Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How common is 300w for an hour?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How common is 300w for an hour?

Old 02-19-21, 11:04 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
East Coast Watts.
I am starting a petition to rename the East Coast to Beast Coast
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-19-21, 11:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I am starting a petition to rename the East Coast to Beast Coast
I am liking this naming competition a lot. West Coast to Best Coast.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-19-21, 12:23 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I'm going to start a punk band called East Coast Watts

I am impressed that this thread hit 6 pages.
Likes For cmh:
Old 02-19-21, 01:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Ooooo, ooooooooooo, good news. Next Zwift ride I update my weight. Neener neener, minus 1kg for me! The Withings is moving in the right direction! Yesss.............

Or I could just cheat, lol.

Might have to do with not drinking 450cal of red wine every night now. Now, La Croix. Red wine just Fri/Sat night. Dry the others. Better recovery/rest also since no alcohol on nights after HIIT. Right now my pattern is HIIT during the week on shorter rides and weekend has easier/longer rides.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-19-21, 04:07 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Zwift ramp test just said 303 (at 72kg) and Xert tells me 327 most recently. I did Alpe du Zwift at 287 (felt like high tempo) for 48 minutes.

I’m 45 now and I was a cat 3 when I left the US for Scotland 5 years ago. I’m a 3 over here now. I won some 3/4 races in the states and club races and I’ve podium’d a couple 3/4s over here. UK fields are full and stacked and I don’t feel nearly as strong (maybe that’s Father Time too).

To TMonk’s point, I’m broader shouldered than teammates, some of whom look like their hips are almost wider than their shoulders. My sprint isn’t great, and sometimes I get intimidated by the competition. All this is to say, you could do a lot better or worse than me with 300w, so hard to say how prevalent it is.
Likes For Yep:
Old 02-19-21, 04:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ooooo, ooooooooooo, good news. Next Zwift ride I update my weight. Neener neener, minus 1kg for me! The Withings is moving in the right direction! Yesss.............

Or I could just cheat, lol.

Might have to do with not drinking 450cal of red wine every night now. Now, La Croix. Red wine just Fri/Sat night. Dry the others. Better recovery/rest also since no alcohol on nights after HIIT. Right now my pattern is HIIT during the week on shorter rides and weekend has easier/longer rides.
If you make a Fitbit account. Sync your Withings Healthmate account with Fitbit and sync your Fitbit account with Zwift, it will automatically update your weight every time it takes a measurement (or at least once every day you take a measurement). Not as good as the old days when Withings used to directly sync with Zwift, but a small step in the right direction.
Old 02-19-21, 04:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh

It's winter in a pandemic. What else are we going to do?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-19-21, 04:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I'm going to start a punk band called East Coast Watts

Beast Coast Watts
Old 02-19-21, 07:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by himespau
If you make a Fitbit account. Sync your Withings Healthmate account with Fitbit and sync your Fitbit account with Zwift, it will automatically update your weight every time it takes a measurement (or at least once every day you take a measurement). Not as good as the old days when Withings used to directly sync with Zwift, but a small step in the right direction.
It tracks weight, fat, and muscle to my Trainingpeaks account.

But I have that chart beside my chart of KJ’s per week.
Old 02-20-21, 06:41 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I know of one 19ish year old Cat 4 with well north of a 300 watt threshold (he recently did 400 for 20 minutes at ~170 lbs), but he won't be a cat 4 for very long. Or a 3, either.

I'd say a good number of the local cat 1/2s that are 160 lbs+ can do it, but there are also a good number of Cat 2/3s in the 145-165lb range that can't. All the good cat 1s I know can do it easily, and for multiple hours (one did it for four hours a couple of months ago, another just did 325 for 4 hours; pretty big exceptions).

So no, I'd say it is most definitely not common in the least, especially in the lower categories. Easily verifiable on Strava.

