Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this rim be saved?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can this rim be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 03:06 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Can this rim be saved?

I had a nasty spill on my vintage Peugeot a couple days ago and am just now feeling well enough to take a look at the damage to the bike. As the bike (mostly) ended up landing on top of me, the only damage I can see is the front wheel is bent slightly 🤣
I’m hoping it can be straightened as this Peugeot was actually brought over from France by a 1970’s era immigrant and there is a label printed in French on the rim.
Opinions?
Old 12-30-20, 03:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
You are making a joke correct?

Let's say this were somehow fixable, would you really want to bend back old aluminum from the 60s or 70s and continue using it as a bike rim? Just because something is old doesn't make it worth much and is certainly not worth more than your health and safety.
Old 12-30-20, 03:13 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
my first thought is a big old "no, that is a late rim. it has gone to meet its maker." However, there are some tech wizards on there who might know of ways to rescue something like that. I know there's some nostalgia behind that rim that might make it worth the effort. otherwise, time for something better. I am the least nostalgic person you'll ever meet, so my approach would be to toss it and upgrade.

edit: my actual first thought was "is this a joke thread?" but I thought that might be insensitive. now that I see someone else was thinking the same thing, is this a joke thread?
Old 12-30-20, 03:21 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

This is not a joke thread.

I know nothing of what can possibly be done to save this wheel so I’m simply asking a question.
Old 12-30-20, 03:22 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If it could be fixed, it isn’t just with a spoke wrench. You need to de-tension the wheel and see what shape it takes naturally. Some times a photo-chipped wheel in a meta-stable position can be popped back into position, but I don’t ever recall an “s-shaped” wheel having even tensions all around, which potato-chipped wheels sometimes do.

The odds are certainly against you. The rim would need to be nearly perfect to build up correctly after such a severe soft-wheel failure.
Old 12-30-20, 03:25 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

is the rim joint (at the bottom of the wheel in the photo) damaged? if so, that wheel is beyond what any reasonable person would do to fix it.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-30-20, 03:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's dead Jim.
Old 12-30-20, 04:05 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

make a bottle opener out of it. here's mine:

yes, I open bottles with it.
Old 12-30-20, 04:06 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
is the rim joint (at the bottom of the wheel in the photo) damaged? if so, that wheel is beyond what any reasonable person would do to fix it.
Ahhh yes...... it has separated at the joint. Did not see that until you mentioned it. Ok, now I know !
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 12-30-20, 04:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Tomm,
Sorry about your spill and welcome to the "Over the Bars" club. I would suggest putting a call out to C&V members to see if a comparable rim can be found. I have a bunch of old rims here that might be of interest to match your old one, and I am sure there are a bunch of hoarders here who might have a close match for you. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-30-20, 05:03 PM
Tomm Willians

Well low and behold........ based on the consensus I looked in my storage area and found a newer version Mavic that cosmetic wise looks nearly identical to the smashed vintage unit👍🏻. In spite of still being in a lot of pain from the collision, I HAD to see the bike in functioning condition again so wrestled the tire off, replaced the tube and put her back together.
Now a trip to the LBS to see why it occurred.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 12-30-20, 08:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Since you have nothing to lose except a few minutes of your time, why not somewhat evenly, release all the spoke tension and see what shape the rim assumes.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-30-20, 09:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
So here's a point in time many years ago, about 10 miles from the end of a many day tour from VT to Portland, Maine. I was able to whack the wheel pretty straight then with spoke work get it stable enough to ride to the end. The tire just barely cleared the fork and the ft brake was way loosened.

But in no way did I think anything but getting back on the road was the goal. Your rim will never be the same. Replace it ASAP even if you do manage to make it sort of straight. Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Andy's Wheel Maine Tour.pdf (179.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-30-20, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
This is not a joke thread.

I know nothing of what can possibly be done to save this wheel so I’m simply asking a question.
Uh Oh I was really hoping you were making a joke...I get it beloved part don't want to lose it but sometimes you have to let it go.

Even if not separated it wouldn't be safe to ride it and again would you really want to ride on a vintage aluminum rim someone had straightened out 50 years later after how many miles (or kilometers) and stress loads it has gone through? Your life is way more worthwhile than some old rim on a Peugeot even with a cool story and provenance. Heck even if it had been used by Eddy Merckx himself when he was on the Peugeot BP Michelin Team it would still not be worth risking your life over. Use it as a cool wall hanger, stay safe and stay alive.

The newer Mavic rim will be excellent and you will have a good story to tell and live to tell it albeit in some good pain right now.
Old 12-31-20, 12:59 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
Can be attempted ONLY if the rim joint has NOT been comprised as hinted by the quoted poster.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 12-31-20, 10:12 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I once „saved“ such a rim. Means bent it back over an edge of a table and retrued it. But i never rode it and never will.
Old 01-01-21, 03:56 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
It can be saved for the recycle bin.
Tim