Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Play in the headset and/or down bearing

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-19-21, 02:20 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

I've noticed that my nearly brand new Bike Friday has developed (or maybe I'm only just noticing it?) some play in the headset (a/k/a/ top cone?) and/or down bearing (a/k/a/ bottom cup). It's pretty disconcerting. I don't see any obvious way to tighten them. (I do much of my own mechanic work, so if it's possible to fix it myself, I want to do it myself.)

Is this typical with folders? Do I accept it or recognize it as a sign of catastrophe? Unfortunately, since BF is on the opposite corner of the country, I can't easily take it in to them, and I really, really don't trust any of the local bike shops to touch this thing.
Old 04-19-21, 03:07 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I've noticed that my nearly brand new Bike Friday has developed (or maybe I'm only just noticing it?) some play in the headset (a/k/a/ top cone?) and/or down bearing (a/k/a/ bottom cup). It's pretty disconcerting. I don't see any obvious way to tighten them. (I do much of my own mechanic work, so if it's possible to fix it myself, I want to do it myself.)

Is this typical with folders? Do I accept it or recognize it as a sign of catastrophe? Unfortunately, since BF is on the opposite corner of the country, I can't easily take it in to them, and I really, really don't trust any of the local bike shops to touch this thing.
It sounds like its loose. No special headsets for folders AFAIK but I don't have a Friday. You will likely need at least one special headset wrench which is like a large cone wrench and another large wrench to loosen the lock nuts. See https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Old 04-19-21, 04:36 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Call Bike Friday at their 800 number and one of the people there will walk you through the adjustment. Roger