Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking/Cycle Touring Tent

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikepacking/Cycle Touring Tent

Old 01-21-21, 01:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
heh. Thanks for cutting me a “brake.” I’m still recovering from hand surgery to correct 3 fractures and ligament damage, including a complete evulsion.
I was going to ask if your tent needed stake sauce on windy days.

Get well. I hope the hand issues do not impair your riding.
Old 01-21-21, 02:53 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
.because I’d rather not chase a tent during a wind.
funny story, buddy and I ride through some God awful flooded muddy roads to get back to this very scenic but secluded campsite. He doesn't bother to stake his tent down figuring the weight of his sleeping bag will keep it in place, as at the time, the winds weren't bad (as evidenced by the photo of my tent below). But later, along comes a stiff wind and tosses his tent into the lake. What a mess that was !

Old 01-21-21, 03:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
That is what I always understood it to mean; it will stand without steaks, but you won't get the maxim available space if you don't use at least some of the steaks. I can erect by BA Fly Creek without having to use steaks, but their is less room at the narrow end because steaks are required to maximize the floor space of the corners and to stretch it out to full length. REI describes this tent as semi-free standing. I have also seen it called that it several other descriptions and reviews.
Big Agnes doesn’t describe them as semi-freestanding. Looking at what some people call semi-freestanding tents,

Semi-freestanding tents are also freestanding but require several tent stakes to set up — mainly to stake out vestibules — while fully freestanding tents can be completely set up without any stakes at all.
If vestibules are included that would cover nearly every tent made. Like you said, it could be used without the stakes just like any framed tent. Hoop tents, for example, are what I would call “semi-freestanding”. They have rigid bits but can’t really stand on their own.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-21-21, 03:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

Get well. I hope the hand issues do not impair your riding.
Thanks. I can’t ride or drive, among other things, right now. It’s likely going to be a long road to regain something resembling normalcy, if that’s even possible.
Old 01-21-21, 03:34 PM
joshtee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have only used it that one weekend. Stayed completely dry in a deluge the first afternoon. It poured for over 45 minutes.
Looking at Quarter Dome SL2 the overhang of the rainfly, over the doors, doesn't look like much. When you had it in the rain with the door open, getting in and out, did you notice any water dripping in?
Old 01-21-21, 04:45 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Indyfabz!
Old 01-21-21, 05:45 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Thanks. I can’t ride or drive, among other things, right now. It’s likely going to be a long road to regain something resembling normalcy, if that’s even possible.
Major bummer. But if you work at it, you have the best chance at getting normal again. Good luck.
Old 01-21-21, 07:03 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Major bummer. But if you work at it, you have the best chance at getting normal again. Good luck.
I go to PT twice a week and spend much of my nights trying to gain mobility. My so-called life.
Old 01-21-21, 07:12 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by joshtee
Looking at Quarter Dome SL2 the overhang of the rainfly, over the doors, doesn't look like much. When you had it in the rain with the door open, getting in and out, did you notice any water dripping in?
Don’t think I was in it while it was actually raining. Started to pour just as I got to my site. Took shelter outside the restroom and pitched once the rain stopped. Changed at went to the laundry room to charge the phone. That’s when the really heavy stuff started. Went back to my site after it ended. Everything inside was dry.

It rained so hard that the site across from the laundry room was flooded with inches of water despite the ground being porous.

Old 01-21-21, 09:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
First and foremost indy, I wouldn't recommend sleeping in that tent in bear country.....

And sorry to hear of smashing up your hand. Whaddya do? And if don't feel like sharing, simply all the best with recovery and physio.
Old 01-21-21, 09:43 PM
djb

indy, I wrote my last message without seeing the other stuff you wrote, including this one--damn, really sorry to hear this.
I wish you all the best.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-21-21, 10:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
And sorry to hear of smashing up your hand. Whaddya do? And if don't feel like sharing, simply all the best with recovery and physio.
I inexplicably lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch on Friday the 13th of November. I have very little memory of the incident other than a tingling all over my body just before I fell out. Fell on my face and likely snapped back the thumb that was holding my messenger bag on my left shoulder. Don’t remember being stripped, put in a gown, having an IV stuck in me or receiving CT scans of my head, face and cervical spine. The amusing part is that they tested me for alcohol and all sorts of drugs, including PCP. At some point after my 3+ day hospital stay I got the results on line. I laughed and said our loud “People still do PCP?” Of course, all the tests were negative. Hoping it was an idiopathic event.
Old 01-21-21, 10:21 PM
djb

