Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to replace road shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 06:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Hello,
First post - great forum. Looking forward to hanging around here.

Anyway, my 15 year old Performance bike road shoes are on their last legs. I've always loved these as they are stiff, don't make my toes go numb and have great ventilation (has vents in the sole - love that). I'm looking for a new pair. While I will be trying them on at stores I'm out of touch with what is out there. I'm looking to spend less than $150.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 07-23-20, 06:15 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
My standard recommendation is that if SIDI shoes are in your budget and they fit, buy them. They may be on sale somewhere so 150 might work.

I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi studio/road shoes that I paid $100 for that I use in spin class but also use on the road. Fantastic for the money. Spin shoes are very ventilated, more so than true road shoes.
Old 07-23-20, 06:37 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
I have Specialized Experts, for which I paid about $160.
That was 3 years ago but I don't think the price has gone up.
After 3 years of regular wear they're still in excellent shape, I certainly recommend them in the price range you're targeting.
Old 07-23-20, 07:16 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Sidi shoes look to be the top of the line. Admittedly I haven't tried them but any shoe that is leather without vent holes is a nonstarter for me. I get sweaty hot feet and the Sidi approach looks to be the opposite of what I want.
Old 07-23-20, 07:50 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Another thumbs up for SIDI. "Real" leather and last a long time. One of my SIDI's is going on 20 years old and still holding up well. I just got finished rubbing in Kiwi leather conditioner on them and they look like new. They have little elastomer heel pads that wear out but easy to replace.
Old 07-23-20, 08:00 PM
Mulberry20

What kind of socks are you wearing? And your toes going numb could be the placement of your cleat.
Old 07-23-20, 08:04 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Symox
Sidi shoes look to be the top of the line. Admittedly I haven't tried them but any shoe that is leather without vent holes is a nonstarter for me. I get sweaty hot feet and the Sidi approach looks to be the opposite of what I want.
They do have vent holes. Plenty of them. If your feet sweat a lot, join the club. You will have sweat in any road shoes. The answer is to wear socks that wick the sweat. There are a variety of cycling socks that wick the sweat. I currently am using ones from Smart Wool. They are my favorite, although the synthetic socks work well too.
Old 07-23-20, 08:10 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by frogman
They do have vent holes. Plenty of them. If your feet sweat a lot, join the club. You will have sweat in any road shoes. The answer is to wear socks that wick the sweat. There are a variety of cycling socks that wick the sweat. I currently am using ones from Smart Wool. They are my favorite, although the synthetic socks work well too.
I wear Merino wool socks made by a company in Vermont called DarnTough. Even lately in 90 degree heat after two hours my feet are dry when I take them off. No odor either.
Old 07-24-20, 12:03 AM
frogman

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I wear Merino wool socks made by a company in Vermont called DarnTough. Even lately in 90 degree heat after two hours my feet are dry when I take them off. No odor either.
Sounds good, I will have to try the Darn Tough wool socks. Some folks equate getting hot from wearing wool socks but not so, your feet stay comfy. The odor isn't there either, I have several wool jerseys and I can wear them long past when I would expect BO but they don't stink. Never could figure out why wool does that.
Old 07-24-20, 12:29 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My Giro Apeckx were under your $150 budget, and have lasted me 6+ years. Comfortable, the ratchet closure is robust, not too heavy, and a good selection of colors.

If I were buying shoes again, I’d be looking at some of Giro’s lace-ups. I’ve heard they’re extremely comfy.
Old 07-24-20, 04:04 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
My Giro Apeckx were under your $150 budget, and have lasted me 6+ years. Comfortable, the ratchet closure is robust, not too heavy, and a good selection of colors.

If I were buying shoes again, I’d be looking at some of Giro’s lace-ups. I’ve heard they’re extremely comfy.
A few years back, I purchased the Giro Prolight Techlace, the lace-ups. Very light and comfortable. Perhaps too supple compared with SIDI.
Old 07-26-20, 06:41 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Mulberry20

Hey Mulberry20,

I bought a pair of the DarnTough socks for cycling. Got the thin model. Just got back from a ride using them. Really nice ! Smooth, not itchy or anything, (always a worry when trying wool socks) feet stayed nice and dry. I like them and plan to order a few more pairs. Thanks for sharing your experience with them !
Old 07-26-20, 06:49 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by frogman
Hey Mulberry20,

I bought a pair of the DarnTough socks for cycling. Got the thin model. Just got back from a ride using them. Really nice ! Smooth, not itchy or anything, (always a worry when trying wool socks) feet stayed nice and dry. I like them and plan to order a few more pairs. Thanks for sharing your experience with them !
My pleasure, I have several pairs of the Endurance line both low with the tab and 1/4 high. They changed the name of the Endurance line. They wear like iron and carry a life time warranty no questions asked.
Old 07-26-20, 08:56 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I like my LG Ergo-Air I got on sale a decade ago. Inexpensive, help up well, no problems.
BUT...It's all about what feels comfortable to YOU.
Shoes are 1 thing I buy at a local bike shop.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html