Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is your solution for riding in a spot with low reception?

Old 08-11-20, 07:31 AM
Caye

Bikes: Cheap crossover & Gazell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in an area of the mountains where there is no cell phone coverage. We moved here in ‘92, about the time ‘the brick’ cellphone came out so it’s never bothered me riding without reception. I trust in people to stop and help if I need it...sooner or later anyway
Old 08-11-20, 08:00 AM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, wolfchild, I think you got that one. And, to even ask such a silly question begs the question that the OP might have that problem. BTW, this poster has asked a multitude of similar inane questions.
Likes For clongwill:
Old 08-11-20, 09:22 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is absolutely no need to purchase a brand new bike every two years just to keep up with the trendy techno geeks.
Every TWO years? Who does that? I need a new bike every year to keep up with the technology! Even better would be a new one in the Spring, and another new one in the Fall.
Old 08-12-20, 02:35 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Seriously, if somebody is so paranoid that they won't go out for a bike ride unless they're " connected "...I think it's time for them to find another hobby, find something that doesn't require leaving your house.
I rode home a couple of times with cracked ribs because I was too stupid to let the bike fall away from me. Not fun. And the last time was around 20 years ago. Time flies. Technology advances.
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 08-12-20, 02:52 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm confused.. something like this?
Is this Australia?
Old 08-18-20, 11:55 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I’m amazed this thread has survived this long.

...and now I'm going to have to bump it.

I just read an NYT obit for a guy who died at 104, but only after achieving claim-to-fame of sailing around the entire global...without GPS, compass, sextant, wristwatch, or even an abacus.

Marvin Creamer, a Mariner Who Sailed Like the Ancients, Dies at 104

"He was guided by the wind, waves, the sun by day, and the moon and stars by night." Also could tell position/direction based on temperature, birds, bugs, even the squeaky sound of his hatch.
Old 08-18-20, 03:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
...and now I'm going to have to bump it.

I just read an NYT obit for a guy who died at 104, but only after achieving claim-to-fame of sailing around the entire global...without GPS, compass, sextant, wristwatch, or even an abacus.

Marvin Creamer, a Mariner Who Sailed Like the Ancients, Dies at 104

"He was guided by the wind, waves, the sun by day, and the moon and stars by night." Also could tell position/direction based on temperature, birds, bugs, even the squeaky sound of his hatch.
That's amazing....And some people can't even take a 5 mile drive to their local wallmart without a GPS guiding them.
Old 08-18-20, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
You need this helmet.

Don't laugh, he was smart enough to be elected to Congress.
A lot of comedians are pretty smart and with politics being such a joke I say Lewis Black/Marc Maron 2020, the well placed anger and self loathing would be a refreshing change. Doug Benson would also be a solid pick, probably would establish a Strategic Doritos Reserve which seems better than building a crappy wall with tax payer money and with weed legal it would free up a lot of overcrowded prisons and save money on drug enforcement. Though I would also accept Ron Funches as Supreme and Glorious Leader, he seems like a big ole' teddy bear and that is what America really needs.

If I get caught out with no cell signals I will just use smoke signals or fire up the old Wireless Marconi.
Old 08-18-20, 08:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If I get caught out with no cell signals I will just use smoke signals or fire up the old Wireless Marconi.
i find a long string with 2 paper cups work. If you need high speed, just wax the string.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-20-20, 11:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
i find a long string with 2 paper cups work. If you need high speed, just wax the string.
You just gotta use the speed wax.