Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim or disk brakes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rim or disk brakes?

Old 05-12-21, 10:08 AM
Not2worried

Bikes: FX 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After moving over to disc, Im not sure I could go back to rim brakes.
Likes For Not2worried:
Old 05-12-21, 10:31 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Not2worried
After moving over to disc, Im not sure I could go back to rim brakes.
That's just it. Those advocating rim brakes don't know what they don't know.
Old 05-12-21, 11:11 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by utku1985
What is better ? Rim or disc brakes
metallic or hydro ?
I don't know that there is much debate on this. Hydraulic disc brakes perform better than rim brakes. But at what price point, and do you need them for the kind of riding you want to do? For example, if you were doing touring, you might still want some sort of cantilever brakes as they can be easily repaired and parts can be found pretty much anywhere bike parts are sold. Hydraulic discs? Maybe not everyplace and not by everyone.
The other thing to keep in mind is, until fairly recently, rim brakes were what everybody used, so there are a lot of used bicycles with them out there. Are they instantly all ready for the landfill? Of course not, and if you are just looking for a bicycle, something with cantilever brakes, V brakes, or road caliper will work just fine, so long as it is a reputable brand.
Old 05-12-21, 11:28 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
What "problem" do you imagine you solved?
Do you understand that this is, yet ANOTHER, thread about rim vs disc brakes? Okay.
You get that it's a troll thread, correct? Good.

What my post solved was showing that rims....are discs. Get it? It's a play on words. There's no question to be answered no solutions as to which is better at all because a rim is shaped like a disc...GET IT?

Good grief people....Okay, I gotta quit trying to converse with people who ride in the Hum Drum Vee.

I'll wonder, in sadness, back to the Fun Vee and you geniuses can finally solve the "problem" of rim/disc once and for all.

Jesus Christ.
Old 05-12-21, 11:50 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
That's just it. Those advocating rim brakes don't know what they don't know.
I was watching Stage 4 of the Giro yesterday as my fellow American was riding hither and yonder, quite quickly I might add, in the rain. He was up and down steep climbs at high speeds with pouring rain. It was a fun stage to watch but towards the end they did a head on shot and I screamed in absolute HORROR (my wife wet her pants and I still can't find my dog) as I noticed this dumb American ass-wipe completed the whole bike race, even being so stupid as to lead from the front, on those deadly *shudders* Rim Brakes.

It's only fitting that he fell and broke his collar bone today...probably because of those same rim brakes.

Hopefully the blind and stupid will finally see the light.
Old 05-12-21, 11:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
This is easy to answer. Disc brakes all day long.

Who cares about stopping? Disc brakes make the bike heavier and you'll get a better workout.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-12-21, 12:12 PM
RTraveller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
discs (until I accidentally spray them with oil while lubing my chain!)
Old 05-12-21, 12:27 PM
prj71

Eventually all the bikes will have disc brakes and this topic will no longer be a thing.

Even the cheap Walmart bikes are starting to come with cheap disc brakes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xisheep-7...lack/700140121
Old 05-12-21, 02:05 PM
pisuicas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
rim brake
+ whole brake system is light (compare to disc) so great for climbing
+ cheaper to maintain
+ easier to maintain
- very bad descending on rainy days
disc
+ new industry standard
+ great on rainy days
+ wheelsets no brake surface
+ wheelsets look better without brake surface
- complete system is heavier than rim brakes
- disc rub is common more maintenance
- pads wear faster so more money
Likes For pisuicas:
Old 05-12-21, 03:28 PM
prj71

Lol. Having a rim brake doesn't make you a better or faster climber.
Likes For prj71:
Old 05-12-21, 03:39 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Too early to tell. We are clearly beyond the "early adopter" stage but not very far into the "mature" stage, by which I mean that they cover the price range from top to bottom. I'd like to see how they behave when they've been neglected, abused, left out all winter, and so forth. I'd like to see what questions beginners ask about maintaining them on BF -- what kinds of problems actually emerge, and how do people cope with them? What's it look like to replace a damaged disc brake on a 20 year old bike?

It's not a slam dunk, but by those criteria rim brakes aren't much to write home about either. There is a huge variation in quality. High quality, dual pivot calipers are snappy, cheap vee brakes with hardened pads are crappy. What are crappy disc brakes like? Brake noise seems like a coin toss. The disc brakes my Diamondback are excellent, on my wife's Surly, horrible.

