Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 07:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Southern Wisconsin is like that. If there's a road, chances are it's paved. Gravel roads are either someone's driveway, or a dead end access to a handful of residences. There are more gravel roads in the north woods, that I haven't explored, but would like to.

Local legend has it that the roads need to be paved for the milk trucks.
That legend dates back many decades, when Wisconsin roads were some of the best in the country. Now, they are among the the worst (ranked 49th) in the country. It would be prudent to ride a gravel bike on the paved roads in Wisconsin.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-20, 07:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
99.99999999% of people buying gravel bikes are not riding that trail.
Not a math person, are you? If your number was true, and every person on the planet bought a gravel bike, only one would be riding that trail.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-20, 08:56 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Not a math person, are you? If your number was true, and every person on the planet bought a gravel bike, only one would be riding that trail.
Geez, I was planning to say the same thing.
Old 09-14-20, 01:29 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
You should take a look at these photos and compare those bikes to modern road racing bikes.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bl...ibute-to-jobst
Yes, let's look at them. Those look like 23mm tires, so I guess the typical modern road bike has wider tires (it also has better brakes, easier gearing, more functional gearing with STIs, wider handlebars and so on - even clutched derailleurs). Wherever you took one of those road bikes, you could take a modern road bike unless you're afraid of CF spontaneously exploding (which it won't) or modern wheels falling apart (which, if you're anywhere near normal cyclist weight, they won't, either - modern wheels are no weaker than the old wheels you're seeing there).

I'm just not seeing how old road bikes were better adapted to offroading and hence more versatile then modern ones, unless you go way back to the interwar era, which was, well, far before our time. Once asphalt became common, you got 700c wheels with narrow tires, just like you'd ride today. Sure, if most of your rides feature light offroading, then obviously a gravel bike is optimized for that, but that's not because road bikes became more specialized for pavement only than they used to be.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-14-20 at 01:52 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-14-20, 03:24 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
The road bike has been what it is, except in steel, without STIs for a long time, with skinnier tires than now
Prior to the mid-1980s, outside of some "racing" models, it was very normal for road bikes to take tire widths comparable to what most "endurance" road bikes handle today. 28mm-32mm was pretty normal for stock tire sizes, and even 32mm sometimes left very generous clearances. Here's my '79 Fuji, handling 27mm tires under wide full-length fenders just fine:

This particular bike also came stock with a 110BCD crankset and a rear derailleur with around 35 teeth of wrap that can handle cogs of at least 32T. Originally the bike had a 36-30 low gear, on my current setup it's a very similar 34-28, both of which pretty normal by modern road standards. Granted, this bike is an exception: most old road bikes do have very narrow gearing range (frustratingly, for no apparent real technical reason).

I do agree that, on the whole, most current road bikes are more reasonable for graveling than what Jobst Brandt rode. That the article that's being referenced explicitly says that Brandt was repeatedly snapping his frameset makes it fairly questionable to use as proof that those bikes were well-suited to the task at hand.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-14-20, 03:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
That legend dates back many decades, when Wisconsin roads were some of the best in the country. Now, they are among the the worst (ranked 49th) in the country. It would be prudent to ride a gravel bike on the paved roads in Wisconsin.
When I rode in Wisconsin 2 years ago, I was riding 32mm tires and I really wish I was riding bigger. Those roads are rougher than any I have ridden on gravel. I thought I was going to have pinch flats in Green Bay. The bike trails are nice, if you are going that direction.
Old 09-14-20, 05:30 AM
Grotug

Bikes: Scott Addict Team Issue

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Your post starts out nice and intelligent until you start saying gravel riding is slow and boring. There aren’t any rules for gravel riding. Sometimes they are fast, sometimes slow and sometimes technical: flying down steep, twisty dirt roads at the absolute limit is a total blast! Riding up really rough, steep gravel roads when gravel exploring can be *super* challenging and exhilarating and a *helluva* workout. I love that I can basically go mountain biking on my gravel bike and then haul ass on the road during a mixed ride. The speed of my gravel bike (Origin8) allows me to explore much farther than if I just took my mountain bike and the challenge of pushing the bike over very diverse and disparate terrain is very fun and satisfying in the name of spontaneity and throwing caution to the wind.

Gravel riding is so much fun! Especially when the gravel turns to an old, forgotten foot path or a steep, rugged mountain. It’s all about exploration and adventure for me.

Finally, have you not seen the excellent Tyler Pierce film featuring Jeremiah Bishop? It’s probably my favorite film about cycling and I strongly urge all cyclists to watch it, even if Tyler’s “bro” persona can be a little bit much at times.

The Impossible Route:

It is a brilliant marketing concept. Back in the day, I rode throughout the northeast on unpaved roads on a beater bike because who in their right mind would take something nice on a road where rocks pelted the frame and dirt got in your gears. Mountain bikers do that but gravel bikes are marketed to road bike people.

So it’s brilliant because people scared of cars now have a nice new cycling segment. Thoughts of quiet pastoral trails, nature sightings and fun picnics. In reality though, gravel biking is really boring. Seriously the rides are short and slow with none of the challenge and sport of mountain biking.

