Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Material Preference Poll

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Frame Material Preference
Carbon Fiber
31.25%
Aluminum
7.81%
Steel
47.66%
Titanium
13.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 09:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts

I'm on the hunt for another bike (like I really need one) and was looking into the different frame material options available. In the poll, pick what your preference would be and not necessarily what you currently have. I know some of you probably have all the above options so your opinion will be very valuable to me. TIA Smokey
Old 11-10-22, 12:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Will you buy the one with the most votes?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-10-22, 03:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Steel
Old 11-10-22, 03:54 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
It depends on the type of riding and a couple dozen other factors.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 11-10-22, 04:16 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
My answer is ... it depends. I chose carbon when I went for a new road bike, but decided to stick with aluminium for my new mountain bike. If you were to ask for my reasoning I'd have to say I'm not entirely certain. Having broken one carbon frame in a crash I suppose that did weigh on my mind a bit - much more likely to crash a mountain bike. On the other hand, I have a friend with a full carbon mountain bike which has been great for him, and his riding style is quite a bit wilder than mine. Very pleased with both bikes. The only thing I'd change if I was buying a new road bike now is I'd certainly go for disk brakes and quite probably for eTap or Di2 rather than mechanical.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 11-10-22, 04:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
My answer is ... it depends. I chose carbon when I went for a new road bike, but decided to stick with aluminium for my new mountain bike. If you were to ask for my reasoning I'd have to say I'm not entirely certain. Having broken one carbon frame in a crash I suppose that did weigh on my mind a bit - much more likely to crash a mountain bike. On the other hand, I have a friend with a full carbon mountain bike which has been great for him, and his riding style is quite a bit wilder than mine. Very pleased with both bikes. The only thing I'd change if I was buying a new road bike now is I'd certainly go for disk brakes and quite probably for eTap or Di2 rather than mechanical.
I've seen plenty of cracked high-end aluminium mtb frames. My last 2 mountain bikes since 2014 have been carbon, with no issues. Although I did get them both wrapped in Invisiframe for added stone chip protection - which has worked perfectly.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-10-22, 05:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'd have to think about it. The subject never comes up on BF or out in the cycling world. It's a new one for me.
Old 11-10-22, 05:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Since you plan to use the bike for heavy touring I think you should go with steel. Or is this thread not sincere?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-22, 06:22 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
If you're "on the hunt"..then make just a tiny bit of effort and do some research here on BF..or anywhere else. This topic get regularly flogged to death, and has been for years. There's nothing new from the last flogging or the flogging before that......

Unless, of course, you're just trolling
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-10-22, 09:52 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Carbon and derailleurs for really fast and really useless toys for rich folks.
Steel and IGH Rohloff14 for round the world touring. Front hub is a SA XL-FDD dyno drum brake.
Steel and SA 3 speed for commuter bike. Also comes with drum brakes, chaincase, fenders, lights and racks.
Aluminum OK for just riding around. Could have either IGH or defaileurs.
Walmart for the totally cheap and uninformed, who can't or won't go far.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-10-22, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Seems like there should be a choice for "any" or "all of the above". I really don't look at the material a bike is made of. I'm looking at price, components and geometry. Plus aesthetics for my eye and things like weight and how the bike handles the terrain and surfaces I ride on.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-22, 10:16 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've seen plenty of cracked high-end aluminium mtb frames. My last 2 mountain bikes since 2014 have been carbon, with no issues. Although I did get them both wrapped in Invisiframe for added stone chip protection - which has worked perfectly.
Well, I did say I wasn't sure of my reasoning. I also didn't mention above that the crash that broke my carbon frame would almost certainly have damaged an aluminium or steel frame as well, almost certainly beyond repair for the alumium one. I have no experience with titanium so I don't know how that would have fared. In fact, in retrospect, I'm impressed at how well the carbon frame stood up; having hit an earth bank at about 30 miles an hour it only had a break on the inside of one chain stay. It did better then me, in fact. I smashed my clavicle and now have a titanium Stryker plate screwed to it.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 11-10-22, 10:21 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Steel and IGH Rohloff14 for round the world touring. Front hub is a SA XL-FDD dyno drum brake.
Steel and SA 3 speed for commuter bike. Also comes with drum brakes, chaincase, fenders, lights and racks.
Aluminum OK for just riding around. Could have either IGH or defaileurs.
Walmart for the totally cheap and uninformed, who can't or won't go far.
Lol! But it depends on the commute. Steel is fine - I commuted on a steel bike for years - but for my 18 mile commute with a 600 ft climb going home there's no way I'd manage it regularly on a SA 3 speed. I do have a Brompton, which is steel and SA 3 speed, but that's just for a short commute when I do most of it by train, which is very rare these days, or the odd local trip where a folder is handy. So my commuting bike now is carbon and derailleurs.
Old 11-10-22, 10:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,598 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
OMG according to the Gambler I am officially a “rich folk”, but the bad news is that my bike is “really useless”. But do rich folks really get rich by throwing their money away on useless stuff? Now I don’t know how good I feel about being so rich. Maybe I should go ride my non-useless steel bike or my aluminum bike and feel like I spend my wisely but then I won’t feel rich. I just don’t know how to feel. What a conundrum.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-22, 11:11 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I personally think the frame material "debate" is much ado about nothing. The "best" frame material is whatever your favorite bike is made of.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-10-22, 11:15 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Since you plan to use the bike for heavy touring I think you should go with steel. Or is this thread not sincere?
It's very sincere. But steel is actually on the bottom of the list for me as I have a steel bike that while comfortable, isn't something I want more of.
Old 11-10-22, 11:16 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Will you buy the one with the most votes?

