Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can bike riding help lose weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-21, 09:14 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
and it’s really important to count calories. Some foods are sneakily bad for you. Ride regularly and use an app like myfitnesspal to track calories.
Personally I don't believe in counting calories or using any apps to tell me what to eat and when to eat. I know what my body needs..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-06-21, 09:32 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EliasGoodman
Hi everybody,
cycling can lose weight or not? My friend cycled daily around the area where she lived but did not seem to notice the weight loss but also tended to increase slowly. Do not know where the problem lies? Can someone point me out the problem?
Thank you very much for your interest in my matter.
Cycling can help you lose weight. I lost 50 lbs of weight in 6 months by cycling, two gym classes in HS, and a crash diet. Diet being the operative word. She might to check her diet and if that's the problem. You can cycle 24/7 and not lose any weight if your diet is bad. Diet is 95% of weight loss. Exercise is great, because it fires up your metabolism, produces endorphins, and is a general tonic for overall health. Good luck to your friend.
Old 06-06-21, 09:58 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
In the last 9 months I've cycled enough, according to my power meter, to lose 60 pounds of fat. I've actually lost 40 pounds so far. Cycling was over 100% of my weight loss. According to the "diet is most of your weight loss" people this should be impossible. My diet is terrible (and intermittent fasting was a complete failure) and I would have lost more weight if I ate less. But, still, I lost weight.

Burn more calories than you consume.
Likes For guachi:
Old 06-06-21, 10:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
This.

Body weight is a numbers game. If you ride enough, it's actually hard to get enough calories to maintain weight.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-06-21, 10:17 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
In the last 9 months I've cycled enough, according to my power meter, to lose 60 pounds of fat. I've actually lost 40 pounds so far. Cycling was over 100% of my weight loss. According to the "diet is most of your weight loss" people this should be impossible. My diet is terrible (and intermittent fasting was a complete failure) and I would have lost more weight if I ate less. But, still, I lost weight.

Good post. Nevertheless, a lot of people lack the time to ride enough to make this happen without dieting - jobs, family, kids, other commitments. I've lost weight through bicycling without dieting also, but was unemployed at the time 😂🤣😂😎
Old 06-07-21, 04:46 AM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Not so at all in my case. After about 3 months into the cycling season I lose 10 to 15 pounds.
how much were you cycling and did you modify your diet ?
Old 06-07-21, 07:36 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Before I put my 2¢ in here, full disclosure: I am a certified health coach.

Having said that, let's begin:

1) The most important factor in weight loss is diet. Even if you did zero exercise, if you eat the way humans are intended to eat, determined by 2.5 million years of human evolution, you will attain your ideal body weight.

2) Cycling is poor general exercise, unless you are doing so at a semi-pro to pro level. I'm guessing you are not. Witness the number of cyclists you see with trim, fit legs, skinny arms and chest, and a beer belly.

What to eat? Let evolution be your guide. Humans have the ability to be either carb-burners or fat-burners. You want to be a fat-burner. Most people are carb-burners, as the human diet has shifted in the last 10,000 or so years (but particularly the last 100 years) towards carbs and away from healthy fats.

What to limit or avoid entirely: grains, beans, refined sugars, industrial seed oils, highly processed packaged foods.
What to eat: high quality meat, fish and fowl, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. (see graphic below)

Eat this way as much as possible. I shoot for an 80/20 balance. 80% of the time I eat great, 20% of the time I eat what I want. After a really long ride, I like a good beer and a burger just as much as the next guy.

And for heaven's sake, don't count calories.

Old 06-07-21, 08:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by johnnyace
I am a certified health coach.
Thanks for the warning.

Cycling is poor general exercise, unless you are doing so at a semi-pro to pro level. I'm guessing you are not...
Since you call cycling a "poor general exercise", I'm guessing you have a poor understanding of the health benefits of endurance exercise, and how much of that exercise can elicit those benefits.

Humans have the ability to be either carb-burners or fat-burners. You want to be a fat-burner.
True, increasing fat oxidation capacity can reduce the chances of getting heart disease or type 2 diabetes.

