Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What kind of upgrades?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What kind of upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 07:21 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
What kind of upgrades?

Here's a subject that is totally insignificant but, none the less, interesting to me. What kind of upgrades would you like to see on a bike you were thinking of keeping? I realize it depends on the type of bike and it's original intention and also your experiences. So here's an example:
​​​​​​ Below you'll see a Miyata 610. It's not what your thinking though. This one was made in '81. That means: a crank with a bolt pattern that allows the granny to be no smaller than 36 teeth, center pull brakes, (the last year they used them on this model), stem shifters, turkey arm on the brake levers and no braze-ons except a bottle carrier. On the plus the paint is exceptional and the bike was safely ensconced in a thick layer of grime. The bearing are totally dried of course but laying only on one side. The bike looks to be used when new but completely unused since. The cables are totally rusty but pull out easily and perfectly. I would have much preferred a post '83 610 with lots of goodies but this one reminds me of my very first touring bike which I've always claimed was my favorite. It's pretty nimble without being twitchy, carries loads very well possibly because of the straight gauge tubing which is very appreciated in the 25" size and has a short top tube. I couldn't afford a real loaded touring bike so bought a sport touring Univega for $20 and started to work. To my mind a real crank, with real gears and a couple of racks is all one need make a real touring bike. I'd be more comfortable with barends and a leather saddle. If we're talking bar ends, why not clickers and

a 7 speed freewheel? I'm a big fan of aero brake levers but totally understand those who say it's going too far. Anyhow here's some pics. Would you keep it stock or make changes and what kind of changes?
Old 09-09-20, 07:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
If I’m going to invest in upgrades, the frame itself really needs to be worth it. I’m afraid that Miyata doesn’t qualify for me.
Old 09-09-20, 08:00 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Upgrades on a keeper bike: Dura-Ace

Cheeky, yet truthful, answer aside, is this a keeper for you? If so, do you have a budget? If so, do you possess nice/nicer components or the ability to purchase them (for good prices) locally via Craigslist or LBS (that sells used bike parts)? After all of that, how much do you care about its looks?

There are a number of Very Rusty bits on this bike, some that look unsightly (front derailleur, headset) and others that look unsightly and give me reason to replace them (chain, wheels). A disassembly of the bike to determine if the "bones" are good would be a prudent move. Crankset off, BB out, inspect the tubes inside. Stem+bars off, wheel out, disassemble headset to see how that is holding up.

- New quality cables and housings and a new chain at the very least. Those center-pull calipers have strong springs, so a nicer modern dual-pivot caliper would require less effort and deliver great stopping power.
- Crankset replacement to one that has a 110/74mm BCD pattern instead of a 110mm only will get you to 24/26T for a low ring. At least you have a 36T. A Sugino AT crankset is a lovely crankset for any bike, and possesses such BCD pattern. Lesser yet still pretty Sugino cranksets also exist, as well as a number of modern triples.
- Aero or non-aero brake levers are plenty fine--anything is going to be better than hood-less, old-school levers like those in terms of comfort, operation, and performance.

I've had modern electronic shifting on my '74 Schwinn Paramount. Nothing is too far, or hasn't been done, more or less. If you like certain components--at whatever level of niceness they are--find them, buy them, and install them. Make the bike comfortable for you and capable of the terrain you want it to handle, keeping your own abilities in mind. If you sync all that up, a good bike like a Miyata 610 will be one that you certainly want to keep.
Old 09-09-20, 09:44 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Upgrades on a keeper bike: Dura-Ace

Cheeky, yet truthful, answer aside, is this a keeper for you? If so, do you have a budget? If so, do you possess nice/nicer components or the ability to purchase them (for good prices) locally via Craigslist or LBS (that sells used bike parts)? After all of that, how much do you care about its looks?

There are a number of Very Rusty bits on this bike, some that look unsightly (front derailleur, headset) and others that look unsightly and give me reason to replace them (chain, wheels). A disassembly of the bike to determine if the "bones" are good would be a prudent move. Crankset off, BB out, inspect the tubes inside. Stem+bars off, wheel out, disassemble headset to see how that is holding up.

- New quality cables and housings and a new chain at the very least. Those center-pull calipers have strong springs, so a nicer modern dual-pivot caliper would require less effort and deliver great stopping power.
- Crankset replacement to one that has a 110/74mm BCD pattern instead of a 110mm only will get you to 24/26T for a low ring. At least you have a 36T. A Sugino AT crankset is a lovely crankset for any bike, and possesses such BCD pattern. Lesser yet still pretty Sugino cranksets also exist, as well as a number of modern triples.
- Aero or non-aero brake levers are plenty fine--anything is going to be better than hood-less, old-school levers like those in terms of comfort, operation, and performance.

