Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How Was Your Online E-Trike Shopping Experience?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-23, 06:47 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I'm seriously considering purchasing a higher-end e-Trike of a particular make and model, with a number of options that I would specify. Unfortunately, the few trike dealers within a day's drive of me don't carry a varied inventory and none have the make or model which I'm interested in.

I know that there are a number of online trike dealers that I can order from. AFAIK, they are all reputable, but they are located way across the country from me which means it's impossible for me to take a test-ride of any kind.

So, I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with making a major trike purchase online - both positive or negative. Were you happy overall with your purchasing experience, even with never having test-ridden it beforehand? Did you get exactly what you expected? How was the dealer's follow-up service if something needed to be corrected?

No need to name the dealer you bought from, if you don't want to.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-23, 11:05 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My trike wasn't high-end but I'd never even ridden a trike at all and ordered online. You have to either accept that if you aren't happy you will sell it for some loss or, if they have a return policy, you will eat shipping probably both ways. If you aren't okay with that, then I wouldn't do it. Depending on how far the dealers are - calculate the costs of each of these expenses. Maybe it's worth it to take a road trip, lol. Follow up service, other than maybe shipping a part, is not going to exist if you can't take the trike back to the dealer. So if. you aren't mechanically inclined, you might have some added expense at your lbs making corrections or swapping parts if necessary. That said, even on my inexpensive trike, there were zero part issues, I assembled it and it went together perfectly. That's something to ask about btw - do they ship fully assembled on a truck or mostly assembled via FedEx (mine came that way, I had to install the front wheels and a few other smaller parts, set boom length and shorten the chain). In any case, I would definitely read all the fine print on the dealer's website and warranty page.
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-12-23, 08:13 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I did a long info post on my TerraTrike Rambler AT and this forum made me loose it,Grrr
Don't get brand specific, look at them all. The TT RAT was right for me and I'm so glad I did a thorough search and found a dealer where I could test ride.
Old 03-12-23, 01:54 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by linberl
My trike wasn't high-end but I'd never even ridden a trike at all and ordered online. You have to either accept that if you aren't happy you will sell it for some loss or, if they have a return policy, you will eat shipping probably both ways. If you aren't okay with that, then I wouldn't do it. Depending on how far the dealers are - calculate the costs of each of these expenses. Maybe it's worth it to take a road trip, lol. Follow up service, other than maybe shipping a part, is not going to exist if you can't take the trike back to the dealer. So if. you aren't mechanically inclined, you might have some added expense at your lbs making corrections or swapping parts if necessary. That said, even on my inexpensive trike, there were zero part issues, I assembled it and it went together perfectly. That's something to ask about btw - do they ship fully assembled on a truck or mostly assembled via FedEx (mine came that way, I had to install the front wheels and a few other smaller parts, set boom length and shorten the chain). In any case, I would definitely read all the fine print on the dealer's website and warranty page.
You make some very valid points, many of which prompted me to ask the original question. Regarding after-purchase service, I'm lucky that my closest trike dealer has assured me that he will do any required servicing (for a fee, of course) regardless whether I purchase from him or not. -- Even for brands that he does not carry.
Likes For newbert:
Old 03-12-23, 04:18 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Although I've never gotten a trike via the net, I can tell you our local dealer, Angletech, www.cycledifferent.com Has sold and shipped 100's of trikes from it's brick and mortor store here in Colorado Springs, CO. They carry several brands and have excellent customer service, JMHO. Angletech-Cycledifferent I've also heard good things about Utah Trikes, FYI.

Old 03-12-23, 08:31 PM
newbert

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

But I guess what I'm really asking is: Has anyone actually purchased a trike from an online dealer without having test-ridden that model somewhere beforehand? If so, how did that work out for you?

TBH - Relating that you've heard "Dealer X" has a good reputation isn't the kind of info I'm looking for.. I'd prefer to hear of any actual firsthand (positive or negative) experiences, if possible.

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-23, 09:47 PM
linberl

I did purchase. Maybe if you mention what brand trike you plan on buying and the dealers you are considering, you can get a more specific response? You might also get more answers at bent rider online.
Old 03-13-23, 08:34 AM
newbert

I did purchase. Maybe if you mention what brand trike you plan on buying and the dealers you are considering, you can get a more specific response? You might also get more answers at bent rider online.
Well, I tried registering at the bentrider website weeks ago and got no response, so here I am.....

Maybe you're right that I should be more specific.... From LOTS of reading online reviews and my own experience with my existing trike, I think that the ideal trike for me would be an HP Velotechnic FS 20 Scorpion with e-Assist and some sort of internal hub. (Note: I'd be open to ICE or Azub too, but HP Velotechnic is my first choice.) Unfortunately, I don't have a trike shop within hundreds of miles of me that would have this specific model in stock for a test ride. (I live 40 miles north of Albany, NY.) So, I figure that the best I can do with the shops that are within a day's drive of me would be to test ride trikes with the following criteria (in no particular order):

1. Any HP Velotechnic trike with full suspension,
2. If that trike does not have the Shimano Steps e-Assist motor, test-ride ANY other trike that does.,
3 If that trike does NOT have an internal hub, test-ride ANY other trike that does.
4. Check, dbl-check, then triple-check that the FS 20 Scorpion will easily load and fit into the back of my RAV4 (preferably without having to fold it).

