Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-25-18, 05:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
good stuff @aaronmcd. How long will it take the bone behind your eye to heal?
Old 10-25-18, 05:22 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
good stuff @aaronmcd. How long will it take the bone behind your eye to heal?
They said 6 weeks, but 3 months for full strength. So not sure what strength level 6 weeks is. It's been 3 weeks now, not sure I wanna wait another 3 before riding. Jogging is hard on the feet. But it's nice to see what's around me slower. I notice a lot more on foot compared to while riding!
Old 10-25-18, 05:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

nice
Old 10-25-18, 05:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Great news Aaron.
Old 10-25-18, 05:51 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
@AaronCad I'm surprised you can do all that with a broken bone behind your eye. Hope it heals up quickly.
Old 10-25-18, 09:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Rode last night on the trainer and was able to do low z2 watts. Was happy. No issues, got off the trainer nice and dainty, stretched lightly. Figure I'm on the up and up.

Drive to Dunkin cuz donuts are life, knee hurt from pivoting back and forth between brake and accelerator, felt a ton of pain upper inside tip of the knee cap after getting out of the car, burned like a mother ****er all night, generally feels wtf today though much less pain. In addition to the side of kneecap weirdness it feels weirdly disconnected under the knee on that fleshy bit between the knee cap and the shin. I'm *hoping* it is due to general MCL wtfness because I don't want to be dealing with that + a meniscus thing. All for a ****ing donut!!! It wasn't even glazed or frosted!

The joint is stable at least so it can't be thaaaaaat bad. Will see what the doc says, hopefully they don't send me to the glue factory.

Aaron you're hardcore! What does a broken bone in your face even feel like?!
Old 10-26-18, 05:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Aaron, keep hitting the gym. The more you go, the less you'll suffer from DOMS.
Old 10-26-18, 09:31 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Rode last night on the trainer and was able to do low z2 watts. Was happy. No issues, got off the trainer nice and dainty, stretched lightly. Figure I'm on the up and up.

Drive to Dunkin cuz donuts are life, knee hurt from pivoting back and forth between brake and accelerator, felt a ton of pain upper inside tip of the knee cap after getting out of the car, burned like a mother ****er all night, generally feels wtf today though much less pain. In addition to the side of kneecap weirdness it feels weirdly disconnected under the knee on that fleshy bit between the knee cap and the shin. I'm *hoping* it is due to general MCL wtfness because I don't want to be dealing with that + a meniscus thing. All for a ****ing donut!!! It wasn't even glazed or frosted!

The joint is stable at least so it can't be thaaaaaat bad. Will see what the doc says, hopefully they don't send me to the glue factory.

Aaron you're hardcore! What does a broken bone in your face even feel like?!
It is going to get better...stay positive. Cyclists going into the gym for leg strength training is like walking into a mine field. Even though, we have big legs and strong quads, the rest is pretty weak and we have poor lateral soft tissue strength. Not a doc, I just ride these things but more than likely you tweaked some soft tissue. And any force, even your z2 on the trainer is going to tweak that injured soft tissue again and you will not get immediate pain response. Hence, it feels great on the trainer but after you get off, it swells up a bit and then boom it f's up your donut run. I have been there done that too many times. One thing to do is know that it is going to swell after the trainer and keep the force way low and then ice afterwords. Have the donuts delivered. Once again, it is going to get better.
Old 10-26-18, 09:45 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Wow, all you injured people, heal up.

I did a JRA with a friend yesterday on the road bike and it was swell. Just two of us, pretty well matched physiologically and it’s was so nice to ride hard-ish with someone and not have anyone feel crushed or bored. Coffee after, so the whole thing totally hit the spot. We rode 22 miles and were done by 6am.

Tomorrow I’m taking my young Dachshund to an Earthdog event, trying to decide if we should consider breeding her or not. Which is something on offer from her breeder, who would do everything and we’d just miss our dog while she was staying with the breeder having her pups. If she’s got great hunting instincts I might go for it, breeding her, because she’s got a lovely, easy personality. She’s in heat now though so going to a hyped up terrier/doxie event should be interesting. So: not sure I’ll ride tomorrow, maybe if I get home fairly early.

Sunday... mountain bike or road? Trying to decide. I’m kind of hankering for a group road ride, need to see who’s doing what on Sunday.
Old 10-26-18, 09:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Out of town for work. Fit in a couple runs, some time on the crap recumbent at the hotel, and hit up a local bike shop's spin class.

I didn't realize people use "gym" time to socialize, and still be lazy.

Nobody in that class sweat a single drop. I guess any workout is what you put into it. I had my usual lake of sweat on the floor under me when done.

Ability levels in something like that vary from "off the couch" to "wannabe racer boy", but still. C'mon. You took the time to be there, do something.

I'd be an ******* of a spin class leader. I'd be making sure I see sweat and some pain or anxiety on some faces.

"Debra! John! We're halfway through class and you're chatting and not sweating! I'm coming to your bike for 5 minutes to work the resistance for you!"
Old 10-26-18, 05:19 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went out and pedaled as hard as I could for 20 minutes. It's easy to forget how bad that hurts, and getting upsetting work news minutes before rolling out probably didn't help with the mental side. Pushed out 407w and did an extra minute because I started hitting the lap button at especially painful moments and lost count.

That number would be awesome if I weren't corpulent.
Old 10-26-18, 06:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

After a few days off, I was back at it on Fiesta Island and did the equivalent of a leg opener with low cadence work. Then I took a nap.
Old 10-26-18, 06:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Hermes
It is going to get better...stay positive. Cyclists going into the gym for leg strength training is like walking into a mine field. Even though, we have big legs and strong quads, the rest is pretty weak and we have poor lateral soft tissue strength. Not a doc, I just ride these things but more than likely you tweaked some soft tissue. And any force, even your z2 on the trainer is going to tweak that injured soft tissue again and you will not get immediate pain response. Hence, it feels great on the trainer but after you get off, it swells up a bit and then boom it f's up your donut run. I have been there done that too many times. One thing to do is know that it is going to swell after the trainer and keep the force way low and then ice afterwords. Have the donuts delivered. Once again, it is going to get better.
Yeah, it's definitely healing up, and after the various injuries I've had the past couple of seasons I know I'll be back to my best after a month or two. It's giving me a lot of time to study for the GRE at least!
Old 10-26-18, 09:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

You going back from some graduate level CS stuff??
Old 10-26-18, 09:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by TMonk
You going back from some graduate level CS stuff??
Nope! Want a masters in international affairs. Was a philosophy/intl relations student in college. Without getting too political, the current global situation has rekindled a desire to be involved in public policy.
Old 10-26-18, 10:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Cool man, good on ya, and good luck!

Over here I'm going to ride MTB for a couple hrs tomorrow, then shoot for 6-7 on Sunday, bracketed around a team road ride
Old 10-27-18, 05:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Nope! Want a masters in international affairs. Was a philosophy/intl relations student in college. Without getting too political, the current global situation has rekindled a desire to be involved in public policy.
global situation meaning masters track?
Old 10-27-18, 08:49 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

haha yes!
Old 10-27-18, 09:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Hey, I knew we needed someone that spoke TKP. We lost gc as an interpreter. TKP is worse that Basque.
Old 10-27-18, 11:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I go for general atmosphere more than actual communication. Think of me as a dollar store Cormac McCarthy, fueled by a public education and years of hypoxia.

but for real, I am trying to get in to grad school for an MIA focusing on public policy stuff. It's an actual GRE, not metaphorical!

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 10-27-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 11:28 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Finally saw a dr about my knee. X-rays were inconclusive and the ultra sound didn't show much. All he could see was my patellar tendon was slightly larger and darker in the middle. He thinks it could be just inflammation, at worst a small tear. I skipped a day of squats in the gym and have taken two days of nothing this week. He said try PT if I want, but I think I'm just going to rest it a bit more. Day by day it seems to be getting better until I do something dumb like try to run.

Going to try to mtb tomorrow with a teammate up in the mountains. Will wear my knee pads just in case.

Sold my road bike today, so I'm without for now. Still have my TT bike for fast days and I'm replacing the road bike with a dream gravel / adventure rig I've been lusting after for two years. Hopefully this will be a lifetime, do it all build. I'll post pics once I get it built up but I'm so excited to get this build done. Splurged on some real flashy parts. When road season gets closer I'll look at new road bikes. For now I'll put the tt bike on the trainer!
Old 10-28-18, 03:19 AM
topflightpro

Did the doctor say you could ride on it? If it's swollen or sore give it time to heal. LOTS of time. Soft tissue injuries are the worst. They feel better but not anywhere near healed, and you go out to do something and aggravate it more. I partially tore my patella more than 6 years ago. It took more than a year before I could start training again - you're younger than I was then, so maybe it will heal faster. Even now, it's still an issue. I suggest you give it a couple of weeks to heal and then see how things feel.
Old 10-28-18, 08:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Did the doctor say you could ride on it? If it's swollen or sore give it time to heal. LOTS of time. Soft tissue injuries are the worst. They feel better but not anywhere near healed, and you go out to do something and aggravate it more. I partially tore my patella more than 6 years ago. It took more than a year before I could start training again - you're younger than I was then, so maybe it will heal faster. Even now, it's still an issue. I suggest you give it a couple of weeks to heal and then see how things feel.
I just got over a soft tissue injury that took 1.5 years to heal. In 2011, I fell off rollers and landed on my elbow. I went to a sports doc and he said the elbow was fine but the bruised soft tissue would take 2 years to heal.

My goal in seeing a doc is to get to PT. I find that PT is helpful figuring out what is exactly the problem and providing advice and a recovery plan. PT has some tricks to expedite healing like a cold laser, ultra sound and massage. Plus I always learn a lot from the therapists.
Old 10-28-18, 11:32 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Hermes
My goal in seeing a doc is to get to PT. I find that PT is helpful figuring out what is exactly the problem and providing advice and a recovery plan. PT has some tricks to expedite healing like a cold laser, ultra sound and massage. Plus I always learn a lot from the therapists.
Yes. And I've even been able to skip the doctor for some PT stuff, particularly back-related issues.
Old 10-28-18, 12:48 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Went out on the mountain bike today for a gravel climbing ride with a couple of friends. Basically ride 8 miles up a mountain and turn around and ride back down. Two guys I used to ride with all the time but haven’t seen for months, it was really good to see them. Two days rest going in, so I felt pretty strong too. Including riding from home to get to the dirt, it was 22 miles and 3000 ft climbing, a nice stretch of the legs. Nice to easily hang with the men, they’ve been putting in big volume miles all summer and I wasn’t sure where they’d be relative to me but it was a really solid, compatible ride.

I didn’t ride yesterday because I took my little dachshund to an Earthdog competition which she did great in for a clueless newby. I could see kind of getting into that, it was cool to see her hunting instincts click and watch her do her thing. Oh yeah and her breeder has been floating the idea of breeding her which after seeing her performance yesterday, I’m inclined to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.