Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 06:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Headline: Empty Trek bike shop converted into bike parking area and coffee stand.

Old 07-14-21, 06:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I literally just went out and checked the largest distributor in the country for presta tubes. They have a handful of 1 size - 700x30-43 in a 48mm valve. I'd post a video of all of the "0"'s but I don't want to lose my account.
This was my issue locally. I could a few different sizes in 48mm, but nothing in 60mm.

Old 07-15-21, 06:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I wholesale products made from steel for the construction industry. Here are the prices increases since the first of the year from one of my vendors.
Jan. 1st 11%
March 1st 9-15% depending on the category
April 1st 9%
May 15th 9% 25% on one category
June 28th 18%
If I haven't bought a particular sku from them this year, I can't order it. It's allocated to their customers that are purchasing that sku consistently.

The USA manufactured vendor had a 15% increase in February and a 10% increase in May. They have another increasing coming at the end of this month. Still around 20% more than the imports. If they have something in stock, it's 2 weeks from order placement/confirmation to date of shipment. This is on a item that is prewrapped/skid quantity that only requires a label for shipping. I just tried to order some parts for a tool from them. One part is on backorder through the end of August. I found one on Ebay for double the price. You do what you have to do to keep going.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-15-21, 06:45 AM
seypat

Last month I had a large retailer with lots of branches throughout the USA call me looking for 2 skids of a commonly used item there was a shortage of. That company is large enough to be purchasing direct from manufacturers. I told them to look for the next size up or the next bigger gauge wire. The next day, one of my vendors called me. He said they got a container in with 2 skids of that Item. He gave me first dibs before he offered them to the rest of his customers across the USA. I called the retailer that was looking for them. Told them to call me within 30 minutes if they were interested. If they didn't I would tell the vendor I didn't need them.( I had loaded up on that item 2 months before) They didn't call back. I called the vendor after 30 minutes. They were sold to someone else within 15 minutes after I called him. The retailer then called me back 3 hours later wanting to purchase them after all. "It's too late. They were sold 15 minutes after the deadline I gave you."

I think the point that the OP(and myself also) is trying to make here is this. The current state of things is like a waterfowl swimming on a body of water. You look at them casually and they look relaxed and effortless going along. But under the surface, their legs are really working hard to keep them from going under.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-15-21, 07:12 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Stupid new guy tube question. I've had two flats in a couple of weeks, both rear tire. I think I found the source, a little sliver of wire I must have missed on the 1st flat fix. My local shop is selling me these tubes at about $7/tube, which seems reasonable .
Bike: Salsa Warbird
Tire: Schwalbe Sammy Slick

Do a variety of slightly similar tubes fit this tire? If so, what is the range?
Are there more durable tubes?

I threw my first flat tube out, should I be fixing/reusing them?

Old 07-15-21, 07:20 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
The range is covered on the pic you show of the tube. 32-50c.

32 translates to 1.26" and your tire is 1.35" but tubes can expand and work on tires larger than the tube size.

Last edited by prj71; 07-15-21 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 07:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
Stupid new guy tube question. I've had two flats in a couple of weeks, both rear tire. I think I found the source, a little sliver of wire I must have missed on the 1st flat fix. My local shop is selling me these tubes at about $7/tube, which seems reasonable .
Bike: Salsa Warbird
Tire: Schwalbe Sammy Slick

Do a variety of slightly similar tubes fit this tire? If so, what is the range?
Are there more durable tubes?
yes, there are tubes that you can get that are likely a bit smaller. That seems like a large range on the tubes you have. For some 35 tires I have I bought a small supply of these a couple years back. These however would likely be no more durable than the tubes you were using.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod18906
Old 07-15-21, 08:04 AM
seypat

You could also use a 27" with the same ranges stated in inches. 32 is about equal to 1 1/4".
Old 07-15-21, 08:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I threw my first flat tube out, should I be fixing/reusing them?
Absolutely YES. Buy a REMA patch kit or two, make sure you wait for the glue to dry (this is counter-intuitive but important) before applying the patch.

