Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Problems with hot-headed cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Problems with hot-headed cyclists

Old 06-25-20, 01:01 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 284 Posts
Car racers call that the "loser flyby".

Personally if I can't pass someone going uphill I concede them to be the stronger rider and try not to pass them going back down hill again. Doesn't always work out, as big as I am gravity makes me fast down hill, but hate playing leapfrog where we are constantly passing each other.

There was one time riding my mountain bike where I got behind some lycra guy on a high end racing bike. I gained on him on the level and when we went up a hill he slowed so much I had to pass him. He geared down and tried chasing me but couldn't hang on the uphill, I was just riding. Broke into a long level before coming to a turn into a populated playground area. As I slowed for the kids the guy jammed around me with no warning on a curving narrow path. Guess he didn't like getting passed by a grey beard 25 years older than him dressed in gym shorts and a bandanna instead of lycra and a helmet.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-25-20, 07:37 PM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike, Phantom 20 kid's MTB, Jackal Mio Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Any two cyclists going in the same direction is automatically a race for some folks. The minute you passed them, you threw down the gauntlet... they "MUST" respond to the challenge. This is the unwritten rule. Applies in lots of other places in life... two sailboats, two similar muscle cars, two empire building managers in the same office... two kids building sand castles on the beach... grades in the classroom. It IS a way of life.

Either don't pass, or slow down extremely at the crest to avoid the conflict... or learn to be more tolerant, or just get out there and kick a$$. The choice is yours.
Slow down extremely at the crest seems like a very good solution.Pretend to be really tired while I'm at it too!
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 06-25-20, 07:53 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Car racers call that the "loser flyby".

Personally if I can't pass someone going uphill I concede them to be the stronger rider and try not to pass them going back down hill again. Doesn't always work out, as big as I am gravity makes me fast down hill, but hate playing leapfrog where we are constantly passing each other.

There was one time riding my mountain bike where I got behind some lycra guy on a high end racing bike. I gained on him on the level and when we went up a hill he slowed so much I had to pass him. He geared down and tried chasing me but couldn't hang on the uphill, I was just riding. Broke into a long level before coming to a turn into a populated playground area. As I slowed for the kids the guy jammed around me with no warning on a curving narrow path. Guess he didn't like getting passed by a grey beard 25 years older than him dressed in gym shorts and a bandanna instead of lycra and a helmet.
The lycra guy sounds like someone compensating for something really tiny!

That's what I find disturbing when someone would cause danger to themselves and others just to sooth their broken ego.

Of course, it's perfectly OK to do it and be extremely competitive in an officially sanctioned race but out in the public roads, worse, in a crowded city, safety 1st becomes paramount.
Old 06-25-20, 11:26 PM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 106 Posts
Whether I'm riding my bike or driving my car, somebody always wants to go faster. I'll let them go ahead of me when it's safe to do so, and hoping that I don't end up being the first person on the scene of a collision.
Likes For roundypndr:
Old 06-26-20, 06:07 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I don't know where the bridge is, but in many states it's illegal for a motor vehicle to pass another on a bridge. Sometimes bikes are considered motor vehicles per the law.
For us it's legal move and the bridge has no dedicated lanes for two wheelers. We all share the same lanes with motorists.
Old 06-26-20, 06:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 185 Posts
I try not to pass other riders unless I'm relatively sure I'll stay in front of them. But speeds vary on hills and I do sometimes pass folks going up who then pass me on the way down the other side. I don't have any problem with that.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-26-20, 09:45 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
I wanna see the 20x14 girls bike. (with basket)
It seems I'm still not allowed to post pictures yet (less than 10 total posts since my membership).

After the full fenders were added, my bike started looking like an e-bike with its thick frame. I can assure it's 100% human-powered.

It's possible the guy I passed mistook it for an e-bike.
Old 06-26-20, 10:27 AM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4800 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,241 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
Slow down extremely at the crest seems like a very good solution.Pretend to be really tired while I'm at it too!

Please don't do that--no reason you should have to "dumb down" your riding just because someone has a fragile male ego.