I'm not a competitive or fast cyclist, just an old pokey commuter and casual rider. I have a lot of friends in more or less the same boat. Virtually all of them, when they've tried a bike with disc brakes, think the difference is night and day. One friend thinks I have a death wish because one of my bikes has rim brakes. But they're comparing new disc brakes on decent quality bikes to the crappy vee brakes with hardened pads and gummed up cables on their old bikes. When they have tried my dual pivots, they agree that they're pretty snappy. But dual pivots don't accommodate big tires. When I point out that disc brakes have slightly better performance in wet weather, they point out that they won't ever ride in wet weather.
Old 05-12-21, 03:45 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
If they make disc brakes as light, cheap and easy to maintain as rim ones - then discs all the way. Until then each system has pros and cons.

Disclaimer: I have 3 bikes with Shimano Ultegra and Campy Chorus rim brakes and eTap Force AXS with disc. I ride all of them and I also like to wrench on my bikes myself. So I can compare.
Old 05-12-21, 05:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
What my post solved was showing that rims....are discs. Get it? It's a play on words. There's no question to be answered no solutions as to which is better at all because a rim is shaped like a disc...GET IT?
Vinyl records, DVDs, manhole covers, and frisbees are all discs; bicycle rims are hoops or rings.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-21, 05:35 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Too early to tell. We are clearly beyond the "early adopter" stage but not very far into the "mature" stage, by which I mean that they cover the price range from top to bottom. I'd like to see how they behave when they've been neglected, abused, left out all winter, and so forth. I'd like to see what questions beginners ask about maintaining them on BF -- what kinds of problems actually emerge, and how do people cope with them? What's it look like to replace a damaged disc brake on a 20 year old bike?

It's not a slam dunk, but by those criteria rim brakes aren't much to write home about either. There is a huge variation in quality. High quality, dual pivot calipers are snappy, cheap vee brakes with hardened pads are crappy. What are crappy disc brakes like? Brake noise seems like a coin toss. The disc brakes my Diamondback are excellent, on my wife's Surly, horrible.

I'm not a competitive or fast cyclist, just an old pokey commuter and casual rider. I have a lot of friends in more or less the same boat. Virtually all of them, when they've tried a bike with disc brakes, think the difference is night and day. One friend thinks I have a death wish because one of my bikes has rim brakes. But they're comparing new disc brakes on decent quality bikes to the crappy vee brakes with hardened pads and gummed up cables on their old bikes. When they have tried my dual pivots, they agree that they're pretty snappy. But dual pivots don't accommodate big tires. When I point out that disc brakes have slightly better performance in wet weather, they point out that they won't ever ride in wet weather.
That is an excellent point. Even neglected bikes with old caliper, V brakes or cantis will still work, though not as well. And they can usually be brought back to specs by changing out pads, which is something even a novice mechanic can do. Discs, especially lower end discs haven't been around long enough to know how they might perform if neglected for years. The other thing I wonder about is whether the current models will still be supported by someone in the future.
Old 05-12-21, 05:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
If they make disc brakes as light, cheap and easy to maintain as rim ones - then discs all the way. Until then each system has pros and cons.
Wait a sec.. the heavier weight of discs is a plus, right? It makes it easier to get a better workout.
Old 05-12-21, 05:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Do you understand that this is, yet ANOTHER, thread about rim vs disc brakes? Okay.
You get that it's a troll thread, correct? Good.

Good grief people....Okay, I gotta quit trying to converse with people who ride in the Hum Drum Vee.

I'll wonder, in sadness, back to the Fun Vee and you geniuses can finally solve the "problem" of rim/disc once and for all.

Jesus Christ.

You need to stop eating cat vomit, it's ruining your disposition.
Old 05-12-21, 05:59 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Wait a sec.. the heavier weight of discs is a plus, right? It makes it easier to get a better workout.
Absolutely. Also recommended are: a frame made from lead pipes and a rusty chain
Old 05-12-21, 06:15 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
That is an excellent point. Even neglected bikes with old caliper, V brakes or cantis will still work, though not as well. And they can usually be brought back to specs by changing out pads, which is something even a novice mechanic can do. Discs, especially lower end discs haven't been around long enough to know how they might perform if neglected for years. The other thing I wonder about is whether the current models will still be supported by someone in the future.
Unfortunately, that's an un-answered question about the entire "planned obsolescence" trend in bike manufacturing. Fortunately, I can probably ride the same bikes until I die, and so long as there is worldwide demand for parts to repair old bikes, I'll be set.
Old 05-12-21, 06:52 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Disc became standard on pretty much any mid-range MTB 20 years ago.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-12-21, 11:31 PM
Tsarge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All depends on your needs and riding style
Old 05-13-21, 06:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Either choice is better than no bike at all....
Old 05-13-21, 06:43 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread has been circling the bowl for a while.

Thread closed.

Likes For cb400bill: