Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Random squealing noises from new bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-12-21, 07:05 PM
Aagra1207

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One think i noticed in my new evo 105 disc that it makes some squeaking noise randomly which generally comes when you apply break (kind of metal rubbing sound) but here it comes even if i move the bike or sometimes just turn the handle while standing....I dont know what this is but worried if this is some problem. For your reference, I am attaching one audio file. I recorded it on Iphone just to give you idea what kind of sound i am talking about. Please ignore the background people talking sound. If you hear this, you will notice that sound 4 times....please let me know what you think...Sound
Old 05-12-21, 07:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Faint brake rub does that. Some adjustments can address it, but not likely a safety concern.
Old 05-12-21, 07:30 PM
Aagra1207

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
Faint brake rub does that. Some adjustments can address it, but not likely a safety concern.
I also thought the same but then strange part is if I just rotate the from wheel but lifting the bike then I don’t hear that sound🤪
Old 05-12-21, 08:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Aagra1207
I also thought the same but then strange part is if I just rotate the from wheel but lifting the bike then I don’t hear that sound🤪
Not surprising. The bearings in the wheel don't hold it precisely in a plane, and just a fraction of a millimeter nudge can make the pad contact the rotor if it's already razor close. I'd let the brakes bed in for a hundred miles or so.
Old 05-13-21, 05:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Likely the front hub bearing pre-load is too loose, permitting the hub shell to move side-to-side on its axle. The result is that the brake rotor is translating ever so slightly out-of-plane and rubbing on one (or both) of the caliper pads.

Find a local mechanic who can adjust the front hub bearings for you. It's a simple job. If it's a new bike and if it came from a shop, then have them do it.

EDIT: ^ but not the same mechanic who set up the bike originally. He's likely inexperienced and allowed that bike to go to a customer without testing the bearings first under side loads.