One of the most effective ways to increase your fat metabolism capacity is with aerobic endurance training. And arguably the most effective endurance training is, you guessed it, cycling.

Do that.

There is a way to decrease your fat oxidation capability, and therefore increase the chance of developing adult onset diseases. Want to know what it is? Eating a high-fat, low-carb diet.

Don't do that.

Recap: Be a great fat burner and do lots of endurance exercise, like cycling. Don't be a great fat eater.

EDIT: Here's a dietary guide that isn't from a "certified health coach":

Copyright © 2011, Harvard University. For more information about The Healthy Eating Plate, please see The Nutrition Source, Department of Nutrition, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, www.thenutritionsource.org, and Harvard Health Publications, www.health.harvard.edu.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-07-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-07-21, 08:56 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I'm down 19 lbs. in 6 weeks. Riding as much as possible, as hard as possible, and watching what I eat. It's working but I know it's not sustainable in the long term. I'd deal with that problem once I hit my target weight though. In the mean time I couldn't lose as fast as I am without cycling.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 06-07-21, 09:36 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Since you call cycling a "poor general exercise", I'm guessing you have a poor understanding of the health benefits of endurance exercise, and how much of that exercise can elicit those benefits.
No, I don't. Humans are endurance experts, more so than any other mammal on the planet. But endurance is only part of the picture. Apparently you missed the "general" part in "poor general exercise." The way most people cycle, is indeed poor general exercise. Movement that includes cycling, as well as some stretching, strength training, and occasional sprinting (whether on bike or foot) is better.

As to the rest of your post, congratulations on helping perpetuate what amounts to the Standard American Diet, which is responsible for the massive increase in type 2 diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. As for the Harvard study, while they get some things right, anyone who considers canola oil healthy is seriously questionable.

Apparently my 35 years of experience in diet, health, and fitness, and perfect numbers at age 55, are for naught.
Old 06-07-21, 09:41 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

...anyone who considers canola oil healthy is seriously questionable

"seriously questionable"? Evidence to the contrary:

Ask the Expert: Concerns about canola oil

[C]anola oil is a safe and healthy form of fat that will reduce blood LDL cholesterol levels and heart disease risk compared to carbohydrates or saturated fats such as found in beef tallow or butter. Indeed, in a randomized trial that showed one of the most striking reductions in risk of heart disease, canola oil was used as the primary form of fat.

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-07-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-07-21, 10:27 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
No, I don't. Humans are endurance experts, more so than any other mammal on the planet. But endurance is only part of the picture. Apparently you missed the "general" part in "poor general exercise." The way most people cycle, is indeed poor general exercise. Movement that includes cycling, as well as some stretching, strength training, and occasional sprinting (whether on bike or foot) is better.

As to the rest of your post, congratulations on helping perpetuate what amounts to the Standard American Diet, which is responsible for the massive increase in type 2 diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. As for the Harvard study, while they get some things right, anyone who considers canola oil healthy is seriously questionable.

Apparently my 35 years of experience in diet, health, and fitness, and perfect numbers at age 55, are for naught.
Come on man, cycling is not a "poor general exercise." It's a great exercise which is easy on leg joints and gets the heart rate elevated. This isn't a contest of "what's the BEST exercise."
Likes For Nessism:
Old 06-07-21, 11:08 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

"seriously questionable"? Evidence to the contrary:
Congratulations, you can find evidence to support your claims! So can I, it's called "confirmation bias." Did you go to Harvard, or something?

https://www.stemjar.com/is-canola-oil-healthy/
https://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/canola-oil/
https://draxe.com/nutrition/canola-oil-gm/
https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com...out-canola-oil

How canola oil is made:
Old 06-07-21, 11:12 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Nessism
Come on man, cycling is not a "poor general exercise." It's a great exercise which is easy on leg joints and gets the heart rate elevated. This isn't a contest of "what's the BEST exercise."
It is great exercise, as part of a bigger picture. What contest are you talking about?
Old 06-07-21, 11:24 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Congratulations, you can find evidence to support your claims! So can I, it's called "confirmation bias." Did you go to Harvard, or something?
The evidence I cite (professor of nutrition at Harvard, backed by references to published articles) and your "evidence" are rather different.

