Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cino Rigs 2021

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino Rigs 2021

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 10:41 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
^ there are plenty of clincher choices in 28mm. Durability should take precedence over weight / suppleness.
The rock/gravel tend to be rough in this neck of the woods. At your weight, I'd pump them up hard to avoid pinch flats but keep in mind, this increases the risk to cut sidewalls.
Bring tire boot material, extra tubes (at least 2) and a patch kit. Some folks pack an extra tire. You will likely get at least one flat over the weekend.

Carrying the extras will come in handy even if you don't need 'em... you can be someone else's hero in a pinch :-)
Old 07-15-21, 10:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you set up tubeless on Pacenti Brevet rims, no one may be the wiser...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-21, 11:12 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
I’d take a serious look at Panaracer GK 32’s. On older narrow (but with hooks) rims, they’ll wind up somewhere around 30-31mm.
Vittoria Graphene 30’s are another possibility but not sure they would be tough enough for Cino gravel.
Old 07-15-21, 11:24 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm still considering this. All you pro's at it, talk to me about tires for the Opus. 700 x 30 true size will fit for sure. What would you run? I'm finding limited options when not going larger than 30mm. These will be old rims also so not running tubeless. I'm riding at around 185 lbs right now.
no a pro but got 28mm GK, I could fit a 30 but not a 32 on the team miyata

another would be the Vittoria Corsa Control clincher in 30mm I have a 30mm Vitorria corsa control tubular on my non cino team miyata so if you have a tubular wheel set that might be an option also.

the corsa controls are positioned as the pave replacment and are supposed to be a little tougher than than the corsa g

I am aiming at a cino weight of 230 to 235 (242.2 today) so will be pumping up most anything i ride

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-15-21, 12:06 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
that bike is interesting. There was a fellow out of Hawaii selling on LA Craigslist a Cinelli that looked original paint but had waterbottle and shifter bosses like this bike. The waterbottle points with the stress relievers were not seen before by me, this makes the second bike I have seen with, so indeed set that to the original file.
my approx ‘71 only has brazed on bottom bracket and chainstay guides.
don’t like clamp on waterbottle cages.
Based on observations I've made at Eroica and the information on this timeline Velo-Retro: Cinelli Timeline, 1974 is the first year with water bottle braze-ons. Note that I am confident in the age of this bike since it was given to me by the original owner who bought it in Naples, Italy.
Old 07-15-21, 09:17 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm still considering this. All you pro's at it, talk to me about tires for the Opus. 700 x 30 true size will fit for sure. What would you run? I'm finding limited options when not going larger than 30mm. These will be old rims also so not running tubeless. I'm riding at around 185 lbs right now.
A 32 Panaracer Pasela will measure right at 30mm on older rims. I've had great luck with them.
Old 07-15-21, 09:29 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts

I'll be bringing the 1961 Allegro.

Like me, it's old and scarred but we both cherish our visions of grandeur. I'm hoping for a top five finish in the "age-plus-gear inches" metric, more appropriately known as the "foolishness factor."

You will note from the photo I have yet to find the right vintage-look water bottle or some appropriate Weinmann brake lever hoods. Anyone able to help me out here?

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 07-15-21, 10:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Based on observations I've made at Eroica and the information on this timeline Velo-Retro: Cinelli Timeline, 1974 is the first year with water bottle braze-ons. Note that I am confident in the age of this bike since it was given to me by the original owner who bought it in Naples, Italy.
the style of the bottle mount reinforcements caught my eye. Normally I recall this stuff, pretty uncommon for the Italians as a group to go that way. I will call them original, it was on another bike seen prior that they looked... odd.
Old 07-16-21, 10:44 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

I’ll be taking 2 bikes to Cino this year.

Not quite as Heroic as some of the other bikes I've used at Cino in the past, I’ll put rat traps on to satisfy the spirit of Cino and ride the Holland.

New Shoes for the Holland by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

…and bringing the Singer for Soup_Please to ride since he's flying in from Tucson for the weekend....

On loan to Scott for Cino by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 07-16-21, 11:36 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
…and bringing the Singer for Soup_Please to ride since he's flying in from Tucson for the weekend....

Did you repaint the Singer? I seem to recall it being all light green when I saw it at the Neal Lerner Invitational Ride back in 2017.
Old 07-16-21, 12:02 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts
You're a very generous man @northbend!
Brent
Old 07-16-21, 12:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Make sure you put the corncob on the Singer for Scott!

Not that he’d notice…
Old 07-16-21, 02:22 PM
northbend 

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Did you repaint the Singer? I seem to recall it being all light green when I saw it at the Neal Lerner Invitational Ride back in 2017.
Nope

Originally Posted by obrentharris
You're a very generous man @northbend!
Brent
I'm thrilled he's joining us and besides, it's just a bike and Scott is a very experienced rider. He'll ride it better'n me....

Originally Posted by rccardr
Make sure you put the corncob on the Singer for Scott!
Not that he’d notice…
Hmmm, you got me think'n......
Old 07-29-21, 01:39 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
So here's our chariot for Cino, minus bottle cages. I did tight chainring bolts. New tires, tape, changed out freewheel, & some polishing. Fortunately, I checked crank arm bolts. Three out of four were not tight...
Likes For Roger M:
Old 08-05-21, 04:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
First Cino 84 Team version 001

Did my changes to give me a chance to minimize walking and be cino, replaced 53/39 durace crankset with 52/42/30 105...wish it were silver but it works, deraillers replaced with rx100 not fancy but look good and work well. Put the original KKT Proace pedals on with leather straps and clips. my plan to give me even more low with a 32 cog low was thwarted (for now) because I could not get the first (lock ring) cog off the cassette..figured it was karma telling me. don't push it too much, finish the build and get riding

Took it out for a shake down ride. bike still rides like a dream. Getting back used to clips and straps and getting things fine tuned is going to take a bit. Shifting is smooth and no problems, just have play and get the best combos figured out. Am thinking that I might need to swap out the flyte titanium for a brooks swift.. Will be changing the seat bag to a jannd tubular bag for more capacity. Will add adding a road runner burrito surpreme to carry my OM-1 and lots of Tri-X going Cino camera also. probably will add another water bottle that works with no bosses, What is fun is that my normal lunch loop has some gravel options so I will get some gravel practice in also

now to get my tail in gear and more training

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-25-21, 11:11 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I rode several of my bikes while preparing for Cino. The Stella in post 22 was planned for Cino 2021, but some some other options were tried. The Vitus 979 was a possibility and did OK on gravel until the county put fresh gravel on one of my routes. 26c tires at any speed are scary in deeper gravel! The Centurion Pro Tour is my other favorite. So I plan to ride the Centurion Pro Tour Saturday because it has a tall stem, the best brakes, and fat tires. I'll leave my Stella at Symes for Sunday because of its super low(19.72 ") for 9 mile hill. Both bikes now sport a well broken in Brooks saddle for maximum comfort. Don Edit, this pic is with the original stem, You'll need to check my tall Nitto out Saturday

Saturday Cino Rig: Tall Stem, Cantilever Brakes, Fat Tires

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-25-21 at 11:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-26-21, 01:34 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'm taking this now:

If I wreck it, it's the least dear. That's something

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-26-21, 02:29 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I checked the archives (because that particular ride was absurdly well-documented), and you may have been thinking of the Stan Johnson that @Roger M brought (far right below).

I also found it in another thread because I wanted to see more.