But everyone is faster on the internet...
400 for 20 minutes. I can’t even. So strong.
Old 02-20-21, 06:47 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Originally Posted by nslckevin
I think it's a lot less rare than people think. I know plenty of guys who can do 300W for an hour and plenty of them are in their 40's and 50's. The local young hot shot p/1/2 guys here in NorCal would be north of 350W. (for guys who are say 60-70ish kg)

Here is a good example. Mt. Hamilton out of San Jose. Part of the annual Mt. Hamilton RR. It's 18 miles of climbing but has two short descents that will lower your average power. Still, tons of guys over 300 watts for this climb. Not to mention that they still have more than 40 tough miles to the finish.

Personally, I looked through my Strava and found where I averaged 300W for 2:30 at age 56.
Yeah, but you’re who you are. Not normal.

EDIT: Reread and thought this sounded nasty. Not intended that way, just thought I would point out that you’re on a pretty special level.

Last edited by Yep; 02-20-21 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For Yep:
Old 02-20-21, 06:49 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
At that altitude, was there significant altitude-induced power loss happening over that last hour plus?
Google him. He’s international caliber.
Old 02-21-21, 12:00 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I have heard a lot of good things about them! Thanks for the testimony.
They are great. I bought gen 1 and they required tweaking and calibration, but a great value and worked. I didn't like the pods on the Vectors. They use the Keo (not Shimano) cleats.

Last edited by Doge; 02-21-21 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 02-21-21, 06:25 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by gsteinb
make it 3% then, or 5%. The point is that as long as your numbers are consistent their absoluteness isn't very important.
For bragging it kinda is.
Maybe James here is really 70# (with bike being half of what Phil is with bike).
Old 02-21-21, 06:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Doge
For bragging it kinda is.
Maybe James here is really 70# (with bike being half of what Phil is with bike).
I've zero idea the context for that or the original intent of the post. I looked up the dude's name and it's a pro rider for Israel Startup. My guess is that they have a dual sided meter that for some reason is reporting zero for the other side.

Not related to that, but around here we're starting to see idiots posting e-bike rides to normal bike Strava with silly KOM's. And some have a power meter somehow on it showing next to zero watts. I'm guessing if that gets to be big, it'll ruin Strava segments for good.

Also, folks are getting super bored. Some guys who ride the in-town weeknight ride and ride pretty well put up some new super stupid segments through my part of town recently. Both through lights. I know those dudes, and know those lights. That light don't change unless a car trips it from the neighborhood, and no car is there 99.9999999% of the time you go through there. I'm ignoring it all.
Old 02-21-21, 07:12 PM
Doge

I've zero idea the context for that or the original intent of the post. I looked up the dude's name and it's a pro rider for Israel Startup. My guess is that they have a dual sided meter that for some reason is reporting zero for the other side.

Not related to that, but around here we're starting to see idiots posting e-bike rides to normal bike Strava with silly KOM's. And some have a power meter somehow on it showing next to zero watts. I'm guessing if that gets to be big, it'll ruin Strava segments for good.

Also, folks are getting super bored. Some guys who ride the in-town weeknight ride and ride pretty well put up some new super stupid segments through my part of town recently. Both through lights. I know those dudes, and know those lights. That light don't change unless a car trips it from the neighborhood, and no car is there 99.9999999% of the time you go through there. I'm ignoring it all.
When my kid was a minor, if he posted those things, well, he didn't. Please to say he mostly does not now. The eBikes are a much bigger safety issue locally (Beach connecting the OC to San Diego) and esp. with the surf boards.
Legislation is coming and I expect they will not like it.
Old 02-23-21, 07:05 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I Same for 60kg folks on Zwift. Can't trust it.
I can race at or below 60kg. I was as low as 125 in 2019.
Old 02-23-21, 07:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I can race at or below 60kg. I was as low as 125 in 2019.
I should have qualified that by stating folks flying around Watopia like possessed apparitions at 40mph up mountains. I think some folks cut their weight big time to get more xp and elevation faster than possible otherwise.

Can’t really fake your weight in real life to the smaller. Haha.