If I can check off all 4 of the above, (and am happy with each) after visiting the shops within reasonable distance, that would confirm that the FS 20 Scorpion would be a good choice for me. Then, I'd feel a lot more comfortable in ordering one from online - probably from Utah Trikes, but I'm open to other reputable online dealers.

Am I missing any important steps in trying to get a complete picture without having to test-ride the specific model I'm hoping for? If I were buying a new car, I'd insist on test driving that specific car. Unfortunately, it appears that just isn't possible in the case if buying an expensive trike.

I hope this clarifies my thought process.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-23, 10:04 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by newbert
Well, I tried registering at the bentrider website weeks ago and got no response, so here I am.....

Maybe you're right that I should be more specific.... From LOTS of reading online reviews and my own experience with my existing trike, I think that the ideal trike for me would be an HP Velotechnic FS 20 Scorpion with e-Assist and some sort of internal hub. (Note: I'd be open to ICE or Azub too, but HP Velotechnic is my first choice.) Unfortunately, I don't have a trike shop within hundreds of miles of me that would have this specific model in stock for a test ride. (I live 40 miles north of Albany, NY.) So, I figure that the best I can do with the shops that are within a day's drive of me would be to test ride trikes with the following criteria (in no particular order):

1. Any HP Velotechnic trike with full suspension,
2. If that trike does not have the Shimano Steps e-Assist motor, test-ride ANY other trike that does.,
3 If that trike does NOT have an internal hub, test-ride ANY other trike that does.
4. Check, dbl-check, then triple-check that the FS 20 Scorpion will easily load and fit into the back of my RAV4 (preferably without having to fold it).

If I can check off all 4 of the above, (and am happy with each) after visiting the shops within reasonable distance, that would confirm that the FS 20 Scorpion would be a good choice for me. Then, I'd feel a lot more comfortable in ordering one from online - probably from Utah Trikes, but I'm open to other reputable online dealers.

Am I missing any important steps in trying to get a complete picture without having to test-ride the specific model I'm hoping for? If I were buying a new car, I'd insist on test driving that specific car. Unfortunately, it appears that just isn't possible in the case if buying an expensive trike.

I hope this clarifies my thought process.

Thanks!

Bicycleman is maybe 5-6 hours drive from you - call and see what he has in stock. It would definitely be worth the time to make the trip to be able to test drive trikes. Home - Bicycle Man. And since B-Man carries HP, even if he doesn't have the exact model you want, you could find out what the policy would be if he ordered you the one you want...you drove there and tested it...and decided against it. Maybe he would just keep it in his inventory and you wouldn't be stuck? Especially if you agreed to buy whatever you finally ended up with from him; a deposit that could be transferred to any other trike for example. that would be an advantage over ordering online and make a couple drives worthwhile, I would think.

Last edited by linberl; 03-13-23 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-13-23, 12:08 PM
newbert

Bicycleman is maybe 5-6 hours drive from you - call and see what he has in stock. It would definitely be worth the time to make the trip to be able to test drive trikes. Home - Bicycle Man. And since B-Man carries HP, even if he doesn't have the exact model you want, you could find out what the policy would be if he ordered you the one you want...you drove there and tested it...and decided against it. Maybe he would just keep it in his inventory and you wouldn't be stuck? Especially if you agreed to buy whatever you finally ended up with from him; a deposit that could be transferred to any other trike for example. that would be an advantage over ordering online and make a couple drives worthwhile, I would think.
Yes, Thanks. An overnight visit to Bicycle Man was already on my radar, once this darn snow melts for good.. I hadn't thought of that strategy though. (The one I underlined in your post...) Good idea, Thanks!
Old 03-15-23, 01:11 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
"Although I've never gotten a trike via the net, I can tell you our local dealer, Angletech, www.cycledifferent.com Has sold and shipped 100's of trikes from it's brick and mortor store here in Colorado Springs, CO. They carry several brands and have excellent customer service, JMHO. Angletech-Cycledifferent I've also heard good things about Utah Trikes, FYI"

I second bjjoondo's comment regarding Angletech and Utah Trikes. I bought a short wheelbase recumbent from Angletech in the store (the old one0 and then a recumbent tandem online. Very happy with both. And my Catrike Expedition was from Utah Trikes and came fully assembled, ready to ride. I plan on purchasing another trike from them in a couple of months.
Old 03-15-23, 07:15 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by Tony Marley
"Although I've never gotten a trike via the net, I can tell you our local dealer, Angletech, www.cycledifferent.com Has sold and shipped 100's of trikes from it's brick and mortor store here in Colorado Springs, CO. They carry several brands and have excellent customer service, JMHO. Angletech-Cycledifferent I've also heard good things about Utah Trikes, FYI"

I second bjjoondo's comment regarding Angletech and Utah Trikes. I bought a short wheelbase recumbent from Angletech in the store (the old one0 and then a recumbent tandem online. Very happy with both. And my Catrike Expedition was from Utah Trikes and came fully assembled, ready to ride. I plan on purchasing another trike from them in a couple of months.
Good to know about your positive experiences with Angletech and Utah Trikes. Thanks!