Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Saddle Help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Saddle Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 04:59 PM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Touring Saddle Help

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into doing a much needed saddle swap for my touring bike. I was initially going for a Brooks b17 but after doing some measurements and looking at my riding angle, I'm a little confused.

Here's my stats:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 150
Leg build: Lean, but thicker thighs for a cyclist. Someone who squats regularly, but not much padding around my sit bone area.
Sit bone width: 110mm
Ride angle: 50-80 degrees moving around my butterfly bars

After the research I've gotten very confused. My ride angle seems to fall between the b17 and the b67 saddles. I'm not sure how my sit bone measurement factors into this scenario for a touring bike. I'm afraid of the thigh chafe people talk about with the b67 in non-upright positions.

Also, not sure if it's worth going sprung/unsprung at my body weight and ride angle.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Testing unfortunately is not an option in my area.
Old 08-14-20, 07:07 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
For what it's worth: I have a B17, measure similar to you, sit a bit lower on the bike and am delighted with my saddle. Sometimes I ride no hands for a while for a change, feels comfortable. But you might like the bigger seat even better.
Old 08-14-20, 09:01 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I am 5-8 175. I am thankful that you are doing many of my squats for me . I love my Brooks B-17, no springs. Thousands of miles on my Trek 520. My wife who is about the same height, much lighter, loves her B-17 as well.
Old 08-14-20, 09:18 PM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
For what it's worth: I have a B17, measure similar to you, sit a bit lower on the bike and am delighted with my saddle. Sometimes I ride no hands for a while for a change, feels comfortable. But you might like the bigger seat even better.
Originally Posted by debade
I am 5-8 175. I am thankful that you are doing many of my squats for me . I love my Brooks B-17, no springs. Thousands of miles on my Trek 520. My wife who is about the same height, much lighter, loves her B-17 as well.
Thanks for the help. Looks like the B17 is pretty versatile when it comes to body type. I'll give it a go.
Old 08-14-20, 09:53 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Are your handlebars above your saddle height OP (Gibbon)?
Old 08-14-20, 10:11 PM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Are your handlebars above your saddle height OP (Gibbon)?
Slightly above dead even. An inch or less.

Last edited by G_I_B_B_O_N; 08-14-20 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-14-20, 10:22 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by G_I_B_B_O_N
Slightly above, not by much.
Then I believe you've a higher chance of finding comfort than most of those who try one of the Brooks touring saddles with saddle higher than the bars.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
The B17 I think is Brooks best selling saddle which might suggest you've got the best chance of one working for you.
I tried a Brooks Ti Swift a few years ago which for me was like a medieval torture device and had to go.
I didn't get on that well with a B17 but my Flyer seems to be less painful so I'm sticking with that for now.
Old 08-14-20, 11:37 PM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
Then I believe you've a higher chance of finding comfort than most of those who try one of the Brooks touring saddles with saddle higher than the bars.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
The B17 I think is Brooks best selling saddle which might suggest you've got the best chance of one working for you.
I tried a Brooks Ti Swift a few years ago which for me was like a medieval torture device and had to go.
I didn't get on that well with a B17 but my Flyer seems to be less painful so I'm sticking with that for now.
Good to know. I'll make sure to come back and update this with my impressions, though i doubt it'll be accurate until I get through the break-in period. Crossing my fingers.
Old 08-15-20, 06:28 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
ergon
Old 08-15-20, 07:15 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Good to know. I'll make sure to come back and update this with my impressions, though i doubt it'll be accurate until I get through the break-in period. Crossing my fingers.
fwiw..the "break in period" isn't an absolute. I have two B17's (actually three as of yesterday), a Standard and an Imperial and both have been comfortable from the first ride. I'll be riding a new Imperial today for the first time..hopefully that trend will continue.

fwiw once again..I find the Imperial (B17 with cutout) more comfortable than the Standard. (Also the C17 with a cutout seems to be much more comfortable than the standard C17..and the C17-cutout seems to be more comfortable as time goes on..either the "no break-in required" C17 is breaking in..or my backend is breaking in to it..)

If you're getting ready to pick up a B17..your next decision might be Standard or Imperial.
Old 08-15-20, 11:06 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I use an ancient Brook pro but I am looking to get a Brooks for my rail-trail bike and am looking at the Flyer and B67. I think the B67 is for more upright riding and the flyer higher performing but still somewhat upright. I am going with the flyer for my needs.
FWIW: My Brooks Pro is my all time favorite and fits my backside like a glove. I use it for touring and gravel riding, serves me well in most situations. I don't like it when I ride with slower people and need to sit more upright.
Old 08-15-20, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
French Gilles Berthoud is another premium leather saddle company . https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/67-saddles
Old 08-15-20, 11:45 AM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
If you're getting ready to pick up a B17..your next decision might be Standard or Imperial.
I know I have the option between the two, but I've never heard in what instance you might like one over the other.

For the people I read who didn't like the Imperial, it was cutting into their skin. I know it's a horrible comparison, but I had a touring gel seat with cut-out and I understand at least what they're talking about. It felt like there were two knives digging into my sit bones all the time. I would prefer to avoid that feeling at all costs.
Old 08-15-20, 12:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into doing a much needed saddle swap for my touring bike. I was initially going for a Brooks b17 but after doing some measurements and looking at my riding angle, I'm a little confused.

Here's my stats:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 150
Leg build: Lean, but thicker thighs for a cyclist. Someone who squats regularly, but not much padding around my sit bone area.
Sit bone width: 110mm
Ride angle: 50-80 degrees moving around my butterfly bars
My guesstimate is B17 will be best fit.
Old 08-15-20, 12:17 PM
G_I_B_B_O_N

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
My guesstimate is B17 will be best fit.
That's where I'm at at this point. I've put an order in for one. Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 08-15-20, 03:20 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Related to a new B17 - I put a lot of Obenauf's beeswax based leather conditioner on the underside of mine before putting it into service. Helps it soften and gives it some rain resistance (at least as for when both you and the bike are in the rain whilst riding, wouldn't help if you park it outside in nightly downpours.)
Old 08-15-20, 04:29 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I know I have the option between the two, but I've never heard in what instance you might like one over the other.

For the people I read who didn't like the Imperial, it was cutting into their skin. I know it's a horrible comparison, but I had a touring gel seat with cut-out and I understand at least what they're talking about. It felt like there were two knives digging into my sit bones all the time. I would prefer to avoid that feeling at all costs.
Just finished a 60 mile ride on the new Imperial, mounted on my recently built-up drop-bar conversion mtn bike/gravely touring bike. At mile ten it was feeling a bit stiff and I thought...hmm..this might be a long day. By mile 15 it felt good..a little heat and butt-sweat may have loosened it up a bit. Still felt good at mile 60.

Never heard of, nor experienced, the cut-out sit-bone issue. Looking at the Imperial, I'd think if the cutout was seriously interacting with someone's sit bones..either they had a very sub-par setup or it wasn't the right size saddle even before they sat down.

Hope the B17 works out for you..
Old 08-15-20, 04:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have drop bars , I have a Brooks Team Pro I bought in the middle of the 70's on my touring bike..

Of course I'm not sitting on my saddle with your hips..