Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Co-op dilemma - another rusty "classic"

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-27-23, 09:15 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 324 Posts

For your consideration - an early 1970s Raleigh Sprite 27 that looks very much like the one on the right in this picture, except kinda rusty and dirty:

Pluses - nothing seems to be stuck and it has all the "R" nuts and other little bits (except I don't think the pedals are original). Even the cotters came out easily. The rust is mild by the standards of many here, but enough to pit the chrome.

Minuses - It was never a high end bike, so the enthusiast market is very limited, and the Huret derailleurs mean that it will never be a very good bike by modern standards for a regular person to ride around, even if I were a better restorer/mechanic.

I'm having a really hard time getting motivated to spend hours rehabbing this bike in original condition given that it will probably sell for no more than $125, and the person who buys it may not be very happy with it unless they really appreciate clunky old technology. The obvious economic choice would be to replace the wheels and components with 80s bin parts - the paint is decent so it would look pretty good and ride pretty well. Then I could sell the little Raleigh-branded bits to you guys. Or I could turn it into a 3-speed - I'm pretty sure we have a 27" SA wheel hanging around somewhere. But it bugs me to part out a bike that basically has everything original.

Any great ideas? Or anybody within driving distance want a dirty Sprite 27? This is not intended as a sale thread, I'm more looking for sympathy. But I'm a paid member so if somebody gets bent out of shape and wants to move it to the C&V sales forum I don't really care.
Old 02-27-23, 09:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
@albrt I've seen those bikes. Someone listed a bunch of neglected bikes on CL, including a pair of '93 Trek 820 Antelopes, a Peugeot Ocelot, and a Diamond Back something (red, with sus. fork and V-brakes). Only $20 apiece, but some are in very rough shape, and I do not need another project bike. The trick is to silently wish them well and let them go. Not easy, but it can be done.
Old 02-27-23, 09:36 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Sorry for any confusion - I'm a volunteer rehabbing vintage bikes for a co-op and this bike was donated so we already have it. I'm mainly just whining because the motivation to effort-required ratio on this bike is low, unless I break down and strip it.
Likes For albrt:
Old 02-27-23, 09:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
For your consideration - an early 1970s Raleigh Sprite 27 that looks very much like the one on the right in this picture, except kinda rusty and dirty:

Any great ideas?
...that horse looks good in the photo. Good conformation and stance. The bike ? If it's a co-op sale, and the chrome is pitted, I would say minimal cleanup and just make it mechanically good.

You sound like you might be suffering from co-op burnout, which is a real thing. But it might also be the long winter, end of February blues. They made and sold about a gajillion of these, so it's not a big deal. There will be other bicycles, that were more meaningful in their time, that might better inspire your efforts.
Old 02-27-23, 09:56 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

have you considered that the co-op could offer it for sale on an as-is basis for the buyer to put in good running condition

if for example the co-op has mechanical classes this could be a machine for a student to use as a learning tool if they do not already have a project machine they would like to work on...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-27-23, 10:03 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 127 Posts
^^^juvela is spot on here. The coop I volunteer for does this and it's a win-win. People get a cheap project bike, the coop frees up space and potentially the person buying it will take a class at the coop to learn to fix the bike.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 02-27-23, 10:05 PM
albrt 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

have you considered that the co-op could offer it for sale on an as-is basis for the buyer to put in good running condition

if for example the co-op has mechanical classes this could be a machine for a student to use as a learning tool if they do not already have a project machine they would like to work on...

-----
We've tried that sort of thing, but the level of enthusiasm among the youth of today is not high either for vintage projects or for classes. We're the low-end co-op in town mostly working with homeless and low income customers. We sell bikes to downtowners and students to pay the rent, but the sale bikes mostly need to be ready-to-go. If anybody reading this wants project bikes we have them, but probably not high-end diamonds in the rough.

Edit - I hope I don't sound dismissive. I'm very interested in discussing this type of thing, maybe somebody will come up with a new angle we haven't tried. I brought up the idea of a co-op forum with the powers that be, but no progress so far.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...-op-forum.html

Last edited by albrt; 02-27-23 at 10:15 PM.
Likes For albrt:
Old 02-27-23, 11:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 761 Posts
I may have contributed to Al's angst by possibly being the person who plucked the Sprite from the "recyctrash" pile at Recycle Your Bicycle. I grabbed a number of C&V bikes that seemed to deserve another chance, but now with the plummeting of the resale market they've become less of a historic asset and more of an inventory burden. And with the overall lack of sanity around the shop, we don't need yet another previously-sane volunteer lapsing into bike-induced neurosis, psychosis, or ennui. Although we have gotten rather good at adapting to it.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-28-23, 03:15 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 624 Posts
I hear you….

This tall Raleigh has been hanging on the hook for a bit. Tried selling for $75, build it yourself and no takers.

march, it goes down to $50 before finally…….the recycle bin.

it’s a shame because it is real pretty, patina and all. No idea the year or model.

not enough time in the day to save every C&V that comes in.
Old 02-28-23, 05:23 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
I'd say don't get too nostalgic. Better to create a useful bike for someone by swapping out parts.

The bike has no feelings, but if it did, making it a functional bike would honour it more
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 02-28-23, 07:13 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts
I'm a volunteer rehabbing vintage bikes for a co-op
Cool. You do this a lot? Maybe you could build a gigantic tank for oxalic acid baths, big enough to drop entire bikes in. "Well, I'll check on it tomorrow"...

Old 02-28-23, 07:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
This tall Raleigh has been hanging on the hook for a bit. Tried selling for $75, build it yourself and no takers.

it’s a shame because it is real pretty, patina and all. No idea the year or model.
Recycle bin? How about $20 or even "free giveaway," if you can't get $50 for it?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 02-28-23, 08:29 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Even if it gets in the hands of a flipper, listing it for free on OfferUp as-is might be the best recourse. "Free" opens up a greater number of people willing to sink money into a Sprite.

Food for thought.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-28-23, 09:27 AM
albrt 

I think I'll go ahead and replace the derailleurs with Shimanos or Suntours from the bin, then maybe I'll keep the Hurets in a bag in case the buyer might ever want to restore.
Old 02-28-23, 10:06 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I think I'll go ahead and replace the derailleurs with Shimanos or Suntours from the bin, then maybe I'll keep the Hurets in a bag in case the buyer might ever want to restore.
That's my first modification on any of these, in addition to removal of the Atom freewheel, which is prone to chain skate. A Suntour 5-speed or similar should do fine on the original chain, provided it meshes correctly in the small cog.

If you have a set of Kool-Stop pads to spare, it should also stave off the inevitable switch to aluminum 27" rims - which I dare say are probably becoming less and less plentiful.

-Kurt

Old 02-28-23, 10:18 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Recycle bin? How about $20 or even "free giveaway," if you can't get $50 for it?
Its already a sliding scale. If someone said they have no money, we might ask if they might push a broom for a spell.

I'm the guy always pulling frames and bits from the metal bin, hoping someone might come in and give them a new home.

Just like that E-Harmony lady who wants to but can't save every cat, I can't save every bike.
Old 02-28-23, 10:52 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I have a green Raleigh Sprite 3 speed I spent far too much time on with some cutting wax bringing the paint up to a high gloss luster & far too much effort with 4-ought steel wool & wax on all the shiny bits. Squirted in some Phil's oil to bring the Sturmey-Archer back to life. Then some good condition used tires were installed from the imperial tires pile.

I put a work stoppage order when it came to the headset & bottom bracket rebuild (old grease has turned waxy) due to sunk labor costs & labeled it $125 as-is...In 8 months, not a soul has even bothered to look at it.

Last edited by base2; 02-28-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-28-23, 09:13 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts

Pluses - nothing seems to be stuck and it has all the "R" nuts and other little bits (except I don't think the pedals are original). Even the cotters came out easily. The rust is mild by the standards of many here, but enough to pit the chrome.

Minuses - It was never a high end bike, so the enthusiast market is very limited, and the Huret derailleurs mean that it will never be a very good bike by modern standards for a regular person to ride around, even if I were a better restorer/mechanic.

