Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building Classic Bianchi with modern parts

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-01-21, 06:33 AM
hihi2u2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi there,

I'm looking to start building my first road bike and thought it might be a good learning lesson on how the bike work as well. Also to note, don't have much budget either.
Currently, I'm looking at two options;

Option 1. Not so deep-end but a modern bike that looks classic - Bianchi modern Lupo as the base, lighten up the bike, but not sure how much I can make it lighter as a road bike. Anyone got any idea how heavy is the frame? I think I can lighten up the weights, gear set, and maybe even fork if I can find a classic-looking carbon. The benefit of Lupo is the fact that I could change it between gravel and road-going by switching wheelset (that's the idea) but I'm not sure if the weight of the frame prohibit it from being a good road bike.

Option 2. Bianchi Favonius from the 90s, I don't know much about the bike apart from it can be had for around 60 pounds to build around. I've got a spare Shimano 105 ST, paired with Ultegra back deraulier. Maybe this might be a better option?

Both of these bikes are not the classic celeste colour, one is orange-purple and the other goldish. So I'm thinking of repainting at some point after getting the bikes working first.

What are your thoughts? Anyone got any information on the Bianchi Favonius?

Thanks,

Roland
Old 08-01-21, 07:01 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Building a classic looking Bianchi with modern parts on a recent frame sounds like a odd project to me, however everyone has different taste.

as to weight if the frame, you’ll likely just have to weigh it yourself. Switching to a carbon fork might save a few grams of weight but it change the ride quality too.

Unless you can get titanium or aluminum alloy cogs you can’t save too much weight in the gears. If you could change from brifters to downtube shifters you might save a few grams.

Your biggest return for your investment in shaving weight is in wheels and tires. However that comes with added issues of durability depending on you riding style and how bad the roads are where you live.

I would say if this the first bike you’re building from the frame up, don’t concentrate on lightness go with the look you have in mind and get a solid bike on the road. Then look for the fancy pants weight saving wheels and tires for road riding.

I don’t know anything about the Favinous but I love that purple pink color. It seems to be a basic Columbus Thron offering. Should make a great road bike but tire clearance might be an issue for graver riding

Oh wait this purple one seems to have an Oriya sticker. Now I need to get one.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-01-21, 07:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I think the Lupo is the same frame as the Volpe. Here is my recent Volpe project. 10 speed Ultegra shifters, GRX 46-30 crank and an 11-36 cassette. 42mm front tire, and maxed out 38mm rear. I'm not spinning out a 46-11 so with a change of tires it would work well as a road bike. I don't know the weight but definitely heavier than a true road bike.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-01-21, 11:56 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm thinking of the two because they are both within my budget and they are sort of vintage-looking frames.
I just can't find any information on the Favonius and thought it might be daunting as it is pretty old, I probably need to check the bike in person to see how well looked after it is.

The Lupo just sounds like a much lower bar, just need to get an extra pair of new road-going wheels and tires. The Lupo has the added bonus of a thicker tire if I keep two sets of wheels. Roads in Oxfordshire are always full of potholes, you know you've entered into Oxfordshire by the road surface.
Old 08-01-21, 11:57 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's a very nice build! I'm wondering if you tried running thinner tyres on the Volpe and what you thought of the ride in comparison to a more road orientated bike? I know it won't be a true road bike but just want to know how close it gets.
Old 08-01-21, 12:43 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I don’t know if this will help but here it goes..

I have a beautiful Bruce Gordon that I’ve spent good money getting to a point I like, everything is hand picked and it rides like a dream. I have a 2021 Surly Cross Check that I have a bit more money in and it rides like a dream. If you were to put a gun to my head and make me choose one I’d choose the cross check, I can’t put my finger on just why but that $500 framed Surly would be my choice.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 08-02-21 at 12:39 AM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-01-21, 01:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I haven't tried the Volpe with different tires. The friend I bought it from was using 35mm Rene Herse tires but it was an ebike conversion at the time. I'd consider the tire clearance a plus. 28mm has quickly become the new road bike standard, too wide for many older bikes.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-01-21, 02:47 PM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Favonius is sold so gonna approach the Lupo

Favonius is sold, so gonna enquire the Lupo
The problem of not deciding fast enough
Likes For hihi2u2:
Old 08-02-21, 12:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Here's a whole thread about putting modern parts on old frames: https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...i-s-ergos.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-02-21, 01:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Originally Posted by hihi2u2
Favonius is sold, so gonna enquire the Lupo
The problem of not deciding fast enough
I would encourage you to follow your dream, gut, moon, stars, etc.

