Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Ofmega crankset?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-07-20, 07:19 PM
mcoate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Ofmega's have a good classic look to them, how are they? Any other recommendations similar, not looking to get too crazy on price.
Old 05-07-20, 07:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
The Avocet cranksets of the day were made by Ofmrga. I bought the triple, thinking like you; good looks, good price. Early on I downshifted to the inner ring to start a steep grade. The long bolts in sleeves for the inner ring broke, I stalled and fell to the low side. Avocet sent me new bolts and told me the originals weren't tight enough, Maybe. That was the days before torque wrenches wrere in bike mechanics' toolchest. But it was also year one of that bike and I;d been riding the erector set TAs for years with no issues at all.

Retired that crankset with quite a lot of miles. 25,000? Pulled it out for temporary use on a bike I had just set up. Broke the crank across the pedal threads coming out of the saddle to top a small rise. (This time no big deal. Stepped down on the road, sat down, braked to a stop, dismounted and couldn't figure out what the clunky feeling of my right shoe was, Pedal still strapped on! This time I was 1/2 mile uphill from my destination; a gathering of friends.

So, long story short - don't trust them with more than you are willing to lose. (I've heard similar stories. It is mot just me.)

Ben
Old 05-07-20, 07:50 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(I've heard similar stories. It is mot just me.)
I've got one- it's very nice- but I've heard the same stories- well- the breaking across the pedal threads.

As I've heard, it's one of the very lightest triple cranks ever- and where the weight was saved is part of what gives the arms such a graceful shape.

As far as the gearing- I'm not a fan of the 144 BCD- it really limits that middle ring- and for a triple... well...

If you're planning on looking for one- find one with the specific Avocet/Ofmega spindle/BB. I understand the Avocet/Ofmega uses a relatively proprietary taper- and some people have experienced problems with the crank staying seated properly.

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-07-20, 08:16 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, long story short - don't trust them with more than you are willing to lose. (I've heard similar stories. It is mot just me.)

Ben
Ok thanks, that's helpful to know
Old 05-07-20, 09:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Ofmega Mistral crankset

One of the prettiest
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-07-20, 10:17 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
One of the prettiest
I really like the stamped Competizone ones as well
Old 05-08-20, 02:15 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoate
The Ofmega's have a good classic look to them, how are they? Any other recommendations similar, not looking to get too crazy on price.
Bianchi used them a lot in the ‘80s and yes these days they have a nice classic look to them.

However they used a unique taper on the spindle, so unless the seller is including a good condition bottom bracket, or you have a line on one I’d be cautious

read through this. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-08-20, 02:41 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
The Avocet cranksets of the day were made by Ofmrga. I bought the triple, thinking like you; good looks, good price. Early on I downshifted to the inner ring to start a steep grade. The long bolts in sleeves for the inner ring broke, I stalled and fell to the low side. Avocet sent me new bolts and told me the originals weren't tight enough, Maybe. That was the days before torque wrenches wrere in bike mechanics' toolchest. But it was also year one of that bike and I;d been riding the erector set TAs for years with no issues at all.

Retired that crankset with quite a lot of miles. 25,000? Pulled it out for temporary use on a bike I had just set up. Broke the crank across the pedal threads coming out of the saddle to top a small rise. (This time no big deal. Stepped down on the road, sat down, braked to a stop, dismounted and couldn't figure out what the clunky feeling of my right shoe was, Pedal still strapped on! This time I was 1/2 mile uphill from my destination; a gathering of friends.

Ben
Campy had their own problems with their Record cranksets developing cracks at the spider crank arm junctions.
Also at the pedal holes. Both thought to be caused by stress risers (Sharp edges and corners) on the cranksets. So cracking also happened with the best of them. Same goes with early model 630 Mavic Cranksets.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 05-08-20, 08:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
If you're planning on looking for one- find one with the specific Avocet/Ofmega spindle/BB. I understand the Avocet/Ofmega uses a relatively proprietary taper- and some people have experienced problems with the crank staying seated properly.
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
However they used a unique taper on the spindle, so unless the seller is including a good condition bottom bracket, or you have a line on one I’d be cautious

Ofmega used a narrower than standard spindle up until about 1980. After that, they adopted the dimensions that became the ISO standard.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-08-20, 08:39 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 127 Posts
Anyone have a way to tell if an ofmega/avocet crank has a proprietary or ISO taper?
Old 05-08-20, 09:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Campy had their own problems with their Record cranksets developing cracks at the spider crank arm junctions.
Also at the pedal holes. Both thought to be caused by stress risers (Sharp edges and corners) on the cranksets. So cracking also happened with the best of them. Same goes with early model 630 Mavic Cranksets.
Oh yeah. I got to watch two Campy cranks break across the pedal threads in my racing days. Both times from the perspective of the guy on his wheel. (Snuck around both times. Don't know how but I REALLY like super fast steering race bikes!) The Japanese went to rolled threads that were cursed by the mechanics of the day because to mix with the revered Campagnolo, you had to either re-tap the Japanese part or force the fit, (Now, once that is forced a first time, the parts screw together and apart nicely thereafter.) But the Japanese rolled threads were metallurgically right and rarely cracked.

But back to Campy and Avocet. We all knew much of the the Campy equipment when I was racing had many miles of use by very strong riders because that was what there was, Not a lot of choices, (And nobody who was anybody rode Japanese. Just wasn't done.) For a lot of us, money was tight and Campy expensive. Replacing those cranks just because you crashed? Not happening. (Both cranks I witnessed break were ridden by riders considerably bigger than me. And back to Avocet. I weighed 155 in those days, was/is long and skinny and you can pack all my fast twitch muscles in Shaquille O'Neal's big toe. I bought the cranks new. Rode them from ~1982 - '95; maybe 15,000 miles. (A little less than I said in my first post. Memories are coming back.)

Yes, I would have also broken Campy NR the same way because I would have ridden them until they broke, But it would take me 40,000 miles or more to break them. And the much cheaper Japanese pedals, many of which I have ridden to their grave? Haven't broken one yet. (They are officially "dead" when the crank arm is worn to 75% of original from road grit and winter shoes. Or the taper is shot. Or the chainring boltholes elongated. When it comes to the pedal threads, the cheap OEM SRs, Suginos and Shimanos are far more reliable than the classic NRs.)

Ben
Old 05-08-20, 10:16 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I used Avocet cranks for a while BITD. They were sort of a weight weenie crank. Lighter than the competitors. I did break one, right in the middle of the left arm. The second set lasted for years and I never had a problem. Old cranks broke sometimes. It's a crapshoot. I learned my lesson after the first broken crankarm. Always inspect your crankarms for cracks on a regular basis. If you do this you won't get a nasty surprise.

Best way to check the taper is to put it on a BB spindle. FWIW I've never actually seen the proprietary non standard taper that is supposed to exist. Avocet cranks weren't available until 1979. It would not surprise me if all of them produced with the Avocet brand were the same and had standard tapers. My cousin worked for Avocet BITD. I'd ask but he's kind of a jerk and we no longer are in touch. Ofmega branded would have been rare. They'd only come in as OEM cranks on Italian bikes.

WRT Campy cranks, you see more cracked ones because that is the crank that nearly all racers used. They are the cranks that got zillions of miles put on them. That used campy crank quite likely has 50,000 or more miles on it. That used SR/Sugino or whatever almost certainly did not. People that did the big miles bought campy because other brands did not hold up, generally speaking.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 05-08-20, 10:27 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Back in day of the 1049 and 1049/a crank Campagnolo had a real simple policy. It breaks, we replace it. Didn’t matter if part had been raced, didn’t matter if part had been crashed. No questions, no problems. Those of you who never availed yourself of this policy will have a different view of Campy than those of us who knew.

Second time I broke a crank the exchange was made direct with Othon. I handed him a broken left crank, he handed me a complete crankset. Rings, bolts, BB, the whole thing. “But Othon, only the one arm broke.” Othon replied “Tullio loves you. You ride your bike so much you break cranks. You are the best advertisement Tullio could ever dream of. Take the cranks.” This of course rasped through the trach’ hole together with wreaths of Pall Mall smoke.

Now do you understand brand loyalty?
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 05-08-20, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Back in day of the 1049 and 1049/a crank Campagnolo had a real simple policy. It breaks, we replace it. Didn’t matter if part had been raced, didn’t matter if part had been crashed. No questions, no problems. Those of you who never availed yourself of this policy will have a different view of Campy than those of us who knew.

Second time I broke a crank the exchange was made direct with Othon. I handed him a broken left crank, he handed me a complete crankset. Rings, bolts, BB, the whole thing. “But Othon, only the one arm broke.” Othon replied “Tullio loves you. You ride your bike so much you break cranks. You are the best advertisement Tullio could ever dream of. Take the cranks.” This of course rasped through the trach’ hole together with wreaths of Pall Mall smoke.

Now do you understand brand loyalty?
I broke two NR track hub flanges riding them year 'round on commuters. Bot times, received complete new hubs, no questions asked. But with hubs, it is more of a mixed blessing. The full rebuild was on me.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-08-20, 11:16 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Bianchi used them a lot in the ‘80s and yes these days they have a nice classic look to them.

note the taper varies and there is no definitive guide. some are unique, some are ISO, some require an asymmetrical spindle like campy so getting the correct BB can be a huge pain (i got lucky and got one from Bianchigirll and ronald mcdonald house benefited to this day)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-08-20, 11:57 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
BITD we called Avocet, Avoshid. Of course, we also called Shimano, Shidmano, so there's that.

I thought some of the Ofmega cranks were nice looking but I bought only Mavic, Nuovo/Super Record or Dura Ace. Because I have class.
Obviously the d was pronounced t... Don't forget Gypme. I'm sure that there's some others I've forgotten.

We called Dura Ace Duracchi in my neck of the woods. It wasn't much respected prior to 7400.
Old 05-08-20, 01:02 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
note the taper varies and there is no definitive guide. some are unique, some are ISO, some require an asymmetrical spindle like campy so getting the correct BB can be a huge pain...
Valid observations! If anyone is bored enough, and had the time to spare, here’s some long winded observations of my own which may or may not prove helpful to others who have banged their head against the wall around the subject...

I purchased a Super Competizione for use with an Italian bottom bracket shell. This was before I realized that determining which bb to use would be such a pain in the butt.

In my quest to figure exactly which bb to to use, I’ve only been able to discover that information is scarce, and unclear in its vagueness. Here’s what I’ve found:

Ofmega is known to have used a uniquely proprietary taper as previously mentioned. This taper is said to be skinnier than other tapers, and apparently attributed to “earlier” Ofmega cranks. The problem here is that there seems to be no guiding factors that identify exactly what “earlier” means, or how to differentiate “early,” from “late” cranks.

Also, if we assume that the later Ofmega cranks which utilize a more common Campy NR/SR style taper are post ‘78, it seems that the spindle length needed for a Competizione is longer than that of its Campy counterpart. According to Velobase, a Super Competizione spindle for an Italian bb shell is 119.5mm, while a Campy NR/SR would take a 115mm spindle.

Making the challenge greater, is the relative scarcity, and expense of Ofmega bottom brackets to experiment with. Most I’ve found over a long search, are on eBay from overseas sellers. I’ve located a couple in the 119.5mm length, but usually the longest spindles available are 118mm. I’ve been scared to buy any of them since they’re expensive, and there’s is no way of knowing which taper I’d be ending up with.

I’m assuming my crank to be “later” Ofmega, since the Super Competizione group was available late 70’s to early 80’s. That said..,

My solution? I’m not entirely sure it’s a problem solver yet, as I haven’t finished the test fit, but I’m taking a gamble on a Dura Ace 7400 bb. The 7400 has Shimano’s “low profile JIS” taper. It’s designed for use with Campy NR/SR cranks. It’s a short spindle at 70-w-113mm, but for whatever reason, it seems to be working. Final torquing of the fixing bolts, and chainline adjustment if needed, will will be the ‘make it or break it’ revelation of course. I’ll be thrilled if it works, and if it doesn’t, I’ll be shelving the crank for something more straight forward.

Here’s the Super Competizione seated tight to an Italian 7400 spindle, but not yet torqued all the way. I predict when finally torqued, the crank will move another millimeter or so inward towards the chainstay. We’ll see how it goes:

Last edited by deux jambes; 05-08-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 02:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Could someone give a correct pronunciation of Ofmega? I've always wondered. My brother had a 1974 Vega that we put an 8-9" Glass Pak on. It had a sweet sound!

So, is it Off-Mega like Chevy Vega or something else?

Last edited by seypat; 05-08-20 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-08-20, 02:59 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
One of the prettiest
Shhhh. I'm still mad that I passed on a nice set on ebay a few years ago. Seems like the prices have gone up lately.

Originally Posted by seypat
Could someone give a correct pronunciation of Ofmega? I've always wondered. My brother had a 1974 Vega that we put an 8-9" Glass Pak on. It had a sweet sound!
Pretty much like "off-mega", but you have to pronounce the O and the A in the Italian way. Hard to explain. The final a is more of an "ah" sound than an american "uh" sound.
Old 05-08-20, 03:01 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

I have always assumed it's 'Ahv-Mega'
Old 05-08-20, 07:24 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I have heard it more like "OAF-mega"...by people I assumed were familiar with proper Italian pronunciation
Old 05-09-20, 06:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Anyone have a way to tell if an ofmega/avocet crank has a proprietary or ISO taper?
Test fit on an ISO spindle. If the arm sits too far out on the taper, it's likely the old-style Ofmega taper. There should only be 3-4mm between the end of the spindle and the base of the extractor hole.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-09-20, 06:50 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
What was the intention behind the smaller taper? To be proprietary? Or was there some performance benefit (however small or misconceived)?
Old 05-09-20, 10:01 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
These were also Ofmega.

Brent
Old 05-09-20, 10:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I have heard it more like "OAF-mega"...by people I assumed were familiar with proper Italian pronunciation
I've studied Italian in a singing context, so I can pronounce it (and other languages) without understanding most of it. It is oaf-mega but I don't know which syllable gets the emphasis. I assume the second syllable but I could be wrong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.