Ouch and ,just ouch. Concerning. Listen, all the best.
Old 01-21-21, 11:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Wishing you the best and a quick recovery.
Old 01-22-21, 04:33 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Here are my take homes for a touring tent ( as compared to a bike packing tent)

Has to be able to be pitched externally, ie the fly can be erected first, without the inner. Makes thing much easier if it's raining when you arrive can set up the inner in the dry or when you break camp, same same. Or if you are on top of some pass, in pouring rain, you can whip it up and have a dry lunchtime.
A vestibule per person, of a decent size.
Good head room.
Lots of mesh in the inner
Decent heavy grade floor
Good high sides on the floor tub so no ground splash through the mesh
Big doors
Large high vents in the fly
As vertical end walls as possible
Lots of interior pockets

I'll generally take a bit of a weight penalty to get the above.
Worthwhile also treating the whole tent, inner, floor, foot print and fly with some Nikwax Tent and Gear Solar Proof. Adds extra water repellency and is a sunscreen to protect against UV damage.

Current tent for 2 is a North Face Talus 3, nice and roomy when you're on the road for a couple of months.
Old 01-22-21, 05:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

I have commented before about careful site selection for a spot that will stay dry in rain. The site below, forecast was for a couple inches of rain overnight, so we were extra careful to pick a site that had good drainage, and this site had good drainage to a wetland that was to the left of the photo. The problem was that we had something like 6 or 7 inches of rain and several acres all drained to the same wetland, that wetland became a pond and did not drain by itself. The wetland is off to the left out of the photo, the tent was essentially on the shoreline of that pond which did not have a good outlet to flow to the lake.

Hung my sleeping bag on a clothesline the next morning, the steady stream of water flowing out of it is the whiteish gray line on the left side of the photo below the bag, I was really glad to have brought a synthetic bag instead of a down bag on this trip. Fortunately, our schedule was flexible so we could stay there that night and take the day to dry out.

Bottom line, we were careful, but not careful enough, I think the site would have been fine for the couple inches that was forecast but not the deluge. It was not enough in that case to make sure that your immediate site had good drainage.
Old 01-22-21, 06:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

I inexplicably lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch on Friday the 13th of November.... ...
That sounds really scary. I hope you have as close to a full recovery as possible. Sounds like with PT a couple times a week, you have adequate health insurance, I hope the co-pays are not horrendous. If you are on disability, I hope you have good insurance for that too.

I ran into a tree at about 15 mph on my bike about 9 years ago. It was less stupid than that sounds, the tree was there for only a second before I hit it, it blew down in front of me on a very windy day, I was too close to it to have been able to stop or veer off of the trail. Took two surgeries and a couple rounds of PT over three years, I still have some arm problems but am 98 percent recovered. My point is sometimes recovery takes time, but if you are diligent and careful in your recovery, you may get to where it does not change your life style or prevent you from doing what you want.

And before you ask, the bike that I rode into the tree was undamaged. The stem was turned to the side on the steerer tube which was corrected in less than a minute, I was surprised that the handlebar did not dent the top tube. I have done several tours on that bike since, my Thorn Sherpa.
Old 01-22-21, 07:31 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Indy..yikes. So sorry to hear about the injury. Heal well. One bright note..at least it's January.
Old 01-22-21, 11:08 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I inexplicably lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch on Friday the 13th of November. I have very little memory of the incident other than a tingling all over my body just before I fell out. Fell on my face and likely snapped back the thumb that was holding my messenger bag on my left shoulder. Don’t remember being stripped, put in a gown, having an IV stuck in me or receiving CT scans of my head, face and cervical spine. The amusing part is that they tested me for alcohol and all sorts of drugs, including PCP. At some point after my 3+ day hospital stay I got the results on line. I laughed and said our loud “People still do PCP?” Of course, all the tests were negative. Hoping it was an idiopathic event.
Just read this. Yikes! Glad you came out of it without any more serious diagnoses (stroke Heart attack etc...).
On a less serious note. Now might be a good time to consider going 1x and coaster brakes
Old 01-22-21, 02:09 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
So sorry to hear. Hope you are mending well, and that it was a one off event. Take care.
Old 01-22-21, 07:19 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Scary, sounds like you are on the mend. Unexplained medical issues suck. Raising a pint to your speedy recovery and good health.
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 01-22-21, 10:16 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
raising a pint to your speedy recovery and good health.
+1