Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Tool Kit at Lidl Market $19.99

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-06-20, 09:32 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I'm guessing that, by now, many of you have seen or heard about the bazillion-piece bicycle tool kit available at Lidl Market for twenty bucks? Lidl Market has been taking over some of the Best Market stores here in New York, offering a line of food and non-food items similar to those found at Aldi, which more people might be familiar with.

I took a look at this kit and was impressed to see that it isn't just a patch kit, a set of tire levers, and a screw driver. This thing has a chain tool, crank remover, chain whip...all SORTS of stuff! I want so badly to buy one just to brag about the price I paid, but I already have high-quality versions of all the tools included. Can anybody think of an excuse for me to buy one anyway????
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-06-20, 09:39 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Because it’s 19.99? Great tip. Thanks! Gonna see if I can get my hands on one to leave in the car.
Old 03-06-20, 09:51 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Rage
....Gonna see if I can get my hands on one to leave in the car.
I think it's a bit of overkill for the car. There are tools in there you will probably only use once or twice in your lifetime, and probably not while you're out on a ride that is within a drive of your house.
Old 03-06-20, 09:56 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

But it’s only twenty bucks!
And it’ll give me an excuse to stick a bike stand in there too...
Old 03-06-20, 09:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
https://www.lidl.com/products/1218528

bicycle tool kit

$19.99*

• for bicycle repairs and maintenance
  • ready for anything with 20 different tools
  • includes chain whip, bottom bracket tool for Hollowtech II and other compatible external bearing bottom brackets, pedal wrench (15mm), hex key (8mm), square drive adapter for 8mm hex key, six hex keys (straight end 2/2.5/3mm; ball end 4/5/6mm), three tire levers, chain tool (6-10 speed), spoke wrench (Sizes 9/10/11/12/13/14 and two 15), square drive crank puller, crank arm cap/preload bolt tool for Hollowtech II cranksets, cassette removal tool for Shimano HG, Torx wrench (T25) and tool case
  • dimensions: 11.22" x 8.38" x 2.36"
  • 3-year limited warranty

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-06-20, 10:09 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Think I paid more’n twice that for my multi-tool.
Old 03-07-20, 05:14 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
A $20 tool kit for a $20 bicycle.

The materials and precision of tools at this price would be suspect.

We read of people killing threads on cranks with cheap removers.
I can't imagine the potential damage one could do(to the bicycle or oneself) with a chain whip that breaks while removing a very stuck cog.
Non hardened allen wrenches will round off easily.
Even the tire levers could be an issue. Cheap recycl;es plastic can be very brittle and easily snapped.
Trying pushing a chain pin out/in with a imprecisely aligned tool has potential to really mess up the chain or pin.

Modern manufacturing still costs $$$, and there is no way to produce a tool kit, in a box no less, that will provide
anything beyond a minimal level of service.

Invest in quality tools - once!
Likes For 100bikes:
Old 03-07-20, 07:12 AM
Papa Tom

But it’s only twenty bucks!
And it’ll give me an excuse to stick a bike stand in there too...
They also have a bike repair stand for $29.99, and if it's the same one that I bought at Aldi for $13.99 (it probably is), it is very good quality and well worth having as a spare.

>>>>>Invest in quality tools - once!<<<<<<

I agree. I have quality versions of all these tools already and would not use most of the tools in this kit. However, I think some of those wrenches, the spoke wrench, the tire levers, etc make the kit worth having for twenty bucks.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 03-07-20 at 07:16 AM.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-07-20, 07:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Looks like the tool kit that Performance, Nashbar and Price Point used to offer for $40 or so. My friend has one and the tools are serviceable. Worthwhile to keep in the car for emergency repairs before MTB rides. We've encountered situations where we needed to tighten something or make an adjustment just prior to a ride (I know it shouldn't happen), and this set does the job.
Old 03-07-20, 08:44 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Can’t expect shop quality tools at that price point.
But I am thinking I might far prefer using some of the tools in that kit over my multi-tool. Especially on those pre-dawn pre-ride parking lot occasions when someone needs a pedal wrench or something like that.
I’m actually hoping I never have to use the kit at all. Like my emergency roadside kit. But gonna be nice that it’ll be there in the car in case of emergency.
And I actually always wanted that Nashbar kit 2old mentions for this exact purpose but was always too cheap to pony up the forty bucks for it lol.
Old 03-07-20, 08:49 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

...13.99 bike stand, you say?
Old 03-07-20, 09:08 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
A $20 tool kit for a $20 bicycle.

The materials and precision of tools at this price would be suspect.

We read of people killing threads on cranks with cheap removers.
I can't imagine the potential damage one could do(to the bicycle or oneself) with a chain whip that breaks while removing a very stuck cog.
Non hardened allen wrenches will round off easily.
Even the tire levers could be an issue. Cheap recycl;es plastic can be very brittle and easily snapped.
Trying pushing a chain pin out/in with a imprecisely aligned tool has potential to really mess up the chain or pin.

Modern manufacturing still costs $$$, and there is no way to produce a tool kit, in a box no less, that will provide
anything beyond a minimal level of service.

Invest in quality tools - once!
+1. I too would be mainly concerned that ill fitting and soft metal/plastic tools could fecker up some parts. But, if you won't miss $20 it's probably worth checking out.....carefully.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-07-20 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-07-20, 10:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Life is too short for cheap tools. The only real reason to pick up that tool kit is maybe to throw it in the back of a car for absolute dire emergencies. Granted I wouldn't want to put those tools on my bike as I don't want to strip anything or break something with shoddy tools. Lidl and Aldi are great stores for certain things but bicycle tools for that low aren't it. Delicious knock-off fig newtons for 99¢ yes but not $19.99 tool kit with that much stuff in it, a hard no. I would rather take that $20 and get the Crank Bros M10 it is a high quality multi tool that is my EDC tool.
Old 03-07-20, 01:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
They also have a bike repair stand for $29.99, and if it's the same one that I bought at Aldi for $13.99 (it probably is), it is very good quality and well worth having as a spare.

