Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any experience with modern Tarptent tents?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any experience with modern Tarptent tents?

Old 11-11-20, 06:23 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
I just looked on their site under accessories and didnt spot any alternative inners.
Pretty sure if all it needed was an available upgraded inner, they may have kept it, being an easy fix
https://hilleberg.com/eng/shelters/mesh-inner-tents/

Our Mesh Inner Tents are a simple, highly versatile option for use in dry, warm conditions. Used alone, their full mesh walls provide not only maximum airiness and protection from flying and crawling insects, but also 360° views.The Mesh Inner Tents can also be used with the outer tents of their complement models (Akto; Allak; Anjan & Anjan GT 2 & 3; Enan; Nallo & Nallo GT 2, 3, & 4; Nammatj & Nammatj GT 2 & 3; Niak; Rogen; Soulo; Staika; and Unna)
Looks like its some models, not all.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 11-11-20, 06:46 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The Hilleberg brand make some great tents and I've previously considered the Soulo.
Just to be clear, I was referring to my decision not to pursue a Tarptent Protrail due to reports of it not being ideal for colder climes.
I was initially attracted to their low weight and small backdown size fitting a bike packing fork cage (https://bikepacking.com/gear/salsa-a...-anything-bag/ )
I'm currently well served by two very warm Macpac tents that have an enviable reputation for robustness and longevity albeit not the lightest.
Thanks for the link though as its been some time since I looked at the Hilleberg pages and I enjoyed the squiz
Old 11-11-20, 08:10 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
In the Antipodes, the Protrail gets some negative press for being great in summer but too cool for the other seasons.
A shame as it can pack very small and was very interesting to bike packers in this neck of the woods.
It seems anecdotally that the Double Rainbow gets over all the best press by trail walkers and bike packers hereabouts when it comes to discussing Tarptent products.
I was initially keen on the Protrail as a potential upgrade to my Macpac Microlite but hearing the word "drafty" bandied about put me off.
My Contrail, the predecessor to the Protrail, does fine in the Rocky Mountain winters. See the photo, way back in post #6. It can be pitched low and sealed up, but some ventilation is preferred. (If you've ever had to wait for the sun to hit an iced-up tent zipper when you have to get out and pee in the morning, you'll know why.)
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 11-11-20, 08:21 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts

Yes, as I said: It's an "option" (the mesh) on some tents, but it's an add-on: You buy them separately. A "solid" inner is the standard on their tents.
Old 11-11-20, 08:54 AM
rifraf

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
My Contrail, the predecessor to the Protrail, does fine in the Rocky Mountain winters. See the photo, way back in post #6. It can be pitched low and sealed up, but some ventilation is preferred. (If you've ever had to wait for the sun to hit an iced-up tent zipper when you have to get out and pee in the morning, you'll know why.)
Good to hear an alternate opinion.
Many I've spoken to share your enthusiasm for the Double Rainbow.
I see they have now come out with an extra light version (Cuben Fibre?).
A little transparent for my aesthetic tastes but maybe the weight savings make up for that.
I won't be in the market for a new tent I imagine till the Covid is under some sort of control and work picks up.
Luckily I enjoy both my current tents and whilst they will never win too many points on low weight, both are capable shelters and wild weather doesn't faze me when I'm in them.
Old 11-11-20, 11:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Thats a LOT of space in that vestibule. I agree - the pole where it is makes that tough to work around.
I did not think it was THAT huge, but bigger than average. That is the same tent as shown in the photo above in post number 12.

I was specifically looking for a tent with a good size vestibule.

I have one with a bigger vestibule, but that one takes up a lot more ground space and can be harder to fit into some spots.
Old 11-11-20, 08:22 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 387 Posts
In the Antipodes, the Protrail gets some negative press for being great in summer but too cool for the other seasons.
A shame as it can pack very small and was very interesting to bike packers in this neck of the woods.
It seems anecdotally that the Double Rainbow gets over all the best press by trail walkers and bike packers hereabouts when it comes to discussing Tarptent products.
I was initially keen on the Protrail as a potential upgrade to my Macpac Microlite but hearing the word "drafty" bandied about put me off.
The Macpac Microlite is a good tent. Bit heavy these days but very good in poor weather. There's a reason it's been basically unchanged for nearly 20 years. I have it's lighter cousin the Macpac Sololite. Not quite as robust and certainly not as warm but I sleep warm so it hasn't been a problem.

I'm looking at getting a Tarptent Scarp 1 as my winter tent.
Likes For gnome:
Old 11-11-20, 08:56 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by gnome
The Macpac Microlite is a good tent. Bit heavy these days but very good in poor weather. There's a reason it's been basically unchanged for nearly 20 years. I have it's lighter cousin the Macpac Sololite. Not quite as robust and certainly not as warm but I sleep warm so it hasn't been a problem.

Just had a squiz. https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-1/
A bit roomier than the Sololite? Looks good.

Having gone home early my last couple attempts at touring due to poor weather (microlite gives me claustrophobia after a couple of days trapped inside), I've vowed to accept the extra weight of my Minaret, for my next tour in order to see out any "too many days of inclement weather" in luxury.

I'm not a wet weather rider, if I can at all help it.
Old 12-04-20, 11:44 PM
rifraf

I spotted in a local bushwalking forum that Tarptent has recently produced the cuban fibre (Dyneema) version of the Protrail.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail-li/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyneema_Composite_Fabric

Complements the Double Rainbow version I mentioned above somewhere

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow-li/

Last edited by rifraf; 12-04-20 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 11:51 PM
rifraf

Originally Posted by gnome
Looks like many Tarptents are heading in the Dyneema direction so if you hold off for a bit......
Old 12-06-20, 12:26 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 387 Posts
Looks like many Tarptents are heading in the Dyneema direction so if you hold off for a bit......
I'd like a DCF tent but I have certain issues with buying one. Our dollar is worth less than the US$, shipping is expensive and there would be tax on top. Basically for anything priced in US$ it costs me double. A DCF tent is outside my tent budget.