I've had modern electronic shifting on my '74 Schwinn Paramount. Nothing is too far, or hasn't been done, more or less. If you like certain components--at whatever level of niceness they are--find them, buy them, and install them. Make the bike comfortable for you and capable of the terrain you want it to handle, keeping your own abilities in mind. If you sync all that up, a good bike like a Miyata 610 will be one that you certainly want to keep.
It's already in a box. The frame needed only very minor touch ups. The headset is actually perfect. That was hardened brown grease. I've always been good with centerpulls so I'm OK there. I'm hoping the fd is the same. It's amazing sometimes what they come out looking like. I'm sure I have a good fd that'll work. I bought a nicely priced crank a few months ago with a 110/74 bolt pattern. It was coincidentally made for Miyata with a script engraved arm that has "SIGNATURE" on it. Function is beauty for me but this little beauty has style.
Electric shifting on a bike from '74? Sir, have you no decency?
Old 09-10-20, 12:04 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
It's already in a box. The frame needed only very minor touch ups. The headset is actually perfect. That was hardened brown grease. I've always been good with centerpulls so I'm OK there. I'm hoping the fd is the same. It's amazing sometimes what they come out looking like. I'm sure I have a good fd that'll work. I bought a nicely priced crank a few months ago with a 110/74 bolt pattern. It was coincidentally made for Miyata with a script engraved arm that has "SIGNATURE" on it. Function is beauty for me but this little beauty has style.
Electric shifting on a bike from '74? Sir, have you no decency?
Good to hear that you are well on your way to a well-functioning Miyata.

As for decency, I have plenty:

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 09-10-20, 12:31 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
If I’m going to invest in upgrades, the frame itself really needs to be worth it. I’m afraid that Miyata doesn’t qualify for me.
I'm going to have to agree. My '81 Miyatas didn't make the cut, when compared to my '88 Voyageur and '90 C-dale ST600. They just didn't stack up

The Miyatas were good bikes; the ones I kept are great bikes.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-10-20, 03:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If I was going to keep that bike the only things I wouldn't replace would be the stem/HS/cable hangers everything else would go into the recycling.
Old 09-10-20, 07:12 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
The Miyata 610 is a solid working man's bike.

Completely dismantle it and replace (not "upgrade") the rusty spokes and front derailleur, clean, polsh and lube everything else.
Old 09-10-20, 08:14 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I'm going to throw in a less C&V-approved option and more of an xBiking approach.

If you don't mind a black groupset the Microshift Advent X 10-speed (1x10) is a great option for an affordable price. ($167 for a complete groupset)
Either trigger shifters, brifters or bar-ends but since this is a cassette and not a freewheel it will require new wheels. I'm pretty sure you can find a narrow-wide chainring that fits.
A 40T x 11-48 setup would still give you a range of 22.5 - 98 gear inches.

Still, that would probably set you back somewhere around $400-$500 at the very least for a group set + wheels.

And besides, black wheels on a blue frame look pretty nice.
Old 09-10-20, 09:04 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I'm going to throw in a less C&V-approved option and more of an xBiking approach.............

.............Still, that would probably set you back somewhere around $400-$500 at the very least for a group set + wheels...
I agree, there's nothing special about the 610, so maintaining its C&V status would not be a priority for me either. The bike is going on 40 years old and has obviously been neglected. Restoring the original components and just replacing what is beyond repair will give the bike another 40 years or more if maintained properly.

The question is, will those modern components that cost $400-$500 still be usable 40 years from now?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-10-20, 09:53 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I agree, there's nothing special about the 610, so maintaining its C&V status would not be a priority for me either. The bike is going on 40 years old and has obviously been neglected. Restoring the original components and just replacing what is beyond repair will give the bike another 40 years or more if maintained properly.

The question is, will those modern components that cost $400-$500 still be usable 40 years from now?
Depends on the components. I'd say yes if it's barends, most any non-Di2 derailleur, and some replacement wheels in that price range.
Old 09-10-20, 10:53 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
I'm sort of in the same boat too. A friend had me looking at here 1988 Miyata 312 to see if it's worth upgrading. It's supposedly been sitting for 15 years or so. First thing I noticed is it's really the wrong size for her. She's maybe 5' 5" and it's a 54 cm. So that's pushing it. But all the components seem fine. It does have a wide and upright style gel saddle. Oh and clip on aero bars.

