Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpado #9 - All Chrome - Gian Robert...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-17-21, 05:57 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts

Though not positive, I am pretty sure that this is my ninth Torpado, several LUXE models, one lesser model and a Torpado Super Racing or something like that. Anyway, I could not resist this little used and nicely upgraded Torpado LUXE today. The bike is in great shape, the chrome near perfect and pretty close to original, except for the saddle and brake levers. Though not original, the bike also came fitted with a lovely set of 700c alloy quick release wheels and good 700c x 28 gumwall tires. Neither the seat post nor stem is stuck. The one issue seems to be common with similar Torpados - a too small seat post. Anyway, my newest and very unneeded project...

Lucky for me, I have a nice set of Universal levers and even a set of new hoods...

The all chrome frame will shine up like a new penny (remember those?)...

Though a problem ridden transmission, I am happy to have a complete Gian Robert set of deraillers and shifters...

Why did the guys or gals at Torpado insist on including an undersized seat post. Several Torpados have come my way fitted with the too small saddle support...

I could not believe that the bike was fitted with this wheel set. Usually one gets steel hubs, with nuts or wing nuts and steel rims. Lucky me, this set is close to awesome...

Ya just gotta love the windowed lug work...

REG brake cable guides are original issue...

Something to play with tomorrow. Ye haaaa!
Old 07-17-21, 06:17 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I had one of those. Shiny bikes are awesome. Mine was too small.
Old 07-17-21, 06:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Originally Posted by iab
I had one of those. Shiny bikes are awesome. Mine was too small.

As Goldielocks said - "this one is just right." Luck was with me today.
Old 07-18-21, 12:10 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
I have a few chrome bikes but I’ve never had a shiny chrome penny before. You’re really making me appreciate Torpados though. I assume you’re not painting this one so I’m looking to seeing what you’ll be doing with it. Any ideas yet?

Last edited by Pcampeau; 07-18-21 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 12:41 AM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I have a few chrome bikes but I’ve never had a chrome penny before. You’re really making me appreciate Torpados though. I assume you’re not painting this one so I’m looking to seeing what you’ll be doing with it. Any ideas yet?
The "shiny as a new penny" is a very old saying intended to suggest great "bling". And for what it is worth, I actually have a silver penny or two, that I found in a bag of vintage coins when treasure hunting at the dump this summer...

I really have no room to store the bike and just finished restoring another Torpado which I am having a lot of fun riding...

The all chrome Torpado. I bought yesterday, is higher end model than the one I just finished building. My newest acquisition is more than road worthy and safe to ride "as found". But I really don't need another Italian road bike and I just might offer it for sale in the Bike Forums For Sale forum, dust and all ("as found"), for a couple of hundred bucks, to Bike Forums members. It would make me feel good to help someone else acquire such a nice old road bike, fancy wheels and all.

If I don't sell the bike, I will refurbish it completely (meaning full disassembled inspection, lubrication, cables and handlebar tape) and ride it just about "as is" with three exceptions. I will install original Universal brake levers with NOS hoods, SPD pedals and an alloy indexed seat post of proper size, just like the one I recently installed on my most recently built up Torpado, pictured above. I might even throw the better of two recently acquired BIM leather saddles on the bike..
Old 07-18-21, 01:56 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
The "shiny as a new penny" is a very old saying intended to suggest great "bling". And for what it is worth, I actually have a silver penny or two, that I found in a bag of vintage coins when treasure hunting at the dump this summer...
Check that 1943 penny with a magnet, most were made with zinc-plated steel. A very few were struck on silver, they are mint errors, and they sell for thousands of dollars.

Silver coins sound different - drop one on a tile floor and do the same with one of today's and you'll KNOW what money is supposed to sound like.
Old 07-18-21, 05:14 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
You have a way with these Torpado! I can’t wait to see what you do with it, keep us posted. Are those Panaracer tires on this one? They look new.
Old 07-18-21, 07:50 PM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
You have a way with these Torpado! I can’t wait to see what you do with it, keep us posted. Are those Panaracer tires on this one? They look new.
Yes, the tires are Panaracers (700c x 28 - my preferred size these days) and in great shape. My guess is the original owner (I am the second owner) had them installed not long ago and then rode the bike very little. It was his son who sold me the bike, after his dad had passed away....

I started cleaning the bike today and that chrome does shine like a new penny, even if that silver penny is nothing more than zinc plated.