Mine has been through the scientific peer-review process. Yours are mostly fact-free articles written by who knows who, with no peer review.

As for me, I'll stick with actual experts who cite real science.

And no, I didn't go to Harvard (which I've heard is a decent school). I went to Stanford.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-07-21, 11:34 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
The way most people cycle, is indeed poor general exercise. Movement that includes cycling, as well as some stretching, strength training, and occasional sprinting (whether on bike or foot) is better.
Cycling is more beneficial when it includes ... cycling?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-07-21, 11:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't eat canola oil. Only ghee
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-07-21, 12:15 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

The evidence I cite (professor of nutrition at Harvard, backed by references to published articles) and your "evidence" are rather different.

Mine has been through the scientific peer-review process. Yours are mostly fact-free articles written by who knows who, with no peer review.

As for me, I'll stick with actual experts who cite real science.
Okay, fair enough:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...nce/canola-oil
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17373-3
https://science.naturalnews.com/Canola_oil.html
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...great-con-ola/

And of course, academia is never influenced by industry money.

Last edited by johnnyace; 06-07-21 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-07-21, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

I think all you proved with those links is you're apparently close to illiterate. The only one that seems to agree with you is clearly a quack site, the others have nothing to do with canola supposedly being bad.

Just a heads-up, people on these forums are used to "health" hucksters, so alternating between pretending you're knowledgeable about the science then attacking the "agenda" of science is really not a good strategy. Do your sales pitch somewhere else.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-07-21 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-21, 07:11 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The only one that seems to agree with you is clearly a quack site, the others have nothing to do with canola supposedly being bad.
Sure man, whatever.

Effect of canola oil consumption on memory, synapse and neuropathology in the triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease

Abstract

In recent years consumption of canola oil has increased due to lower cost compared with olive oil and the perception that it shares its health benefits. However, no data are available on the effect of canola oil intake on Alzheimer’s disease (AD) pathogenesis. Herein, we investigated the effect of chronic daily consumption of canola oil on the phenotype of a mouse model of AD that develops both plaques and tangles (3xTg). To this end mice received either regular chow or a chow diet supplemented with canola oil for 6 months. At this time point we found that chronic exposure to the canola-rich diet resulted in a significant increase in body weight and impairments in their working memory together with decrease levels of post-synaptic density protein-95, a marker of synaptic integrity, and an increase in the ratio of insoluble Aβ 42/40. No significant changes were observed in tau phosphorylation and neuroinflammation. Taken together, our findings do not support a beneficial effect of chronic canola oil consumption on two important aspects of AD pathophysiology which includes memory impairments as well as synaptic integrity. While more studies are needed, our data do not justify the current trend aimed at replacing olive oil with canola oil.
Old 06-07-21, 07:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
FYI... I lost 22 pounds in 16 weeks by riding 1200 miles and cutting out all the crap I was eating and drinking. more chicken, less red meat. More salid and fruit and snacks. More water and no sweet drinks.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-07-21, 07:40 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Thanks for the warning.
🤣😂🤣 Made my day
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 06-07-21, 07:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Sure man, whatever.

Your big case against canola is it doesn't prevent Alzheimer's?

Sure, man, whatever yourself.

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-21, 07:58 AM
pickysoul

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think it's a lie............
4 years gains more weight............
Old 06-10-21, 04:12 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Cycling can lead to weight lose if you don't eat junk food and pile on extra calories. Keep it simple. Limit sugar, fat, salt, processed foods, fast foods. Change thoughts about food as a reward, treat, pleasure, etc. Just drink water, and plenty of it. Watch portion sizes. Snack on carrots, bananas, etc. Don't focus on a diet, but your eating habits. Don't get frustrated. Adjust yourself to making a long-term commitment.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 06-10-21 at 04:15 AM.
Likes For cycleheimer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.