I am going the other way on one, somewhat more modern frame, 86 Squadra retroed with celeste and older graphics like the parts donor.

So these parts.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...emio-22-a.html

On this frame,

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eset-63cm.html
Old 08-03-21, 06:47 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, everyone, in the end, I've gone for an easy way out and bought a 2000s Bianchi with the confusing model name/number (still need to pick it up this weekend). Still have no idea what model it is, anyone has any idea? (sorry I'm too new to upload any photos on this forum, the bike says ML3 reparto corse, it comes with SL carbon fork, front derailleur ultegra and back derailleur 105.) The bike will still need restoring, gears will still need looking at, the bike frame needs restoring and you got rusted bolts, wheels would probably need changing. But this is not a retro-styled Bianchi restoration build anymore. I probably paid too much for it as well at £250 which is the upper end of my budget and I've seen Nirone 7 or Impulso going for that price.

Will probably get a Lupo/Volpe as a second bike in the future for the gravel / off-road occasion. I still think the Lupo/Volpe still have a very nice retro style and would be new to do up (even though it is quite modern).
Old 08-03-21, 08:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
There is no rule, or even expectation, that Bianchi's have to be celeste. Sure, many, if not most, Bianchi's are celeste (does anybody know for a fact?) but plenty of them are different colors, very often black (albeit very often with celeste decals). Re-painting destroys the market value of vintage bikes. I know this for a fact because every time I try to sell a re-painted vintrage bike, all the potential buyers whine and whine about the re-paint and use it as a pretext to try to haggle me down. (Sometimes I lower the price and sometimes I tell them to take a hike and go play on the freeway.) So you might want to re-think you're decision to re-paint. Just my two thousand rupees.
Others will know better, but it seems like Bianchi reserved celeste for Italian-made or otherwise upper-level models. (None of my 3 are, so they are other colors. )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-03-21, 09:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think the Lupo is the same frame as the Volpe. Here is my recent Volpe project. 10 speed Ultegra shifters, GRX 46-30 crank and an 11-36 cassette. 42mm front tire, and maxed out 38mm rear. I'm not spinning out a 46-11 so with a change of tires it would work well as a road bike. I don't know the weight but definitely heavier than a true road bike.

Very nice bike!

I've always been in the hot rod camp than the antique camp.

But I worked with someone with a pristine '29 Model A so I understand the lengths necessary to go original.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-06-21, 03:58 AM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
For me, it's the Wilier Superleggera Ramato (i.e. reissue of the old frame with modern components) that inspired me. I will continue to look out for a vintage frame that I like for the project, in the meantime, can't wait to pick up the ML3 Bianchi tomorrow.
Old 08-21-21, 02:34 PM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Finally! I can post photos. This is the bike I bought in the end, a Bianchi ML3 in Celeste Colour.

I started to strip the bike for a thorough clean and restoration and forgot to take a photo of it before the strip. The only photo of the full bike is with me on top testing the saddle and handlebar height.

Old 08-21-21, 02:49 PM
hihi2u2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
After stripping the bike and taking the frame into the shop, I was advised that the frame has cracks and don't bother with the restoration. I was going to get the mechanics to get the mech CLA especially the crank has seized, changing the 105 to an Ultegra rear derailleur in the same period and 11-speed cassette. The cracks were only discovered after I've bought the above parts with bike cleaners, polisher, and aluminum frame protecting products.

I've also bought a full carbon Bianchi fork (similar period) to replace the original fork with galvanized corrosion.

The bike was paid via paypal, so now hoping to get some money back for the lemon.

Last edited by hihi2u2; 08-21-21 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 03:19 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
There is no rule, or even expectation, that Bianchi's have to be celeste. Sure, many, if not most, Bianchi's are celeste (does anybody know for a fact?) but plenty of them are different colors, very often black (albeit very often with celeste decals).
Biit OT here, but were there very many white ones? Or is there a rule somewhere, Bianchis non possono essere bianchi?