I had a situation where I barely managed to pass a female runner going up hill--she was really fast. We were on opposite sides of the road and I was just totally impressed with her speed. I called to her as a joke "I can't tell you how depressing it is to me that we';re going about the same speed." She actually looked kind of annoyed at the backhanded compliment. Or it could have just been a "don't bother me when I'm training" thing. But I realized later, it probably came off as "because you're a girl" rather than "because you're running and I'm on a bike", which is how I meant it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-26-20, 01:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
After the full fenders were added, my bike started looking like an e-bike with its thick frame. I can assure it's 100% human-powered.

I have had some rather smug E-bike riders pass me. I just smile and know that likely at the time they passed me, and certainly by the end of my ride, that I will have out distanced the maximum range of their E-bike. I am hoping I can hold off needing an E-bike another 13 years, until I am over 80.
Old 06-26-20, 07:49 PM
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4800 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,241 Posts
It seems I'm still not allowed to post pictures yet (less than 10 total posts since my membership).

You just passed 10 posts. Pic! Pic! Pic!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-26-20, 08:20 PM
cubewheels

Here's a pic of my bike. It's a cheap as China branded bike to help prevent theft, in addition to the chain lock and of course the 20 x 14 size (nobody likes to steal a kid's bike)

The BMX-size monstrosity is 36 lbs heavy!!! However, I only weigh 132 lbs which helps make up for the huge weight and gives a low CoG. I've only gone about 50 kph on it in the flats (sprinting in green light and friend pacing me in a car, wearing a BMX helmet, baggy jacket, six pocket shorts, totally un-aero!). Can't maintain that speed for long though and I'm talking seconds, NOT minutes! I've only been cycling again for 3 weeks. Might buy a computer eventually to monitor my improvement.

Wearing a facemask and cycling in 120'F heat is probably making me tire sooner. Can't remove the mask for any reason or the cops will be chasing me in no time!

Last edited by cubewheels; 06-26-20 at 08:24 PM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 06-26-20, 08:38 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Not saying you are, but some riders are pretty conservative going downhill, or their bikes are inherently slow coasting. and having to ride the brakes behind them gets to be a drag.

scott s.
Old 06-26-20, 09:33 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Not saying you are, but some riders are pretty conservative going downhill, or their bikes are inherently slow coasting. and having to ride the brakes behind them gets to be a drag.

scott s.
There's lots of two wheeler accidents where I go down.

It's a sharp downhill turn with plenty of motorists changing lanes all the time. Usually accidents happen when the two wheeler is trying to go faster than the traffic, a car swerves into their lane without warning (drivers where I live are lazy at using turn signals), then they brake hard in the turn, losing grip and falling down.

We all share the same lanes in there (no two-wheeler lanes). Absolutely the worst place to race. I always go down at the same speed as the cars / motorbikes (60 kph tops) so if anyone passes, they'd be traveling faster than everyone else, close to the limit of traction which greatly diminishes the margin for braking without losing grip

I've been a car driver for longer and aware that it might safer to match the speed of the cars than ride at a significantly slower speed. I used to an impatient driver and sometimes get distracted by a slow-going cyclist, confused whether to pass them in the next lane or slow down, especially when the roads are crowded and difficult to change lanes.

Last edited by cubewheels; 06-26-20 at 09:52 PM.
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 06-26-20, 09:47 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
I have had some rather smug E-bike riders pass me. I just smile and know that likely at the time they passed me, and certainly by the end of my ride, that I will have out distanced the maximum range of their E-bike. I am hoping I can hold off needing an E-bike another 13 years, until I am over 80.
That attitude seems to be common, even among e-scooter riders.
Old 06-27-20, 03:06 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If they're offended because a woman on a "girl's bike" can climb faster than they can, that's on them. You climb that way because it's a better pace for you and you're under no obligation to slow yourself down to spare their fragile egos.

If you let them goad you into doing something you think is unsafe on the way down, that's on you. If they hurt themselves going down the hill, you didn't do anything to cause that. They're adults making bad choices.

Welcome to BF!
I'm actually a guy, but yeah, competitive racing isn't for pubic roads!
Old 06-27-20, 03:11 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Please don't do that--no reason you should have to "dumb down" your riding just because someone has a fragile male ego.

I had a situation where I barely managed to pass a female runner going up hill--she was really fast. We were on opposite sides of the road and I was just totally impressed with her speed. I called to her as a joke "I can't tell you how depressing it is to me that we';re going about the same speed." She actually looked kind of annoyed at the backhanded compliment. Or it could have just been a "don't bother me when I'm training" thing. But I realized later, it probably came off as "because you're a girl" rather than "because you're running and I'm on a bike", which is how I meant it.
I can see other ways the message could have gone the other way, lol!