John
No. I'm hoping people chime in with 'why' they prefer a certain material and then I can make an informed decision. Thanks
Old 11-10-22, 11:22 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Iride01
Seems like there should be a choice for "any" or "all of the above". I really don't look at the material a bike is made of. I'm looking at price, components and geometry. Plus aesthetics for my eye and things like weight and how the bike handles the terrain and surfaces I ride on.
Those were my first considerations too until I got really serious and started seeing all the frame material options out there. Then I got confused. I've been researching them for a while now and only getting more confused. My steel bikes are heavy but durable. I want something lighter. My aluminum bikes are lighter and still durable and a good option. Then I find guys that really swear by titanium for very legit reasons. Confused.
Old 11-10-22, 11:24 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

I don't plan on doing any 'heavy' touring btw. Not sure what put that thought in your head.
Old 11-10-22, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Those were my first considerations too until I got really serious and started seeing all the frame material options out there. Then I got confused. I've been researching them for a while now and only getting more confused. My steel bikes are heavy but durable. I want something lighter. My aluminum bikes are lighter and still durable and a good option. Then I find guys that really swear by titanium for very legit reasons. Confused.
You get confused because it's not so much the frame material that makes a bike, but how well that bike fits your intended needs.

All the frame materials you've mentioned have been used with great success since before the turn of the century. There have been some few spectacular failures for all of those materials. Whether one material has more tensile strength or is more ductile or has another differing quality is of not really a factor for these materials as the designers, engineers and builders have shown that they can build some excellent bikes with those materials.

All you have to do is find the bike that matches what you want and need in a bike.

If you get to worrying too much about material then you might never find the bike that's right for you. You might be setting your self up for a endless quest for your imagined holy grail. I'd actually done that for many years when I was blinded by my "steel is real" mentality. It kept me from buying a new bike for quite a few years.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-10-22 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-22, 11:43 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I don't plan on doing any 'heavy' touring btw. Not sure what put that thought in your head.
Then give us a hint. What kind of frame are you looking for? What will it be used for? Is it a bent? Is it a BMX bike? Will it be bigger than a breadbox?
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-10-22, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

Not sure why you didn't describe what type of riding you plan to do with this new bike.

See what I was getting at now? I never had kids because, among other things, I didn't (and still don't) want to spoon feed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-22, 11:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It depends on the type of riding and a couple dozen other factors.
I was wondering where that concept of heavy touring came from.

But, as a few people have mentioned, it really depends on a person's goals.

I really like my CF ROAD bike. It just feels so natural. Just thing I was missing with riding a steel bike all those years. I've commuted on it, but I do somewhat of a hybrid commuting that takes me somewhat longer distances than some people. I.E. Double Century commutes?

But, I'd really look at a person's goals.
  • Road cycling: whether it is casual or racing, then CF may be a reasonable choice.
  • Many types of touring: one might consider a type of steel bike, with the best tubing one can afford.
  • Grocery Getter: Steel or aluminum. Whatever is cheap and rugged. Cargo bike?
  • All weather bike: Perhaps Titanium.
  • MTB: I suppose it depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 11-10-22, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Then give us a hint.
Garbage in, garbage out. Surprising for someone with such an impressive bike remedy, including fixing bikes for people for free.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-10-22, 12:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I was wondering where that concept of heavy touring came from.
See post #22. The OP borders on worthless without any information on the intended use unless you are....

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.