Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strapping kids bikes directly to crossrails?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 11:40 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

For various reasons, I am considering strapping my kids bikes directly to the roof cross rails of my subaru, laying them sideways (I already have a Saris 2 bike hitch rack that will have the adult bikes and the roof mounts are either uber expensive, don't work with kids bikes, or chinsy). Has anyone had success doing this? My son has a 24 inch MTB and my daughter a basic 20 inch kids single speed.

Other details. Will be travelling on interstate at highway speeds for 300 miles. I also own a roof cargo carrier that I might to use--they would be hanging off the back, but I would have more mounting points.

Please, do not tell me to buy a new hitch rack or spend $600 of 2 thule roof mounts for what is going to be a once a year trip
Old 07-21-21, 12:08 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
For various reasons, I am considering strapping my kids bikes directly to the roof cross rails of my subaru, laying them sideways (I already have a Saris 2 bike hitch rack that will have the adult bikes and the roof mounts are either uber expensive, don't work with kids bikes, or chinsy). Has anyone had success doing this? My son has a 24 inch MTB and my daughter a basic 20 inch kids single speed.

Other details. Will be travelling on interstate at highway speeds for 300 miles. I also own a roof cargo carrier that I might to use--they would be hanging off the back, but I would have more mounting points.

Please, do not tell me to buy a new hitch rack or spend $600 of 2 thule roof mounts for what is going to be a once a year trip
At one point I flipped a kids bike upside down and tied the handlebars to the crossbar (Outback). Can't remember how for I travelled, but it was perfectly secure. They're kids bikes - just cinch them down to whatever will hold them - they're not going to be blown off. Frankly, I'd be more concerned by what the bike might damage - roof paintwork, other contents of the cargo carrier, the carrier itself etc. Cinch them down tight and ensure that they don't move about - they'll be fine
Old 07-21-21, 12:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I've done this. Depending on the height of the rails, you might want to take the pedals off so they don't scrape the roof.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-21-21, 12:44 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
It's how we used to travel with bikes back when the family had a station wagon (remember those?).

We tied two bikes up to either side of a kayak for one 1,800 mile vacation; you might be able to do that around your rooftop carrier.

Get a few pieces of scrap carpet if you're going to lay the bikes down on the car, and lay them pile side down on the roof before you put the bikes on top. That'll help save the car's paint. And knots are your friend! Tie one end of your rope to the rail, loop it around a bike frame, tie the rope to the opposite side rail, repeat until you run out of rope. Or bikes.
Old 07-21-21, 01:14 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
It's how we used to travel with bikes back when the family had a station wagon (remember those?).

We tied two bikes up to either side of a kayak for one 1,800 mile vacation; you might be able to do that around your rooftop carrier.

Get a few pieces of scrap carpet if you're going to lay the bikes down on the car, and lay them pile side down on the roof before you put the bikes on top. That'll help save the car's paint. And knots are your friend! Tie one end of your rope to the rail, loop it around a bike frame, tie the rope to the opposite side rail, repeat until you run out of rope. Or bikes.
Its a new vehicle and it has the OEM crossrails, which are not terribly high, so I think I will mount the cargo tray just to give the bikes some extra clearance from the roof.
Old 07-21-21, 01:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
For some reason, I didn't see the word "bikes" in the title, and thought "what fiendish person would strap kids directly to the crossrails?"

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-21-21, 03:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
What does a paint job cost?
Old 07-21-21, 04:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
For some reason, I didn't see the word "bikes" in the title, and thought "what fiendish person would strap kids directly to the crossrails?"
Ha Ha, I did the same thing.

John
Old 07-21-21, 07:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Please make sure you secure everything super tightly if you decide to do this. If anything moves add better straps and more straps and make sure it doesn't move at all and everything is safe. Note this is not an ideal set up and could be quite dangerous if done poorly.
Old 07-21-21, 10:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Used cheap harbor freight ratchet straps and flipped them upside down, strapped the handlebar to the front and the seat to the rear.
That said, my last 4 bike carriers were 20-25.00 each and required 15.00 each time to get a little extra hardware from Thule to get them to fit right. The sidearms are ok and I've been too lazy to take them off but have some big mouth traps to replace them. Problem is I prefer the sidemount clamp system to the big mouth but hate the newer, flatter style trays they came with but they'll serve if I ever need to start carrying 7-8 bikes. Both times I just searched craigslist and they were sitting their waiting to be bought. The most recent set I had to buy the whole roof rack but for 40.00 it was worth it. Just search for Thule and check every ad.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-22-21, 07:08 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
You're going to scratch up the paint on the roof of your car if you just lay the bikes down. You'll need to put something underneath them (like a strip of carpet, as someone suggested) so that doesn't happen. Use good ratchet straps to secure them.
Old 07-22-21, 07:20 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Of course it'll work, use your common sense as pointed out: make sure the bike doesn't touch the paint on your car, ratcheting straps are your friends. Pad a few things as you see the need and roll on. I traveled cross country a couple times with my road bike strapped down to the add-on ski rack on my old Fairmont, you'll be fine.

Eric
Likes For exercion:
Old 07-22-21, 07:22 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Ha Ha, I did the same thing.

John
I did too, but then it makes you wonder: if you strap the kids to the crossrails, would you then have room for the bikes to travel inside the car?
Old 07-24-21, 08:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
For various reasons, I am considering strapping my kids bikes directly to the roof cross rails of my subaru, laying them sideways (I already have a Saris 2 bike hitch rack that will have the adult bikes and the roof mounts are either uber expensive, don't work with kids bikes, or chinsy). Has anyone had success doing this? My son has a 24 inch MTB and my daughter a basic 20 inch kids single speed.Other details. Will be travelling on interstate at highway speeds for 300 miles. I also own a roof cargo carrier that I might to use--they would be hanging off the back, but I would have more mounting points.Please, do not tell me to buy a new hitch rack or spend $600 of 2 thule roof mounts for what is going to be a once a year trip
I've done that, just remove the pedals & use some padding that won't fly off to protect your roof / sunroof. tie them down well w/ thin rope, not bungee cords
Old 07-24-21, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Its a new vehicle and it has the OEM crossrails, which are not terribly high, so I think I will mount the cargo tray just to give the bikes some extra clearance from the roof.
in that case remove the front wheels, as well as the pedals. the front wheels can ride inside if necessary. use padding if nec. at contact points such as derailers & shifters
Old 07-24-21, 07:01 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
It’s generally frowned upon to strap children to the cross rails unless they’re in approved car seats.