Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear mudguard does not fit under parcel rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 02:36 AM
bkkboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I plan to go touring in September and need to install mud guards. My cycle shop says that the space between the rear tire and rack is too small. Instead, as a temporary measure while touring, he suggested using a plastic sheet. I am not convinced this is a good idea as it is likely to rain 30% of the days. The space looks OK to me though, with a bit of fiddling. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mud guard needs to fit over rear wheel. Cycle shop says parcel carrier is in the way.
Old 05-13-21, 05:09 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Is it the spot right below where the adjustable stays clamp to the rack that’s the issue?
How much clearance is there?

Try setting the clamping blocks on the top side of the rack instead.
Old 05-13-21, 05:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
I would take the shop's advice and use some plastic, either wrap or sheet, on the rack. That will give you an effective mud guard. You don't have room between the tire and frame for a full length guard, regardless.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-21, 05:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I would take the shop's advice and use some plastic, either wrap or sheet, on the rack. That will give you an effective mud guard. You don't have room between the tire and frame for a full length guard, regardless.
Yeah, I was going to say that looks like problem, and not due to rack, but rather to what looks may be a pulley wheel for the front derailleur.

I’d look to zip-tying some thick plastic sheet or Coroplast to both the rack struts and the rack deck, with a little extra extension beyond the rack for best coverage and spray control. Coroplast could also be easily bent down towards the wheel a bit and braced at each side with a simple, lightweight strut.
Old 05-13-21, 05:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
I think there’s probably some way to fit a fender in there, from the looks of it. If not, take the shop’s advice about the sheet of plastic. But you should still install a full length front fender, as that is the one that will keep most of the road gunk off of your feet and drive train.
Old 05-13-21, 05:40 AM
bkkboy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
I plan to go touring in September and need to install mud guards. My cycle shop says that the space between the rear tire and rack is too small. Instead, as a temporary measure while touring, he suggested using a plastic sheet. I am not convinced this is a good idea as it is likely to rain 30% of the days. The space looks OK to me though, with a bit of fiddling. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mud guard needs to fit over rear wheel. Cycle shop says parcel carrier is in the way.
Thanks everybody. Some good advice.
Old 05-13-21, 05:41 AM
bkkboy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks everybody. Some good advice.
Old 05-13-21, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I don’t tour with fenders. My folded up, 4x8 plastic tarp is placed on my rack, parallel with the frame/wheel. Tent goes on top of that. Makes a great rear fender.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-13-21, 07:14 PM
bkkboy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don’t tour with fenders. My folded up, 4x8 plastic tarp is placed on my rack, parallel with the frame/wheel. Tent goes on top of that. Makes a great rear fender.

Thanks indyfabz. Good idea, although are you protected from the front wheel? I am expecting it to rain in northern Spain 25% of the days, and will be cycling for three weeks.
Old 05-14-21, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by bkkboy
Thanks indyfabz. Good idea, although are you protected from the front wheel? I am expecting it to rain in northern Spain 25% of the days, and will be cycling for three weeks.
Nope. Many of my tours where it might rain more than a little are far from home and require bike shipping. Don’t want to bother with fenders. I’d rather just clean the bike if it gets dirty enough.