I wonder if my patched tubes will have resale value soon.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-15-21, 08:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
To make it all worse - there are no containers to get anything over here even if they are able to make tubes and tires at a higher price.
The lack of cargo containers in China is a real thing. Cargo ships have been off loading here and going back to China empty so they don't have to wait to be reloaded with full containers here that are bound for China. So our local exporters here have product sitting in containers at the the docks. Many of them with perishable product in them rotting away.

So while China needs containers to ship, they ought to just come back and get the containers that are sitting here in our ports waiting to go. I'd hope this isn't some of their odd tactics to curb imports to China.
Old 07-15-21, 09:41 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I was just able to scoop up a few Continental Race Light 28 tubes from my LBS...and for only $12CDN. They have about 170 in stock, and they are not on the retail floor along with the other tubes.
Old 07-15-21, 10:27 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Can't find Vittoria Corsa Speed tires at all on Bike24 or other big EU retailers, where they are in stock prices are higher by about 10 Eur. Many other tires not available, assumed there were general issues with supply from Asia.

GP5000 TL still in stock at usual prices, maybe made in Germany helps with availability in the EU. Bought a couple of pairs, got them on my training wheelset.

Switched all the bikes to tubeless, so tube prices I don't know about. Other minor stuff went up in price, though. Noticed 11 speed DA chains are now 45 Eur, last year was buying them under 40 Eur.
Old 07-16-21, 08:30 AM
BobA

Bikes: 1990 Giant Rincon, 2022 Trek FX 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I just bought a used dropbar road bike. I bought used as it has been over 30 years since I last owned a dropbar road bike and I wasn't sure how I would adapt. Tires on it are 700-23, which I recently replaced as their age was unknown and they were splitting. LBS said the tubes were good enough to reuse.

The thing is, many of you are talking about flats as a seemingly regular occurrence, tire damage or tube pops. I'm not sure what I might expect, are those of you 200-500 miles per week folks? I'm at just a few times a week, 8-26 miles each ride, mostly road (I try to avoid poor road surfaces) but some paved trail. As they are Giant S-R2 from 2012, I suspect not tubeless. I'm wondering if I should pickup a few tubes. What would a casual rider expect as far as flats go? Thanks.
Old 07-17-21, 07:30 PM
jaxgtr

doesn't really matter the distance, flats happen. I got one one time after I did some work on the bike and rode it around he neighborhood for a test ride. There was a house having the roof replaced and I ended up getting a roofing nail in my side wall because the company did not sweep the road with their rolling magnet. Several of the neighbors got them too in their car tires. People were less than pleased with this company. I am not at all sure how the nails got that far away from the house honestly, but it is what it is. Several of the neighbors started talk of filing a claim in court against them, but the company ended up paying them for their out of pocket cost....I got $8 for a new tube.

Old 07-19-21, 04:42 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Some are probably aware but there is a pending worldwide rubber shortage. At the wholesale level - we haven't had decent availability of tires and tubes for going on 2 years but now tube prices doubled practically overnight and they are forecast to double again in a few months. Thought I would start a thread where everyone could debate whether this is actually happening (even though I just said it is) and also post links on where tires and tubes can still be found and what prices they are paying, etc.

Also accepted are people who just want to make fun of everyone because "if you switched to tubeless you wouldn't have this problem" … ignoring the fact that most sealants will be affected as well.

This should be fun.
im now glad I stocked up in the beginning of the pandemic. I have enough tubes and tires to last me a couple years and I ride about 7k miles a year.
Old 07-23-21, 07:54 PM
wesley77803

Bikes: 1989 Trek 660, 1985 Trek 620

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobA
Ah, I just bought a used dropbar road bike. I bought used as it has been over 30 years since I last owned a dropbar road bike and I wasn't sure how I would adapt. Tires on it are 700-23, which I recently replaced as their age was unknown and they were splitting. LBS said the tubes were good enough to reuse.