My plans is a throrough clean, degrease and relub of everything. New cables and possibly housings if needed. New chain too and sort out the freewheel as needed. Trying to decide on a good set of tires for it that will ride nice, give good volume, but also be fairly puncture proof.

It she's not doing tri's anymore I'll suggest pulling off the aero bars. Then to get her into a decent saddle and dail in the fit as best can beat. She mentioned being totally blown by in the past on the bike leg of events. Since this really isn't worth putting money in to I'm jsut trying to do what simple improvements I can to make it more enjoyable to use. She doesn't like the DT shifters but once again, converting to a modern setup doesn't make sense. There's a $400 Lemond Zurich in her size for sale locally running Ultegra 9 speed. Buying that make more sense and would be cheaper than sourcing all the parts, spreading a frame and upgrading a bike that really doesn't fit.

I guess my point for the OP is what is that once you evaluate the purpose does it make sense to pursue any upgrades....
Old 09-10-20, 10:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Here's a subject that is totally insignificant but, none the less, interesting to me. What kind of upgrades would you like to see on a bike you were thinking of keeping? I realize it depends on the type of bike and it's original intention and also your experiences. So here's an example:?
I dont want a bike that wont be something I use. As a result, all my c&v bikes have become modernized in various ways. Most run modern drivetrains because I want the convenience of a compact crankset and STI shifting. I have bar end shifters too, but even my older drivetrains are 9sp.

The only exception I currently have to this is if I found a quality frameset from 1981 in 64 or 65cm. I think it would be cool to build up a bike from my birth year with period correct components. So far though, I havent come across a quality 64/65cm road frame from '81.
Old 09-10-20, 11:02 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Good to hear that you are well on your way to a well-functioning Miyata.

This is a real beauty !!
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-10-20, 11:40 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Wheels, nice handbuilt ones with nice hubs and shiny spokes and re-space the rear for 130mm.
That would give a good ride improvement and would be transferable to some other bike looking to the future.
And I wouldn't object to replacing any of that other stuff either.
Old 09-10-20, 12:25 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont want a bike that wont be something I use. As a result, all my c&v bikes have become modernized in various ways. Most run modern drivetrains because I want the convenience of a compact crankset and STI shifting. I have bar end shifters too, but even my older drivetrains are 9sp.

The only exception I currently have to this is if I found a quality frameset from 1981 in 64 or 65cm. I think it would be cool to build up a bike from my birth year with period correct components. So far though, I havent come across a quality 64/65cm road frame from '81.
A number of Treks came in the 25.5" size, which, per their catalogs, would yield a 64-65cm bike. My former '81 716 was 65cm CTT. Pitty about the really low rear brake bridge. Even the 410/412/414 frames were/are really nice to ride, and come in a very nice dark blue or dark slate blue. Up into the late-'70s (no catalogs found between '79-83), top-end Centurions could be had in a 25.5" size. Raleighs had 25.5" forever. Guerciotti Super Record came in 65cm in 1983. I bet there are some Masi's in there as well. Otherwise, bespoke or smaller outfits are likely the way to go for that size in that year.
Old 09-10-20, 01:18 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Likes For guy1138:
Old 09-11-20, 08:52 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by branko_76
The Miyata 610 is a solid working man's bike.

Completely dismantle it and replace (not "upgrade") the rusty spokes and front derailleur, clean, polsh and lube everything else.
I'm pretty much with you. I have a nice set of Matrix 27" wheels. I'll respoke the Arya's later. Found a Campy fd and if the rd works with bar end clickers it stays. I like aero levers for the extra power and the convenience. (nice place to hang stuff to dry). The crank is already in the parts bin. Half step gearing is good for a 15 speed but I've gotten lazy over the years and for a 21 speed, not needed. I know newer stuff is cool but cantilevers twist the seat stays and butted tubing on a big frame with a big load is not as stable as I'd like. I know. I know. I'm out of the mainstream but I've always been a little"different"🤓
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 09-11-20, 09:07 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by jamesdak

I guess my point for the OP is what is that once you evaluate the purpose does it make sense to pursue any upgrades....
Probably not. I have a Klein touring bike that is perfect but I'm a member of the n+1 consortium and this is a much cleaner version of my first touring bike and recreating my first tour, fully loaded, San Diego to San Francisco sounds like a good idea at the time.
Old 09-12-20, 07:03 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Probably not. I have a Klein touring bike that is perfect but I'm a member of the n+1 consortium and this is a much cleaner version of my first touring bike and recreating my first tour, fully loaded, San Diego to San Francisco sounds like a good idea at the time.
Well I am a hypocrite for sure though. I'm sitting here this morning trying to decide which of my 30+ bikes to take out. "Making sense" has never figured into the equation for me either, LOL!
Old 09-12-20, 10:00 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
There's a time to put lipstick on a pig, and a time to leave the pig be.

