Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano 3-Bolt to 2-Bolt Shoe Adapter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 08:10 AM
Larituk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I recently purchased Shimano SM-SH41 SPD cleat adapters for a pair of Look compatible road shoes that were gathering dust. The price of $16 (for a pair) is much less than a set of new pedals, and there is also the convenience of not having to swap out pedals.

My initial impressions after 3 rides totaling 100 miles, and 10,000 ft of vertical are very favorable. I have experienced no issues with installation or on ride performance. I checked the installation bolts and hardware after each ride and nothing needed further adjustment or indicates signs of premature ware. I plan to keep these shoes in my training rotation and will try them on longer rides. Ideally it would be great if longterm performance was strong enough so that I could consider including and adapting 3-bolt shoes when the time comes to make a new purchase.

The one caveat to note is that I only walk a short distance from the house before starting my ride. Walking is easier than with Look compatible clips, but requires a bit more concentration than with 2-bolt designed shoes. So these would be fine for a Cafe ride, but would not be my choice for rides requiring carrying a bike past obstacles.
Old 07-19-21, 12:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Thanks for the report, did not know these existed! I'm in the midst of a disappointing experiment with SPD SL. If I go back to SPD, at least I may be able to salvage the shoes.

Old 07-19-21, 06:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thanks for the report, did not know these existed! I'm in the midst of a disappointing experiment with SPD SL. If I go back to SPD, at least I may be able to salvage the shoes.

Wow....no clue these existed.....Could have saved some money on new shoes.