I'm thinking, uphill may diminish the advantages of a two-wheeler vs someone on foot since gravity becomes the dominant resisting force and the runner isn't hauling an extra 30 lbs weight (of the bike) uphill!
Old 06-29-20, 07:04 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a 218 lbs dude, so going up hills is usually where I slow down, but going downhill my extra weight can really make me fly without much effort, so I try to not use the brakes unless I need to. Not sure if this is what is happening with you but it's a possibility, but if they're passing you safely and not being an ******* I wouldn't worry about them.
So, you have $86,400 in your account and someone stole $10 from you. Would you be upset and throw all of the $86,390 away in hopes of getting back at the person that took your $10? Or move on and live? Right, move on and live. See, we have 86,400 seconds in every day so don’t let someone’s negative 10 seconds ruin the rest of the 86,390. Don’t sweat the small stuff, life is bigger than that.
-Unknown
Old 06-30-20, 07:11 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by BruceA78 View Post
I'm a 218 lbs dude, so going up hills is usually where I slow down, but going downhill my extra weight can really make me fly without much effort, so I try to not use the brakes unless I need to. Not sure if this is what is happening with you but it's a possibility, but if they're passing you safely and not being an ******* I wouldn't worry about them.
So, you have $86,400 in your account and someone stole $10 from you. Would you be upset and throw all of the $86,390 away in hopes of getting back at the person that took your $10? Or move on and live? Right, move on and live. See, we have 86,400 seconds in every day so don’t let someone’s negative 10 seconds ruin the rest of the 86,390. Don’t sweat the small stuff, life is bigger than that.
-Unknown
One of the guys who did a bad downhill pass (had to swerve and brake at the same time to avoid a car) is smaller than me. I really don't mind safe passes and I get passed all the time when I'm warming up or when I picked the wrong lane (I have fairly low height visibility on my bike due to low profile setup which reduces my success at finding the fastest lane in traffic)

I also avoid using brakes whenever possible to conserve momentum but I'm also at one of the more chaotic streets in the world - the city of Manila. It's a poor, 3rd world country. Things can get unpredictable when the roads have higher volume, lots of jaywalkers, and motorists can swerve or stop without warning (broken brake lights and too lazy to use signals) ...and motorcycles can share the same lane with a car, bike, etc. Sometimes, we're three abreast at the same lane, or even four at the traffic stops!

We were poor when gang took my bike. I was also living in a poor neighborhood and still is. So didn't bother to get another bike for many years and it was fairly traumatic.

Neighbors will also take it up against you if you constantly get out to ride. Got our stuff vandalized already. One of the worst place for the hobby but I'm doing it because I really need to build stamina and strength. This leaves me with only 1 hour riding window where I ride really hard (sprinting whenever possible and pacing motorcycles and cars instead of other cyclists) to make the most of the 1 hr. Add face mask on top of that and ~110 degree road temps because my window only opens up at 1 pm where most of the neighbors are indoors eating and trying to escape the heat.

Last edited by cubewheels; 06-30-20 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 08:17 PM
BruceA78

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I feel your pain about the heat, it has been in the 90s here in the Midwest USA with 80+ percent humidity this week making the heat index above 100 degrees so I have taken two days off of cycling but hoping maybe tomorrow I can get up early enough to beat the heat. I would just try to ignore the other guys unless they are riding dangerously, there are a lot of *******s in the world and the more they affect you the more you let the win!
Likes For BruceA78:
Old 06-30-20, 09:02 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by BruceA78 View Post
there are a lot of *******s in the world and the more they affect you the more you let the win!
Where I live, they can affect you literally! Gun-for-hires are cheap, someone could just send you one on a motorcycle and you're gone!

Lots are killed this way over road rage. They leave you alone but send someone else to kill you. Hard not to worry sometimes. I need to be fast but to be extremely courteous and careful at the same time. I change my routes often in case I managed to offend anyone by accident and of course, leaving at 12 or 1 pm at noon, helps minimize coming across someone with murderous intentions.

I also have to get a bike much cheaper than I can afford to avoid attracting attention from bike gangs.

It's either that or quit completely.