If that pig brought you to the dance and it means something to you or it does something for you- by all means. Repainting and dollying up a pre-1984 World Sport is understandable if that was the bike that got you into biking and you have so many inspirational memories made on that bike. Fixing up and improving a recently acquired post-1984 World Sport is understandable as it's a 'decent' frame. Repainting, and dropping big bank in dollying up a recently acquired World Sport isn't the best of decisions...

Yeah, I've thrown a ton of money at my 1986 Trek 400 Elance- but I'm well aware of what that bike is, and what it's worth to me. First- it's a good frame, double butted 531 main frame and CrMo fork and stays puts that in the league of a 600 series bike. Second- it's gorgeous paint. The way that paint sparkles in the morning sun still excites me. Third, that was (for whatever reason) the first bike I lusted for and searched for for the better part of a year.

There is a point that throwing money at a project isn't worth it by any measure. $2000 of Phil Wood and Campagnolo on a Varsity is still a Varsity.

I may be wrong- but I think that Miyata checks a couple boxes for you, but isn't a bike you really want. If you've got the parts to replace what needs replacing- go for it, but I wouldn't dump a whole lot of time and money into that bike.

The beauty of bikes is that the one you want will come around- the trick is watching for them and having the money when they show up.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-12-20, 11:12 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I might suggest getting the bike back up and running. replace what needs to be without going overboard, and then ride it, allot, does it fit, do you like it, does it put a smile on your face or do you keep thinking this is ok but..... I recently passed on buying a vintage Specialized Hard rock at a good $$ because I knew the voice in my head would say its ok but its not a Rock Hopper So I am going to wait till I find a Rock Hopper - stupid voice.

Last edited by ryansu; 09-12-20 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-22-20, 04:18 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
There's a time to put lipstick on a pig, and a time to leave the pig be.

If that pig brought you to the dance and it means something to you or it does something for you- by all means. Repainting and dollying up a pre-1984 World Sport is understandable if that was the bike that got you into biking and you have so many inspirational memories made on that bike. Fixing up and improving a recently acquired post-1984 World Sport is understandable as it's a 'decent' frame. Repainting, and dropping big bank in dollying up a recently acquired World Sport isn't the best of decisions...

Yeah, I've thrown a ton of money at my 1986 Trek 400 Elance- but I'm well aware of what that bike is, and what it's worth to me. First- it's a good frame, double butted 531 main frame and CrMo fork and stays puts that in the league of a 600 series bike. Second- it's gorgeous paint. The way that paint sparkles in the morning sun still excites me. Third, that was (for whatever reason) the first bike I lusted for.
Here's the lipstick you mentioned but this is definitely no pig. On big framed touring bikes I much prefer straight gauge tubing. The butted tubing loaded tourers are too flexible for me. Cantilevers are nice but good center pulls are more consistent as they don't twist much. Anyhow here's the final upgraded 610. The parts are all stuff I've aquired over the years. The wheels, saddle and 7 speed clickers where about $100 on CL. The cranks and brake levers came off a flip. The hoods, tape, chain and freewheel were my only new investments. The paint was absolutely stunning. Yes, I probably invested too much time and money but my planned trip to SF from San Diego once I strap on some old racks and panniers should be worth it.

Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 09-24-20, 12:06 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Here's the lipstick you mentioned but this is definitely no pig. On big framed touring bikes I much prefer straight gauge tubing. The butted tubing loaded tourers are too flexible for me. Cantilevers are nice but good center pulls are more consistent as they don't twist much. Anyhow here's the final upgraded 610. The parts are all stuff I've aquired over the years. The wheels, saddle and 7 speed clickers where about $100 on CL. The cranks and brake levers came off a flip. The hoods, tape, chain and freewheel were my only new investments. The paint was absolutely stunning. Yes, I probably invested too much time and money but my planned trip to SF from San Diego once I strap on some old racks and panniers should be worth it.
[Snip]
Love this build. Cheap and very functional. Way cheaper than a new Surly LHT. You'll really enjoy this bike on that trip and that is what matters. How does it ride?
Old 09-24-20, 12:37 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Seems to have turned out just as you envisioned in the opening post. And on a budget, to boot. I can understand your attachment to the frame; evidently a tall frame with a short top tube fits your proportions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.