Not that I didn’t have fun, but I can’t imagine spending the type of coin people spend on these bikes, thousands even $10,000 or more for a bike to ride slowly on a dirt road for a few miles.

I simply don’t get it but apparently when people hear “gravel bike” they get all hot and bothered when in reality some piece of crap bike is what you need and not a carbon, or custom made steel or titanium bike. Its absurd.

The fad will fade soon I am sure.
Old 09-14-20, 06:54 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'm fairly indifferent. I live in DuPage County IL so there really aren't any gravel roads, unless I load up my bike on the car and drive to them. Kane County, Dekalb County, Ogle County..... Lots of them there though. They're slightly more hilly and scenic too. Can't do that on short notice though so I ride on the rail-trails close to home which are hardpacked limestone screenings so I get the same kind of dust as a gravel road but they're usually smooth as silk unless they're in bad repair.

Sometimes I load up the car and go down to Will County and ride the Old Plank Road Trail which is asphalt but it is far bumpier than the limestone trails close to home. Expansion joints, or roots, or something.... Bone jarring bumps. That trail cries out for a fatter and more compliant tire than the limestone trails ever will.
Old 09-14-20, 07:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
If gravel riding is slow and boring, then that's your fault. I've felt more exhilaration (and fear! lol) on gravel then I ever have on the road.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-14-20, 07:27 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I get what gravel bikes are and what their purpose is (I think). And I get that some people live in areas (and driveways) where gravel is used for paving over dirt so they ride on gravel. What I'm confused about is that there appear to be people who ride specifically on gravel for enjoyment??? Is that correct? And if so, why?
Here's why I do it: Firstly, I live in a small town in a rural area. Aside from the highway running through town (which my wife doesn't like for me to ride on due to the high traffic speeds) there are only a couple of paved roads in & out of town. Secondly, there are a lot of interesting places to see that can only be reached via gravel. For instance, one thing I've always been fascinated by since I was a kid is old bridges. Most of them are on gravel roads way out in the middle of nowhere. The only way to reach them by bike is by riding gravel. And lastly, not being limited to the two paved roads and highway means I can ride in numerous directions and go various places via a network of gravel roads which intersect about every mile, so I don't have to settle for route boredom by riding the same few paved roads all the time. I can expand my horizons and see a lot more of the countryside than I could on a skinny tire road bike.

Oh, and also to add, I have a lot of friends who like to ride on gravel, so when we do group rides on gravel I can join them on my gravel bike.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 09-14-20 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 07:35 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by billyymc
Second, if you think gravel biking is boring you aren't doing it right. Yes it's absolutely slower than road riding so if you want to crank out miles fast definitely it's not what you want.
I agree. Gravel to me is a somewhat leisurely ride to interesting local places I can't easily reach on my skinny-tire road bike. It's about getting out and enjoying the day and slowing down to see parts of the country I don't always get to see and riding routes I don't normally get to ride.
Old 09-14-20, 07:36 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Why Gravel? Because of Tomac silly.

Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-14-20, 07:56 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I get what gravel bikes are and what their purpose is (I think). And I get that some people live in areas (and driveways) where gravel is used for paving over dirt so they ride on gravel. What I'm confused about is that there appear to be people who ride specifically on gravel for enjoyment??? Is that correct? And if so, why?
I did not read the entire thread so this may have been mentioned.
I actively seek the path less traveled, dirt, gravel, off road, the trail etc. I will ALWAYS turn off the paved road when given the chance. I am exclusively a solo rider. I would never purposely do a century of just road unless I was going for the destination, not the ride. I've done many mixed terrain with less than 5 miles of a road in the mix.
Why? When I am on the road with head down pedaling away it is nothing more than a 100% physical challenge and activity. Me riding the bike is secondary and basically just sub conscience autopilot as a platform for my legs to spin. The only challenge is managing my endurance as I get from point A to point B. Pedal and pace yourself, stay close to the road edge and hum along, make a left turn at the intersection and rinse, repeat. There is no mental effort or stimulation with that other than pure raw physical and the mental part to keep the physical going. As roads change they are just different physical challenges, I am on the bike to keep it upright.
Riding off road is total different, you have the same physical demands and endurance management but with an added mental component. You could argue some crushed limestone railtrails are boring though. Your mind is involved, it is constantly changing, you are riding the bike and controlling it for valid reasons, not just pedaling it. There is more to the experience than putting your head down and doing a physical challenge. That mental piece is much welcomed. May or may not be related but I absolutely can't ride a bike on a trainer, I just can't do it. Same with a treadmill. Oddly I like the Elliptical, maybe I have nothing outdoors to compare it to

As for the proper bike, marketing and what you can and can't do on any given bike made 100 years compared to now.. That's a minefield.
If you want to venture off road with your 23-28 tires, have at it and no need for you to buy anything else if it works.

Last edited by u235; 09-14-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 08:08 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
It is a brilliant marketing concept. Back in the day, I rode throughout the northeast on unpaved roads on a beater bike because who in their right mind would take something nice on a road where rocks pelted the frame and dirt got in your gears. Mountain bikers do that but gravel bikes are marketed to road bike people.

So it’s brilliant because people scared of cars now have a nice new cycling segment. Thoughts of quiet pastoral trails, nature sightings and fun picnics. In reality though, gravel biking is really boring. Seriously the rides are short and slow with none of the challenge and sport of mountain biking.

Not that I didn’t have fun, but I can’t imagine spending the type of coin people spend on these bikes, thousands even $10,000 or more for a bike to ride slowly on a dirt road for a few miles.

I simply don’t get it but apparently when people hear “gravel bike” they get all hot and bothered when in reality some piece of crap bike is what you need and not a carbon, or custom made steel or titanium bike. Its absurd.

Exactly.

SELDOM.. does one read words of wisdom in this neck of the 'gravel'.
Old 09-14-20, 08:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Branko D
Road bikes, as they are, are pretty much perfect for road riding of all sorts.
Uh, no. I want to see you handle some of the gravel around here on 700x25c skinny tires. It can be hairy, to say the least. Even on my MTB with 26x1.95 tires there are places it's a bit scary to ride because of the loose gravel.
Old 09-14-20, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Because the cyclists find value in it. That value could be enjoyment, exercise, exploration, challenge, safety, or any number of other reasons.
Regardless, its done because there is value derived from it.

Why do people do things?...value.
Old 09-14-20, 09:25 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why do people do things?...value.
I'm trying to reconcile your statement with why this thread was started, and I'm coming up empty.
Old 09-14-20, 09:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Your hot takes on topics are a hoot. I really do enjoy them. And you dont mind or are unaware of all the gaping holes in your comments that others run right thru, so its quite entertaining to read.

1- Gravel bikes arent a marketing concept. the activity existed before bike brands started designing and marketing for it.
2- Rocks hitting a frame isnt much of a concern for me. Paint stops most rocks and if it chips, then touch it up. Or leave it. Either way, it isnt a big deal.
3- Dirt getting in gears is the reality of a lot of cycling- CX and MTB are kinda dirty too. Dirt in gears is not a valid reason for many to not buy nice bikes. Perhaps everyone with nice gravel, cx, and mtb frames are out of their minds, as you suggest.
4- I havent found my riding to be boring. If I did, I wouldnt do it.
5- My gravel rides are not short and they are not slow. They are as long as I choose and as fast as I am able to ride. Your claim is absurd.
6- I cant imagine spending $10000 on a bike either, but that is because I dont find value in it. Regardless of what someone spends on a bike, if they enjoy it, then what harm is there and what does it matter to you? Also, the speed at which they ride their expensive bike has no bearing on if its a good purchase or if riding on gravel is fun.
7- The fad may fade. Or it may transform. Or the popularity may lessen, but it continue. MTB was a boom a few decades ago and while that has since dropped, MTB is still very much around. Apply that to gravel.

Seriously, please dont stop with your comments as they are entertaining for many.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-14-20, 09:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I'm trying to reconcile your statement with why this thread was started, and I'm coming up empty.
Haha, touche.

There is value in learning(doubt that is being done though). There is value in seeing what comes of a thread you start from an entertainment perspective, I guess.
Old 09-14-20, 09:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Of course...all that is shifting with UCI Pro Teams wanting to invade major events like DK200.
You make multiple references to how unfortunate it is that higher level cycling is dipping its toe into gravel events. What is so bad about it?
Higher level cycling participating doesnt mean it gravel will be off limits to you and others.
Old 09-14-20, 09:39 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is value in seeing what comes of a thread you start from an entertainment perspective, I guess.
That's just trolling.
Old 09-14-20, 09:58 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
That's just trolling.

Or... peddling 'gravy' bikes. Lots .. and lots.. of industry wags around. High profit those flavors. MOST.. all of the bike industry today is
mostly male cow dung.. selling far east junk whereas what is called bike companies--->now marketing concerns make the coin. That is
our 21st century.

Some dudes and dud-ettes like to bling.. bikes.. why not. If it be a new graveler.. what the hey. $$ moving locally.. that works.
Old 09-14-20, 10:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
This comparison of modern road bikes vs older road bikes really beside the point.

The issue here is how modern gravel bikes compare to modern road bike.

Yes, modern road bikes have a lot of advantages over older ride bikes which could possibly make them perform better on many surfaces perhaps even including gravel (though I am a little doubtful)

But modern gravel bikes have those same advantages plus bigger tires and more relaxed geometry than most modern road (pavement) bikes.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-14-20, 10:25 AM
tomato coupe

Just another short, slow, boring gravel ride ...
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Old 09-14-20, 10:28 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Aladin
Or... peddling 'gravy' bikes. Lots .. and lots.. of industry wags around. High profit those flavors. MOST.. all of the bike industry today is
mostly male cow dung.. selling far east junk whereas what is called bike companies--->now marketing concerns make the coin. That is
our 21st century.

Some dudes and dud-ettes like to bling.. bikes.. why not. If it be a new graveler.. what the hey. $$ moving locally.. that works.
Coherent, complete sentences are your friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.