>>>>>Invest in quality tools - once!<<<<<<

I agree. I have quality versions of all these tools already and would not use most of the tools in this kit. However, I think some of those wrenches, the spoke wrench, the tire levers, etc make the kit worth having for twenty bucks.
If you are buying it for the spoke wrench and tire levers, you would be better spending the $20 on a spoke wrench and tire levers. You would then have a few dollars left over for a Gatorade or a cup of coffee, and would have a better spoke wrench.
Old 03-07-20, 03:04 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
The box alone would be worth the price even if you take the tools out and chuck’em.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 03-07-20, 04:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
I've blown $20 on stupider things
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-07-20, 06:21 PM
Papa Tom

ALDI in NY had a very similar (if not exactly the same) tripod bike repair stand on the floor for $19.99 about three years ago. Someone on this forum from out-of-state told me he had bargained them down to $14.99. I went in and asked the price. When the employee (who turned out to be the store manager) said $19.99, I immediately put it back. He asked why I thought $19.99 was too expensive and I told him, "to be honest, someone told me he paid $14.99." The manager asked me to hold on a minute as he checked something on the store's computer. When he came back, he said "How is $13.99?" I almost grabbed all seven of them left on the shelf, but I didn't want to let on about how excited I was about the price (!) so I only took one.

When I got it home and set it up, I was amazed by the overall quality of it. It was sturdy enough to comfortably support my "main" bike with all its accessories (rack, panniers, lights, pump, etc) and it even had a tool tray and a stabilizer bar to keep the front wheel from turning sideways. My biggest problem with it was the wide tripod stand that held it up, which quickly proved itself to be a tripping hazard.

Still, I wished I had purchased a few more of them, especially when I was able to hand this one over to my neighbor's new boyfriend as a sort of "welcome" gift. He must still think I'm very wealthy or something, because that thing looks like a $200 repair stand if I ever saw one. Anyway, LIDL appears to be selling one that looks just like it for $29.99 right now. If you go in to buy one, see if you can get it down to $13.99!

Originally Posted by phughes
If you are buying it for the spoke wrench and tire levers, you would be better spending the $20 on a spoke wrench and tire levers. You would then have a few dollars left over for a Gatorade or a cup of coffee, and would have a better spoke wrench.
Don't worry, phuges. I'm not buying one. I already have about seven spoke wrenches and a case of tire levers I bought off a bike store that was going out of business.
Old 03-07-20, 07:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Some time in spring ALDI has repair stands for like $30. after a couple of weeks they close them out for lots less. Availability and closeout time/price varies by location.
They're just fine for general maintenance (I bought 2) and light repair, but aren't going to replace anyone's higher end Park/Feedback etc.
Old 03-08-20, 06:44 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Looks like the tool kit that Performance, Nashbar and Price Point used to offer for $40 or so.
I got one of these that was tossed in with a rescued C&V bike I bought. Originally thought I would use when I visited the kids where I always tune, repair, etc. their bikes. Chain whip broke on the first try pulling a cassette, also the box has no room for anything extra like chain lube. Some marginal tools have been replaced but most are still in a new box. However, I bought them all decent stands for my use and theirs as I have never seen a bargain basement stand that I did not just want to get away from.

Last edited by easyupbug; 03-08-20 at 06:49 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-08-20, 10:42 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a new bike owner, purchased my bike January this year. I bought the tool kit and stand for around $40. The stand is sturdy and works well for me, the tools seem ok as a starter set. I can purchase better tools as I need them.

Thnaks to the OP for the heads
Likes For CoffeedrinkerNC:
Old 03-08-20, 11:24 AM
phughes

Don't worry, phuges. I'm not buying one. I already have about seven spoke wrenches and a case of tire levers I bought off a bike store that was going out of business.
I was more worried about others thinking it might be a good idea.
Old 03-08-20, 01:16 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by phughes
I was more worried about others thinking it might be a good idea.
Hmm, it looks like COFFEEDRINKER thought it was a good idea. Let's see how things work out. Years ago, I played Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall several times with a really cheap set of drums and nothing fell apart during the gigs..
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-08-20, 05:19 PM
phughes

Hmm, it looks like COFFEEDRINKER thought it was a good idea. Let's see how things work out. Years ago, I played Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall several times with a really cheap set of drums and nothing fell apart during the gigs..
Not the same as using a cheap wrench on a fastener that may take a bit of torque to remove. Cheap wrench not fitting properly and made of inferior metal, thereby stripping the head of the fastener, requiring a new post the the mechanics section, then an easy out or other method to remove the fastener that could have been easily removed with a quality tool.
Old 03-08-20, 05:40 PM
Papa Tom

Yeah, you may be right, but as I say, let's see what those who pulled the trigger on this item think about it.

A few months ago, I bought a fold-up cross-bar tire lug wrench to keep in my car. It looks pretty sturdy, but it's a Harbor Freight special, so I won't know if it's any good until I get a flat tire.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-08-20, 07:28 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

I’m going to get one and instead of just sticking it in the car in event of emergency, I will bust it out and do some wrenching. Will report my findings. In the furtherance of Science!
Likes For Rage:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.