Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Better grips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 10:22 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Better grips?

The grips on my Trek Verve2 are functional. My main complaint is that they slip/turn on the bar easily. Is there such a thing as a grip that doesn't do this? Ideally if there was a grip that doesn't slip and was even more comfortable it would be ideal.
Old 10-12-20, 10:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Tons of companies make lock-on grips that use allen bolts to secure the grip to the bar; any local or online bike shop will carry them. They work great, but because they have a stiff inner core, I don't find them to be as comfortable as non-locking grips.

With proper installation, non-locking grips shouldn't twist. Swish some rubbing alcohol inside the grip, and slip them onto your bars. Once on, you can shoot some compressed air between the grip and the bar or use a hair dryer to accelerate the evaporation. Otherwise, wait a day and they should be solid.

I'm using ESI silicone grips these days, and using the method just described, they really stay on the bars, to the point where it's a bit of a pain to take them off!

Hope this helps!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-12-20, 11:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,679 Times in 4,075 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
The grips on my Trek Verve2 are functional. My main complaint is that they slip/turn on the bar easily. Is there such a thing as a grip that doesn't do this? Ideally if there was a grip that doesn't slip and was even more comfortable it would be ideal.
Lockon grips are really nice.

But if you want to stabilize existing grips you can remove the grips, spray some hairspray (aquanet extra super is good stuff) in a grip and slide it onto the bar quickly, let sit for a couple hours. Some guys even go nuts and use spray paint. On the milder side, sometimes removing the grips, cleaning the bar with rubbing alcohol, then pouring a little rubbing alcohol into the grips and quickly pushing them on the bar and letting them sit for a while will sometimes be enough to make them stick.
Old 10-13-20, 08:57 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
I use Ergon grips on all my flat-bar bikes - huge improvement over any other grips I've used.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ergon-42410...4-135149aa9081
Old 10-13-20, 09:18 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
+1 for the Ergon grips.
Old 10-13-20, 10:40 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Hair spray.
Old 10-13-20, 12:00 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve seen recommendations for using hair spray but I’ve always used cheap isopropyl alcohol and it’s worked so well I’ve never needed to try the hairspray.

Also, since you have bars with only a small sweep back, I’d give another nod to those excellent Ergon grips. That’s exactly what they are made for.

I use bars with a lot of sweep and mainly use the grips for riding out of the saddle including braking, so I just need a grip that is grippy and a has a bit of cushion. The Oury mtn bike grips are perfect for that.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-13-20, 08:42 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
+ 3 for the Ergon grips, mine are Ergon GP3's and have a small built in bar end, best grips I've ever had!
Likes For trainchaser:
Old 10-13-20, 11:19 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Trocadile
I use Ergon grips on all my flat-bar bikes - huge improvement over any other grips I've used.
Looks interesting. Will it accommodate a Cat Eye mirror that goes into the end of the bar? That's what I currently use. You have to be able to drill a hole in the end of the grip.
Old 10-14-20, 04:50 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Looks interesting. Will it accommodate a Cat Eye mirror that goes into the end of the bar? That's what I currently use. You have to be able to drill a hole in the end of the grip.
No need to drill. Ergons have a separate piece at the end which can either be inserted into the bar as a cap, or left out to leave the bar end open.
Likes For Trocadile:
Old 10-14-20, 05:46 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I'm just here to say if you want to try Ergons try the cheap version first their "comfort" is very biased to one hand position.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-14-20, 09:17 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I'm just here to say if you want to try Ergons try the cheap version first their "comfort" is very biased to one hand position.
...not if you get the versions with bar ends, I've found four different hand positions on mine...
Likes For trainchaser:
Old 10-14-20, 11:57 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
...not if you get the versions with bar ends, I've found four different hand positions on mine...
Bar ends give you another hand position not a different one on the grip itself
Old 10-15-20, 03:08 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
my ergons give me several hand positions.
Old 10-15-20, 05:34 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I used to use Ergon grips, but switched to the Specialized equivalent. I find the Specialized grips very slightly softer rubber, and kinder to my hands.
Old 10-16-20, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Another vote for Ergon grips, the real ones not the various knockoffs out there. I do not recommend trying cheaper grips to see if you like Ergons I recommend trying Ergons to see if you like Ergons.

The one thing with Ergon grips that I recommend is trying them in different positions. The owner of my shop loves to put them at a fairly extreme upward angle and it works quite well for him and his CTS. Experiment and you will find the right spot. Having tried a lot of different grips on different bikes I use Ergons exclusively on any flat/alt bar bikes I own and wouldn't do anything else. I like the support they give my hands and the better blood flow they provide to prevent numbness and discomfort.

If you have a swept back bar, I highly recommend using the GC1 version of the grips as they are designed for the more swept back bars to keep your hands in a more natural position.

RockBros is cheap knockoff stuff (even the name is knocked off from Crank Brothers) and the fact they needed to be modified to make them to make them comfortable is a good sign to avoid. ESI is probably the grip you are looking for in their Fit line (probably CR), they are higher quality and made right here in America.
Old 10-18-20, 03:56 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Trocadile
Ordered a set of the Ergons - curious to see what they're like.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 10-18-20 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For MyRedTrek:
Old 10-19-20, 03:28 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I used ESI Grips chunky for a few years. Really comfortable and they don't slip.

I switched to Aliexpress Rockbros silicone grips as they're as comfortable, don't slip, they're cheaper, and I've discovered they're also more durable.
Old 10-19-20, 06:19 AM
jack1234567

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Another vote for Ergon grips, the real ones not the various knockoffs out there. I do not recommend trying cheaper grips to see if you like Ergons I recommend trying Ergons to see if you like Ergons.

The one thing with Ergon grips that I recommend is trying them in different positions. The owner of my shop loves to put them at a fairly extreme upward angle and it works quite well for him and his CTS. Experiment and you will find the right spot. Having tried a lot of different grips on different bikes I use Ergons exclusively on any flat/alt bar bikes I own and wouldn't do anything else. I like the support they give my hands and the better blood flow they provide to prevent numbness and discomfort.

If you have a swept back bar, I highly recommend using the GC1 version of the grips as they are designed for the more swept back bars to keep your hands in a more natural position.

RockBros is cheap knockoff stuff (even the name is knocked off from Crank Brothers) and the fact they needed to be modified to make them to make them comfortable is a good sign to avoid. ESI is probably the grip you are looking for in their Fit line (probably CR), they are higher quality and made right here in America.
Thanks for sharing
Likes For jack1234567:
Old 10-20-20, 03:49 AM
DennySporter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ESI Chunky. BEST FOR: BUDGET. i like!
Old 10-20-20, 08:28 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Like I said earlier, I have had both Specialized and Ergon, and find the Specialized far more comfortable. I have now switched out all of my Ergons for the Body Geometry ones, and like them a whole lot more. I gave the old ones to the neighborhood kids who needed grips. Win-win!

Bonus on the Specialized grips is they only cost $25, and even come in colors!

Likes For Wanderer:
Old 10-22-20, 04:47 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I saw that - those red ones would be a nice match for my Trek.
Old 10-22-20, 05:05 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I saw that - those red ones would be a nice match for my Trek.
The ESI grips come in 11 different colors, at least 3 different thickness and can even be ordered in 2 and 3 color combinations. I have the Extra Chunky on several bikes and really like them. They can be a bit of a bear to put on but they stay put and they are thicker than you’ll get with lock on grips.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-22-20, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Like I said earlier, I have had both Specialized and Ergon, and find the Specialized far more comfortable. I have now switched out all of my Ergons for the Body Geometry ones, and like them a whole lot more. I gave the old ones to the neighborhood kids who needed grips. Win-win!

I wish you had been my neighbor shoot I would happily trade Specialized grips for Ergons all day every day. Though mine are all black on black usually or occasionally the brown.
Old 10-25-20, 08:14 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
As a few others mentioned, clean & reinstall. My pops got me on just using dawn dishsoap back in my bmx days and it’d work fine till I dumped the bike enough times for dirt to work its way up in them again. Rinse ‘n repeat till the grips wore through.

I tried those Ergons for a week or so on a bike I built for a friend. They were neat. Since growing up into road bikes, I’m perfectly happy just using Newbaum’s cloth tape on my commute weapons and have fizik tape on one just because I like how it looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.