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That looks just dandy, Jim!

Definitely some fine woodworking skills on display there (along with a super-cool bike); good show

DD
Drillium Dude,

the Son is learning carpentry out in Los Angeles …
Thanks for the kind words.
JD, Dallas
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 03-06-23, 04:29 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
I completed the assembly of the 1983 Colnago Super Profil that was in the exploded view on post #5904. The owner changed their mind on the saddle, but it came together nicely.

Old 03-06-23, 04:32 PM
Brad L 

More photos.

Old 03-06-23, 04:34 PM
Brad L 

And the last batch.

Old 03-06-23, 04:39 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
That really came out beautifully, Brad. I’m a Dura Ace guy, but gotta say, that 50th Anniversary group is pretty tasteful and classy.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-07-23, 02:19 AM
Positron400

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
And the last batch.
What a great looking bike. Where did you get those 50y anniversary parts? They seem to be in amazing condition!
Old 03-07-23, 07:47 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Wowie, that looks great.
Is that going to be on the Texas Tour in a few weeks?
Old 03-07-23, 09:13 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Wowie, that looks great.
Is that going to be on the Texas Tour in a few weeks?
It is! He wants it to be its debut ride.
Old 03-07-23, 12:06 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
I probably risk getting punted out of C&V with this one.....forgive me father for I have sinned. I've bought a plastic bike. Its not a new one, about 15 years old by my estimation, but it does have a horizontal tube and is lugged, so if you squint your eyes or move further away from the monitor it might get a pass

I've never ridden a carbon frame before, so have a carbon bike knowledge base of absolute zero. With a 2nd hand carbon frame my primary fear was it shattering into a million pieces causing rapid unplanned body and road integration and a rearrangement of my facial features.

I weigh 90kg and it passed the first test of me sitting on the saddle it without shattering or emitting and scary creaks or groans. I then cycled up and down my road a number of times, slowly increasing speed, building up to some sudden fast accelerations and some emergency stops, and I didn't die! No creaks or noises of any kind from the frame, or anything untoward. Confident of its structural integrity I take it on its first voyage around London. However I'd not even done 10 miles and it started snowing, was too cold for a proper ride so that test was cut short. But first impressions, at 7.5 kg as pictured its 2kg lighter than any other bike I own, it feels like it goes like a stabbed rat, quick up to speed and seems to handle really nice and predictably and feels really comfortable on London's less than optimal road surfaces in the short time I've had on it so far, the 28c tyres definitely help with that.

I've changed the saddle and stem, added the bottle cages, but otherwise is pictured as it came to me. I was relived and impressed to find the frame accepts 28c tyres front and rear. I'm still fiddling with bar height and need to do a few longer rides to dial that in. I've never been a fan of the look of the rear lacing on those Zonda's, and the wheels and groupset are a bit tired so I'm going to be replacing the headset, cassette, cables, chain and brake pads, and plan to get some new wheels for it too. And will be changing the bar tape to white.

Not only is it my first carbon bike, its my first French bike, but so far I've been pleased to discover it doesn't have weird obscure French fittings, and I'm glad this is the earlier version with exterior cabling not internal, and it accepts regular 27.2 seat posts. The headset is apparently just a regular FSA integrated headset, though I have read online I think it needs a obscure size thrust washer or something that if lost is nightmare to find a replacement for, but I have that so no worry on that front, for now at least.

Despite the low weight it feels a whole lot of bike for the not a lot of money I paid for it, which was a tiny fraction of what this cost new. This was a very highly regarded and expensive frame in its time, and since buying it I've read many posts of people saying they used to own one and regret selling it, so even though its far from the most modern carbon bike it sure feels like a cut price super bike to me.

Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can put some proper miles on it, and I'll report back again when I've dialed in the fit and its fitted with its new bits.

Look 585 Origin from 2008/9 I think.

Lugs!

Nice rear monostay
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-07-23, 01:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
@botty kayer

Not a fan but not a hater either, Look has as much history as most with crapon fibber so no worries, pretty cool and barring any bad scars it should be fine I believe.
Old 03-07-23, 02:09 PM
Positron400

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
I probably risk getting punted out of C&V with this one.....forgive me father for I have sinned. I've bought a plastic bike. Its not a new one, about 15 years old by my estimation, but it does have a horizontal tube and is lugged, so if you squint your eyes or move further away from the monitor it might get a pass

I've never ridden a carbon frame before, so have a carbon bike knowledge base of absolute zero. With a 2nd hand carbon frame my primary fear was it shattering into a million pieces causing rapid unplanned body and road integration and a rearrangement of my facial features.

I weigh 90kg and it passed the first test of me sitting on the saddle it without shattering or emitting and scary creaks or groans. I then cycled up and down my road a number of times, slowly increasing speed, building up to some sudden fast accelerations and some emergency stops, and I didn't die! No creaks or noises of any kind from the frame, or anything untoward. Confident of its structural integrity I take it on its first voyage around London. However I'd not even done 10 miles and it started snowing, was too cold for a proper ride so that test was cut short. But first impressions, at 7.5 kg as pictured its 2kg lighter than any other bike I own, it feels like it goes like a stabbed rat, quick up to speed and seems to handle really nice and predictably and feels really comfortable on London's less than optimal road surfaces in the short time I've had on it so far, the 28c tyres definitely help with that.

I've changed the saddle and stem, added the bottle cages, but otherwise is pictured as it came to me. I was relived and impressed to find the frame accepts 28c tyres front and rear. I'm still fiddling with bar height and need to do a few longer rides to dial that in. I've never been a fan of the look of the rear lacing on those Zonda's, and the wheels and groupset are a bit tired so I'm going to be replacing the headset, cassette, cables, chain and brake pads, and plan to get some new wheels for it too. And will be changing the bar tape to white.

Not only is it my first carbon bike, its my first French bike, but so far I've been pleased to discover it doesn't have weird obscure French fittings, and I'm glad this is the earlier version with exterior cabling not internal, and it accepts regular 27.2 seat posts. The headset is apparently just a regular FSA integrated headset, though I have read online I think it needs a obscure size thrust washer or something that if lost is nightmare to find a replacement for, but I have that so no worry on that front, for now at least.

Despite the low weight it feels a whole lot of bike for the not a lot of money I paid for it, which was a tiny fraction of what this cost new. This was a very highly regarded and expensive frame in its time, and since buying it I've read many posts of people saying they used to own one and regret selling it, so even though its far from the most modern carbon bike it sure feels like a cut price super bike to me.

Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can put some proper miles on it, and I'll report back again when I've dialed in the fit and its fitted with its new bits.

Look 585 Origin from 2008/9 I think.

Lugs!

Nice rear monostay
PUNT THE NON-BELIEVER!

..nahh who am i to judge with my measly 200-ish posts - While i will likely never go for carbon, you do you
Old 03-07-23, 05:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
This hardly qualifies as "wrenching" but I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel while fitting the old junk Tourist into a box to be cut down for shipping to cudak888 . One fork leg was rusted off so I shortened its stump and then cut the other one off, enabling me to shorten the box by several inches and thereby reducing the cost to ship.

Looks like extra meat in there.

Cut the second stump a little longer and it's missing that stuff, probably reinforcing tangs from the crown.

Box surgery will require blades and tape, so still no wrenching. I'll save that for the next bike.
Old 03-07-23, 05:34 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Bruce Gordan rode a titanium lugged carbon fiber bike. I'm sure he would have been welcomed here.

Last edited by curbtender; 03-07-23 at 05:38 PM.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-07-23, 05:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Can't save the paint on everything. 1954 Hercules built Wester Flyer.

Likes For Chuck M:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.