Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Transport Their Tadpole Trike IN a RAV4?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 09:29 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I drive a 2019 Toyota Rav4 and want to make sure any new tadpole trike I buy will fit INSIDE it without folding or removing the wheels. (Removing a seat with Quick release or folding down the seat only would be OK though.)

If anyone transports their tadpole INSIDE their Rav4, I'd appreciate hearing which tadpole it is

FWIW - I'm considering an HP Velotechnic Scorpion FS20. The nearest HP velo dealer to me is about 300 miles away, so I wouldn't want to waste my time if the scorpion, or nothing else, would fit.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-23, 06:42 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I tried to fit my ICE Sprint X Tour 26 RS into my 2021 RAV 4 without folding it, once, at the dealership. Either the rear wheel or the front crank has to go between the front seats and maybe rest of the console box top. Both options result in the chain and cassette or pedals being up where dirty parts can rub against clean things, so I fold the trike for transport. It took a few minutes the first few times, but it gets easier and quicker.

I measured the distance from the front of my RAV 4 console top to the inside of the rear hatch, at the bottom of the window: 90 inches. I see on the HP website that the FS 20 length is 81 inches, maximum, so you should have no problem putting it in your RAV 4, if you insist on not folding it. Maybe you can put the rear wheel on the console and then drape a rag over the cassette and derailleur, or cover the side of the driver's seat with a towel.

And of course, all that happens after folding the rear seat backs forward. You will want to chock the front wheels before driving off.
Old 03-29-23, 08:47 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I tried to fit my ICE Sprint X Tour 26 RS into my 2021 RAV 4 without folding it, once, at the dealership. Either the rear wheel or the front crank has to go between the front seats and maybe rest of the console box top. Both options result in the chain and cassette or pedals being up where dirty parts can rub against clean things, so I fold the trike for transport. It took a few minutes the first few times, but it gets easier and quicker.

I measured the distance from the front of my RAV 4 console top to the inside of the rear hatch, at the bottom of the window: 90 inches. I see on the HP website that the FS 20 length is 81 inches, maximum, so you should have no problem putting it in your RAV 4, if you insist on not folding it. Maybe you can put the rear wheel on the console and then drape a rag over the cassette and derailleur, or cover the side of the driver's seat with a towel.

And of course, all that happens after folding the rear seat backs forward. You will want to chock the front wheels before driving off.
Thanks for responding, DeadGrandPa.. I was hoping to just use 2 ramps to roll the trike, facing forward as I lift the rear, into the Rav4 with the pedals placed between the front seats. From what you describe, it sounds like this could work.. So much the better, if folding the trike turns out to be pretty easy. I just want to avoid having to lift the entire trike because it'll have e-assist which adds weight and I have a bad back. I would think that there would be no need to chock the wheels if it has locking handbrakes, right?

Thnaks again!
Old 03-29-23, 10:14 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Thanks for responding, DeadGrandPa.. I was hoping to just use 2 ramps to roll the trike, facing forward as I lift the rear, into the Rav4 with the pedals placed between the front seats. From what you describe, it sounds like this could work.. So much the better, if folding the trike turns out to be pretty easy. I just want to avoid having to lift the entire trike because it'll have e-assist which adds weight and I have a bad back. I would think that there would be no need to chock the wheels if it has locking handbrakes, right?

Thnaks again!
I'm interested in what you use for ramps. My lifting limit is half of the trike. You should check that the front wheels will roll when it's folded. My 26" wheel comes gently against one of the front wheels when folded, which hinders (but does not prevent) rolling. I think a 20" wheel would clear just fine. Again, comparing different brands folding mechanisms, but they are similar.

I haul my trike folded, usually with a duffle bag and cooler in front of the wheels, behind the front seats.. I'd hate to be hit in the back of the head with a trike if I had an emergency braking situation.
Old 03-29-23, 10:16 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
FWIW, I have put my folding Trident Spike 2 in my prius whlie NOT folded. Different car, yes, but the process of lifting the front end onto the bumper and then leveraging the back up wasn't horrible. My trike is 38 lbs plus 15 for motor/battery. As an old lady no way I could dead lift it. I lifted one front wheel up onto the bumper and locked it, then ran around and lifted the 2d front wheel which was hanging and locked it. The tricky part for me if I had been doing this alone would have been unlocking both wheels and keeping it from rolling backwards. Fortunately I had a friend who stuck a foot behind the single rear wheel on the ground which gave me the time to unlock both wheels with no reversing. After that it was pretty easy to lift the rear and roll it into the car. So if you are alone, you might want something to hold that rear wheel in place (mine doesn't have a brake on the rear wheel). The trike sticks out the back of the prius if I don't fold it so i had to bungie the hatch lid with a blanket wrapped to prevent scratching. I haven't tried it folded yet - it actually requires more dead lifting that way I think.

Last edited by linberl; 03-29-23 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-29-23, 02:49 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm interested in what you use for ramps. My lifting limit is half of the trike. You should check that the front wheels will roll when it's folded. My 26" wheel comes gently against one of the front wheels when folded, which hinders (but does not prevent) rolling. I think a 20" wheel would clear just fine. Again, comparing different brands folding mechanisms, but they are similar.

I haul my trike folded, usually with a duffle bag and cooler in front of the wheels, behind the front seats.. I'd hate to be hit in the back of the head with a trike if I had an emergency braking situation.
These are the ramps that I hope to use.
Old 03-29-23, 02:54 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by linberl
FWIW, I have put my folding Trident Spike 2 in my prius whlie NOT folded. Different car, yes, but the process of lifting the front end onto the bumper and then leveraging the back up wasn't horrible. My trike is 38 lbs plus 15 for motor/battery. As an old lady no way I could dead lift it. I lifted one front wheel up onto the bumper and locked it, then ran around and lifted the 2d front wheel which was hanging and locked it. The tricky part for me if I had been doing this alone would have been unlocking both wheels and keeping it from rolling backwards. Fortunately I had a friend who stuck a foot behind the single rear wheel on the ground which gave me the time to unlock both wheels with no reversing. After that it was pretty easy to lift the rear and roll it into the car. So if you are alone, you might want something to hold that rear wheel in place (mine doesn't have a brake on the rear wheel). The trike sticks out the back of the prius if I don't fold it so i had to bungie the hatch lid with a blanket wrapped to prevent scratching. I haven't tried it folded yet - it actually requires more dead lifting that way I think.
Wow! If you manage to fit your unfolded trike into a Prius, I would think that just about any trike with 3 20-inch wheels would fit into my Rav4 with no problem. Thanks!
Old 03-29-23, 04:14 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts