Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First Vintage Bike! - 1989 Miyata 1400

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 09:17 AM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

I'd been looking at vintage steel bikes, just to see what the fuss was about, and I wanted to try out a bike with downtube shifters just for the novelty of it. Anyway, this popped on on the local Craigslist last night and I snatched it up. I think everything is original except the seat and tubes/tires. There's no rust, and everything looks remarkably clean. I took a short ride around the neighborhood last night when I got home, and I'm planning on a longer ride Sunday. So far I'm really impressed at how quiet and smooth everything is.

I've only just started hitting the paint with polish and wax to remove some fine scratches and hazing, so for now I'll just post the pics from the CL ad.

Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 10-09-20, 09:22 AM
ScottRiqui

And a few more pics:

Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 10-09-20, 09:36 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Very nice find !
Old 10-09-20, 12:37 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Wow that looks like it is just out of the show room, how many automobiles from 1989 are in that condition? Enjoy, that should ride great!
Old 10-09-20, 01:25 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Beautiful and all business, once you remove the reflectors, brackets, seat...
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-09-20, 01:40 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
nice find, Miyata and Shimano tri color - very nice and I agree with the clubman loose the awful "comfort" saddle
Likes For ryansu:
Old 10-09-20, 02:02 PM
ScottRiqui

I'm really surprised that the reflectors and such are still on the bike after all this time - there are even little rubber plugs in the bolts that hold the brakes to the frame; I don't know that I've ever seen those before.

And the saddle! - I don't know whose "comfort" it was designed for, but with that much gel, even the short ride around the block I took last night felt like I was balancing my butt on a beach ball! Thankfully I have a lot of "take-off" seats lying around, but I'm open to suggestions for modern seats that would look appropriate. Is a 1989 bike too new for a Brooks B17?
Old 10-09-20, 02:04 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Nice find!!! Looks like it was never ridden!! Hope you got a good deal on it!
Old 10-09-20, 02:10 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by tpadul
Nice find!!! Looks like it was never ridden!! Hope you got a good deal on it!
I'm embarrassed to admit that at $340, I have no idea whether or not I got a good deal. All the pricing information I could find was several years old and obviously doesn't take into account "pandemic pricing." But the bike checked all of my boxes, it's clean and ready to ride, and $340 isn't "second mortgage on the house" money in any case, so I jumped on it.
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 10-09-20, 02:12 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I'm really surprised that the reflectors and such are still on the bike after all this time - there are even little rubber plugs in the bolts that hold the brakes to the frame; I don't know that I've ever seen those before.

And the saddle! - I don't know whose "comfort" it was designed for, but with that much gel, even the short ride around the block I took last night felt like I was balancing my butt on a beach ball! Thankfully I have a lot of "take-off" seats lying around, but I'm open to suggestions for modern seats that would look appropriate. Is a 1989 bike too new for a Brooks B17?
That is a great find at an amazingly good price, IMHO. The components are equally nice, except as noted already.

B-17’s or similar are used on bikes of any vintage. You mention that you have lots of take-off seats, but I’d highly recommend a Gilles Berthoud saddle. Love my two Aravis.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...nents/saddles/
Old 10-09-20, 02:16 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I'm embarrassed to admit that at $340, I have no idea whether or not I got a good deal. All the pricing information I could find was several years old and obviously doesn't take into account "pandemic pricing." But the bike checked all of my boxes, it's clean and ready to ride, and $340 isn't "second mortgage on the house" money in any case, so I jumped on it.
I think that price was pretty good, especially in the condition it is in I think you got a great deal on it!!!!
Old 10-09-20, 02:16 PM
ScottRiqui

Originally Posted by Dfrost
That is a great find at an amazingly good price, IMHO.

B-17’s or similar are used on bikes of any vintage. You mention that you have lots of take-off seats, but I’d highly recommend a Gilles Berthoud saddle. Love my two Aravis.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...nents/saddles/
Thank you - I'll check them out. The takeoffs I have are all Bontrager saddles from recent Trek purchases for me and my wife - we bought recently bought Domanes and she has an FX1, so we went through quite a few seats trying to find ones we like. So while I have a bunch I can try out right away, they're very much all just variations on the same theme.
Old 10-09-20, 02:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
In that condition it's a bargoon. They'd ask for double that in my region.
Old 10-09-20, 02:33 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Here’s a better description of GB saddles:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/whic...s-best-for-me/

They use thicker leather than any Brooks in my experience (multiple examples of older Team Pro, B17’s with Pro-thick leather, Swift). The Aravis/Aspin has the best features of those three Brooks, with improvements over all of them. Note the lower positions of the screw attachments so that you’re not sitting on them, unlike the rivets of a Team Pro, and the screw attachment itself is a great improvement.

Now back to drooling over your great “new” bike!
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 10-09-20, 03:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,536 Posts
the original saddle would have been a turbo. the original pedals would have been 600 tricolor also. Everything else looks right, eveny has the biopace I bought one new and rode it until the one problem this bike has showed up. That is cracks around the holes in the top tube for the aero cable routing. So just check that out occasionally

greast bike, rides and handles great....miss mine

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-09-20, 10:02 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
That is a beauty. TriColor is a very pleasant way to try out downtube shifting and that was a good price for a bike that nice.

edit: oh yea, a Turbo should be tried out. A Concor or one of the clones would also be worth trying.