The thing is, many of you are talking about flats as a seemingly regular occurrence, tire damage or tube pops. I'm not sure what I might expect, are those of you 200-500 miles per week folks? I'm at just a few times a week, 8-26 miles each ride, mostly road (I try to avoid poor road surfaces) but some paved trail. As they are Giant S-R2 from 2012, I suspect not tubeless. I'm wondering if I should pickup a few tubes. What would a casual rider expect as far as flats go? Thanks.
The road conditions and tires really make a difference. Went for a ride for the first time in months last weekend. About 6 miles into a 10 mile ride I hit something and put a slit in the tire and tube. Patched it on the road and made sure the patch was over the slit in the tube. The last three blocks home were a challenge as the tire went mostly flat again.

Back in the day (early 90s) on Indiana roads I used to get flats every other week (approx one per 200 miles, Trek Matrix CD-4, 20 mm tires) changed to Kevlar belted tires and the flats went away.

For a single bike I would want at least 3 spare tubes and would carry a spare tube and a patch kit with me on a ride. The other two spares are so I don't have to patch a tube after a flat before the next ride. How many times you patch a tube before you throw it out is a personal matter. I used to start thinking about getting rid of a tube at the fourth patch.
Old 07-23-21, 11:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I got one one time after I did some work on the bike and rode it around he neighborhood for a test ride. There was a house having the roof replaced and I ended up getting a roofing nail in my side wall because the company did not sweep the road with their rolling magnet. Several of the neighbors got them too in their car tires. People were less than pleased with this company. I am not at all sure how the nails got that far away from the house honestly, but it is what it is.
Obviously the roofers got into a firefight with their nail guns, and some nails missed their targets and ended up on the road in your neighborhood.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-24-21, 11:41 AM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by prj71
The range is covered on the pic you show of the tube. 32-50c.

32 translates to 1.26" and your tire is 1.35" but tubes can expand and work on tires larger than the tube size.
I ordered these tubes via Amazon, my local shop was indeed out. They sure look smaller than I had, visually, will they work?

Old 07-24-21, 07:15 PM
jaxgtr

I ordered these tubes via Amazon, my local shop was indeed out. They sure look smaller than I had, visually, will they work?

Well they are are smaller on the large end of he sizing, but they should be fine.

Old 07-25-21, 04:57 AM
Warbird21

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Well they are are smaller on the large end of he sizing, but they should be fine.
Thanks, the significantly smaller size threw me off.
Old 07-29-21, 08:23 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
im now glad I stocked up in the beginning of the pandemic. I have enough tubes and tires to last me a couple years and I ride about 7k miles a year.
At the risk of belaboring the point, now's the time to get good at patching, in case you need to stretch the tubes you have even further...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-29-21, 08:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
At the risk of belaboring the point, now's the time to get good at patching, in case you need to stretch the tubes you have even further...
That's a skill I need to learn. I have a bunch of patch kits, but have never used them. Heck, a year or 2 ago was the first time I've ever had to get my boot out and use it to get home. Was sure glad I had it.
Old 07-29-21, 09:34 AM
prj71

No need to learn how to use a patch kit. Just peel and stick. With these I have no clue why anyone would mess with glue and patches.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pre...s%2C221&sr=8-5
Old 07-29-21, 09:36 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
No need to learn how to use a patch kit. Just peel and stick. With these I have no clue why anyone would mess with glue and patches.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pre...s%2C221&sr=8-5
Vulcanized patches last forever. These have a limited life. That is why.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-29-21, 09:56 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Vulcanized patches last forever. These have a limited life. That is why.
Nah. They work for a long time. Have left them on for years in the past with no adverse effects. After having patched a tire on a ride, I've left one of these patches on the tube. Eventually the tire wore out and had to be replaced and the patch was still working perfectly.

If you use too little glue, don't clean the tire properly, or allow moisture to get in between a vulcanized patch it will not hold. Plus the glue has a shelf life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.