Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Driver with powerful ties calls state rep instead of 911 after 'hit and run' crash

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Driver with powerful ties calls state rep instead of 911 after 'hit and run' crash

Old 02-16-20, 10:21 PM
  #1  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
Thread Starter
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
Driver with powerful ties calls state rep instead of 911 after 'hit and run' crash

When they all do the coverup game and a cyclist pays with his life:
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Likes For CB HI:
Old 02-16-20, 11:33 PM
  #2  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
Thread Starter
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 02-16-20, 11:39 PM
  #3  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
Thread Starter
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...9-55dd04e6f413
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...0-1040f5519a93
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...e-303b8c04a907
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Last edited by CB HI; 02-16-20 at 11:43 PM.
CB HI is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 05:49 AM
  #4  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
"Georgia State Patrol is investigating the cause of the crash..."

Wanna bet it comes with an announcement of "helmet status." Or "cyclist swerved."




Hit and run, leaving the scene... SIGH
genec is online now  
Old 02-17-20, 06:22 AM
  #5  
horatio 
Hump, what hump?
 
horatio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SC midlands
Posts: 1,886

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Another “master of the universe,” no doubt.
__________________
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
horatio is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 08:06 AM
  #6  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,844

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 415 Posts
That makes my blood boil. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am not confident justice will prevail.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-17-20, 08:09 AM
  #7  
Moe Zhoost
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,478

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 351 Posts
BZ to the Coroner for aggressively dogging this case.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 09:35 AM
  #8  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Stone Mountain, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 965

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 212 Posts
Another 1% cover up....

Complicity of a "representative" AND police....
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 01:13 PM
  #9  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,596

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 411 Posts
I have to wonder. Did the three involved in this obvious coverup think this would just go away?

This pisses me off so much. They should all be in jail, and they should have to pay this guy's family for the rest of their bloody lives.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-19-20, 07:41 AM
  #10  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,612

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman View Post
Another 1% cover up....

Complicity of a "representative" AND police....
But "I have it on the best advice that they're, uhhmmmm, a really wonderful person who did a lot for cancer patients and uhhhmmmmm the punishment is just very unjust, unfair even"
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-19-20, 10:50 AM
  #11  
AndrewJB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 74

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
I have to wonder. Did the three involved in this obvious coverup think this would just go away?
This happened in September 2019, so for the last 5 months that is exactly what these dirt-bags thought!
If it wasn't for the investigative reporter bringing out the story they would be going about their lives, making summer vacation plans, and not thinking twice about the guy they left to die in a ditch!
AndrewJB is offline  
Likes For AndrewJB:
Old 02-19-20, 02:55 PM
  #12  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewJB View Post
This happened in September 2019, so for the last 5 months that is exactly what these dirt-bags thought!
If it wasn't for the investigative reporter bringing out the story they would be going about their lives, making summer vacation plans, and not thinking twice about the guy they left to die in a ditch!
Well gosh..."it was just some guy on a bicycle..."

Ironically, I used to commute with a couple of surgeons... it is quite sad how some folks assume the value of person based on the vehicle they may be using.

I also knew of a CTO of a large Telecom company that commuted on a Segway, using bike lanes.
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 02-22-20, 01:43 PM
  #13  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I also knew of a CTO of a large Telecom company that commuted on a Segway, using bike lanes.
Bad analogy. There isn't anyone who is unaware of what Segway's cost and anyone who hits a Segway pilot knows they are in deep ______. I mean, the driver who hit the poor sod riding an MTB in the dark because of one too many DWI also knew he had better call someone powerful to help him out. A human life is still a human life. Hit and runs are about FEAR of consequences much more than they are about the lack of worth of the victim.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 02-22-20, 02:50 PM
  #14  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Bad analogy. There isn't anyone who is unaware of what Segway's cost and anyone who hits a Segway pilot knows they are in deep ______. I mean, the driver who hit the poor sod riding an MTB in the dark because of one too many DWI also knew he had better call someone powerful to help him out. A human life is still a human life. Hit and runs are about FEAR of consequences much more than they are about the lack of worth of the victim.
I had no idea what a Segway cost... and do those same drivers know what a new Trek Madone costs? Could they tell a Trek Madone from a Schwinn?

Not saying that this cyclist was on a Trek, but simply that I rather doubt a motorist, drunk or not has a clue who is out there riding a bike... ie., those surgeons I commuted with.

Is there a need to assign value to one's vehicle in order to be able to claim a piece of the road? Just how much is that motorist worth as they WALK to their car?
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 02-22-20, 04:54 PM
  #15  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,341

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I had no idea what a Segway cost... and do those same drivers know what a new Trek Madone costs? Could they tell a Trek Madone from a Schwinn?

Not saying that this cyclist was on a Trek, but simply that I rather doubt a motorist, drunk or not has a clue who is out there riding a bike... ie., those surgeons I commuted with.

Is there a need to assign value to one's vehicle in order to be able to claim a piece of the road? Just how much is that motorist worth as they WALK to their car?
It's exceedingly difficult to tell the make let alone mode of a bicycle one is approaching, whether from ahead or behind, in any motor vehicle. Besides, it could be a wealthy person riding a beater bike on a commute or something.

Reading all these tales of woe, it's easier to see why so many people think that bicycling on the roads with traffic is so dangerous.

Be careful out there. Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 08:01 PM
  #16  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Is there a need to assign value to one's vehicle in order to be able to claim a piece of the road? Just how much is that motorist worth as they WALK to their car?
You are the one claiming that drivers are in fact making this calculation and I am saying that that is incorrect. They do not. Cannot, actually, as you yourself have pointed out. So what, exactly, is your point??
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 08:13 PM
  #17  
dudeliving
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
This is just another news about hit and run. I bet there are tons of stories and still no one knows who to blame.
dudeliving is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 10:43 PM
  #18  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are the one claiming that drivers are in fact making this calculation and I am saying that that is incorrect. They do not. Cannot, actually, as you yourself have pointed out. So what, exactly, is your point??

That the driver in this case made the assumption (as other drivers do) that this was "just some flake on a bicycle... who cares..."

Thus the driver assumed that after calling "connections," this could all be ignored...
genec is online now  
Old 02-23-20, 12:05 AM
  #19  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
Thread Starter
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
That the driver in this case made the assumption (as other drivers do) that this was "just some flake on a bicycle... who cares..."

Thus the driver assumed that after calling "connections," this could all be ignored...
Well, it almost did work.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 05:21 AM
  #20  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Well, it almost did work.
True... the entitled motoris mentality DOES tend to be dominant. How many times have you heard "Get off the road, the roads are for cars..."

So the last news I saw on this indicated an "investigation..." Wonder how that's going.
genec is online now  
Likes For genec:
Old 02-23-20, 10:06 AM
  #21  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,493

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
How many times have you heard "Get off the road, the roads are for cars..."
Second hand and third hand reports from the usual suspects on Bike Forums - Numerous times.

While riding on the street or road - Seldom, no times in the last several years.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 02:13 AM
  #22  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,722

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10364 Post(s)
Liked 2,379 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Second hand and third hand reports from the usual suspects on Bike Forums - Numerous times.

While riding on the street or road - Seldom, no times in the last several years.
Makes sense... The population of Burlington, Iowa is listed as 25,663 in the 2010 census, a decline from the 26,839 population in the 2000 census.

No doubt everyone in town knows you by now, and it appears a few have left, too... less traffic, eh?
genec is online now  
Old 02-26-20, 12:41 PM
  #23  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
Thread Starter
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Makes sense... The population of Burlington, Iowa is listed as 25,663 in the 2010 census, a decline from the 26,839 population in the 2000 census.

No doubt everyone in town knows you by now, and it appears a few have left, too... less traffic, eh?
ILTB is banned, so he will not see your post for 6 months.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 02-26-20, 01:49 PM
  #24  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,741
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
ILTB is banned, so he will not see your post for 6 months.
He can see it but won't be able to respond, if banned. 6 months?! Yowza, that's harsh. We don't always agree, but I think some of you manage to miss the essential common sense in many of his posts. Cyclists as a community are missing an essential down-to-earthness that pays off big when things go sideways on the blacktop or in forum discussions.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 03-06-20, 08:32 AM
  #25  
AndrewJB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 74

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Case is going to a Grand Jury this month (March).
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...0-1040f5519a93
AndrewJB is offline  
Likes For AndrewJB:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.