Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Freitag bags on a VELLO?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Freitag bags on a VELLO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 05:53 AM
Thomas Brooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freitag bags on a VELLO?

Hey guys!

The new FreitagxBrompton collection looks beautiful!

Because of the 20 inch tyres, I opted for a Vello bike last year. Now I wanted to ask if anyone has tried the Freitag Coltrane bag F748 with a Vello bike?

Thanks and cheers from London

Thomas
Old 04-21-21, 07:34 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
There is a review
by EverydayCyclist. He found it well made but uncomfortable. It appears the the Vello luggage block and Brompton luggage block are compatible.
Old 04-21-21, 10:51 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
There is a review here by EverydayCyclist. He found it well made but uncomfortable. It appears the the Vello luggage block and Brompton luggage block are compatible.
Thanks for the link. It is a good review. The problem that I see with the Brompton luggage is that there is none that has some capacity and is as practical off the bike as on the bike. For larger capacity, making the luggage comfortable to carry around becomes essential. A large capacity shoulder bag that does not adhere to your body is pretty pointless. It is good that Brompton starts with backpacks. Reorienting the pack between the bike and person makes sense, but a rectangular frame poking your back makes no sense whatsoever. I were working with this, it would be a prototype that I might not even bother finishing. The next project on my horizon is to adapt a decent Osprey pack so that it can be easily mounted on the luggage block. As to the Brompton offerings, at their demonstrated pace in this area one cannot expect that they solve the problem any time soon.
Old 04-21-21, 11:51 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
https://www.etsy.com/listing/809702956/custom-carrier-frame-for-brompton-bag
https://anatolyivanov.com/prose/en/AI.7.00124/
Old 04-21-21, 03:07 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Look at the description of the Vello Trägerblock Vello explicitly mention that this carrier block is "Kompatibel mit Taschen anderer Hersteller, u.a. der F748 Coltrane von Freitag®." !
Old 04-22-21, 02:14 AM
Thomas Brooks

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank to all for your replies! @Jipe, this is the thing I was searching for. Looks like the Brompton bags are compatible with my VELLO.
I will keep you guys updated.
Old 04-22-21, 06:18 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Yes, they are compatible but for any reason it seems that Vello prefer not to mention that explicitly.

Its also the case for the Tyrell Yve and also Tyrell doesn't write that on the bike description.

Vello and Tyrell sell their own front block but I think that you can mount the Brompton block too (maybe the angle of the bag wrt. the frame isn't the same as with the Vello and Tyrell own blocks as with the Brompton block ?).
Old 06-21-22, 05:29 PM
rafalima

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas Brooks
Hey guys!

The new FreitagxBrompton collection looks beautiful!

Because of the 20 inch tyres, I opted for a Vello bike last year. Now I wanted to ask if anyone has tried the Freitag Coltrane bag F748 with a Vello bike?

Thanks and cheers from London

Thomas
hey Thomas, could you tell me what has been your experience with your Vello? tks
Old 10-04-22, 10:09 AM
blackwinds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Thomas, could you tell me what has been your experience with your Vello? tks

I saw some people complain the bike is uncomfortable. Also some complains about the parts quality. Not sure that is true or not. It looks to me the bike is really well designed.

Originally Posted by Thomas Brooks
Thank to all for your replies! @Jipe, this is the thing I was searching for. Looks like the Brompton bags are compatible with my VELLO.
I will keep you guys updated.