Surely there are tiny folks on there though.
Old 02-23-21, 07:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

sizeist
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-23-21, 08:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
They are great. I bought gen 1 and they required tweaking and calibration, but a great value and worked. I didn't like the pods on the Vectors. They use the Keo (not Shimano) cleats.
I've never heard of Assiomas requiring tweaking and calibration. Prior to the auto zero function, you just performed a zero offset like any other PM. What kind of tweaking are you talking about?
Old 02-23-21, 04:04 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by jadocs
I've never heard of Assiomas requiring tweaking and calibration. Prior to the auto zero function, you just performed a zero offset like any other PM. What kind of tweaking are you talking about?
I got my reservation code in Aug 2015. I got the bePRO (#771-00) € 749,00

At that time you had to index them to a sticker on the crank. That was over 5 years and I only did it 2-3 times, so I don't remember details. It was shipped with the stickers and tool shown.

Old 02-24-21, 09:40 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
My understanding is that the math formula used to get your FTP from a 20 minute test is supposed to be representative of what you should be able to do over an hour. But It doesn't seem right to me. The last FTP test I did on Zwift, on rollers with a power tap hub I averaged 330 watts for 20 minutes. But there is no way I could hold 300 for an hour. I've done a few A races on Zwift and I'm like dying at 3.5kg/w and I'm looking at everyone else around me at 4.5 and 5kg/w and then just watch them ride away in the virtual distance.

Perhaps doing a 20 minute test on the road would be more realistic IDK.
Old 02-24-21, 10:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Typically, indoor power numbers are 10-15% lower than outdoor numbers.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-24-21, 11:40 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Typically, indoor power numbers are 10-15% lower than outdoor numbers.
Concur if the rolling resistance is lower on the trainer than it is outside. You don't get any benefit from inertia (aka real road feel). However his 20 min result was indoors so any estimate (time/duration) as a result of that should also apply indoors. In other words it wasn't an outside 20 min estimation. Personally, I skip all ramp and 20 min estimations and set my zones off my outside one hour power (deliberate TT effort, not riding around with micro recoveries). Now my trainer definitely does not have the same rolling resistance as outside, so you are right about the 10%-15% difference. It does make me work harder and I consider that a good thing.
Old 02-24-21, 11:56 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Since this came up, I say that unless you do events where it would be really useful to know your hour power......it isn't really worth messing with.

Do a few benchmark efforts around the time durations of workouts you might want to do, then take off some % to be able to do the sets. Then adjust the workouts as necessary.

20min for many folks way over estimates things. But can be a perfectly fine gauge if you want to know what power to do your 8min sets or 9min under/over sets at, for example.

Just IMHO.

To address the above about doing 330w for 20min and dying in a Zwift race, sounds to me maybe you weigh more than the other competitors doing more w/kg. Just a guess. If so, for now, tailor your events to flatter stuff where your power shines through and the skinny boys on lower power have a harder time.

The thing about some of the figures floating around out there too that rubs me as funny is when the 20min versus hour figure gets wildly lower than 10%. The old 5% is if you do the actual wringer warmup for the 20min test that nobody does right. 10% for many folks seems right. 30% of my 305w 20min best would be about 275 or so. I can do that, now. It's in my Trainingpeaks that I did.

If your hour seems impossible at even 10% reduction....I'd say it's something to look into.

As for the indoors/outdoors thing, I find that power loss is if you're talking longer indoors efforts. Like 20min and longer. Under 20min, or in sets with enough rest, I feel I can cool off enough to go again. It's when performing at top level indoors for loooong periods the heat just doesn't dissipate enough due to no rest intervals. Outdoors, the volume of air is just so great that doesn't come into play.

So, IMO, I'd say no.....my 20min indoors is not lower than my outdoors. It's just short enough the heat accumulation doesn't kill it. The advantage indoors on 20min is you don't have to find a route where you can put out a super steady power for 20min straight. I don't live near big climbs. Shoot, many country roads here have stops or lights after 5mi at most.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.