I'm having a really hard time getting motivated to spend hours rehabbing this bike in original condition given that it will probably sell for no more than $125, and the person who buys it may not be very happy with it unless they really appreciate clunky old technology. The obvious economic choice would be to replace the wheels and components with 80s bin parts - the paint is decent so it would look pretty good and ride pretty well. Then I could sell the little Raleigh-branded bits to you guys. Or I could turn it into a 3-speed - I'm pretty sure we have a 27" SA wheel hanging around somewhere. But it bugs me to part out a bike that basically has everything original.

Any great ideas? Or anybody within driving distance want a dirty Sprite 27? This is not intended as a sale thread, I'm more looking for sympathy. But I'm a paid member so if somebody gets bent out of shape and wants to move it to the C&V sales forum I don't really care.
Kind of sad, but only in that the Sprite was Raleigh's last all-steel derailleur bike, if I recall correctly, and if you don't count the aluminum Sturmey Archer spoke protector--just about the worst dork disk ever made. It was essentially a Raleigh Sports with a cluster instead of a 3-speed and 27" rims. Not a bad bike for bike path or rail-trail use, though I would prefer the 3-speed.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 02-28-23, 09:19 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

not enough time in the day to save every C&V that comes in.
Not real sure which model that is, but it could very well have at least some 531 tubes. The seat stay caps are throwing me.
Old 02-28-23, 09:50 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
Not real sure which model that is, but it could very well have at least some 531 tubes. The seat stay caps are throwing me.
I'd guess Super Grand Prix, a non-531 bike. Right-ish color for the frame but the SGP usually had black panels instead of black lugs and crown paint.

Regarding the original problem with the Sprite 27, I don't have specific advice except that at our co-op I've found a few complete but uncool/undesirable machines and I've rescued more than one of them, and at the Salvation Army I've seen perfect uncool classics not be sold in an auction and land in the dumpster. Good luck!
Old 03-01-23, 02:19 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 132 Posts
This is why I stay away from bike co-ops and animal shelters. They all deserve a good home and it breaks my heart.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 03-01-23, 09:20 AM
Mr. 66

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I'd guess Super Grand Prix, a non-531 bike. Right-ish color for the frame but the SGP usually had black panels instead of black lugs and crown paint.

Regarding the original problem with the Sprite 27, I don't have specific advice except that at our co-op I've found a few complete but uncool/undesirable machines and I've rescued more than one of them, and at the Salvation Army I've seen perfect uncool classics not be sold in an auction and land in the dumpster. Good luck!
That looks like it may be a Super Course, with funky black rattle can on the lugs.
Old 03-01-23, 06:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by base2
.In 8 months, not a soul has even bothered to look at it.
It's amazing how wildly different various markets are.

I can barely get rid of a modern Schwinn hybrid right now, but I wound up selling this Sprite within 24 hours of listing it, last year. Believe it or not, it's the second time I've sold it; previous owner bought it six years prior, then sold it back to me last year.

It still had that aforementioned Suntour freewheel conversion and an (ugly but functional) Shimano Acera rear derailer. Stem shifters are racheting Suntour as it has a Sports stem on it; don't remember why.

The combo was working just as good six years later too. No chain skate, excellent engagement in each cog.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-02-23, 08:20 AM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
If you have a set of Kool-Stop pads to spare, it should also stave off the inevitable switch to aluminum 27" rims - which I dare say are probably becoming less and less plentiful.

-Kurt
I recently placed and got an order for four Sunringle CR18 27" 630x18 36h aluminum rims. But note, they are no longer listed on the Sunringle website and most of the dealers listing them are "Currently Sold Out".

Last edited by reroll; 03-02-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 09:31 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

​​​​​​

presence of Alatet headset tells us steerer threaded 24TPI

nice Vagner DP+ forged crown

lug pattern appears BOCAMA 18/I

seating pad on outer face of brake bridge is a feature which came in about 1976 on frames of this calibre

presence of centrepull bridge tells us it likely came fitted with Weinmann centrepull brakes

housing stop for covered cable type front mech suggests gear ensemble may have been MAEDA at this era

"Type II" cotterless bottom bracket assembly suggests it may have been fitted with a Sakae Ringyo chainset Raleigh used at this era

would expect it to be at least three-tube 531 plain gauge

expect pillar size of either 26.2 or 26.4

definitely pre-Huffman; may have come through the Oklahoma facility

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-02-23 at 09:57 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.