Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

26 inch Road Tire Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 10:46 AM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

Hi, I'm looking for some road tire recommendations for smaller road bike wheels. My wife is quite short (4'11") and we finally found her a bike that fits well, an older Miyata with 26" wheels. The current tires are something like 25mm wide. I suspect they are super old and perhaps not in production anymore anyway. They are also don't ride so well, and soon will be worn out. I would love to put something like Continental GP 4 seasons on there, but they don't come in that size afaik. So, do you all have any suggestions for good narrower tires (ideally in the 25mm range as it doesn't look like fatter will fit in the frame) for 26" wheels? Thanks!
Old 06-25-21, 11:26 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What do you mean by "26 inch"? That can refer to a number of different things, and they're not interchangeable.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/26.html

What do the tire labels refer to the size as?
Do the tires have an ETRTO size listed on them, on the decals or molded into the sidewall? Something formated XX-YYY, like 25-571?
Old 06-25-21, 12:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Continental and Vittoria are two decent tire manufacturers that I've used recently. There are plenty of others. Just go to their websites and look at what they offer.

You do need to find that ISO/ETRTO number though. Then you'll know what the BSD (bead seat diameter) is for that wheel and you'll know what 26" tires you should be looking at.

When you figure all that out and what model tire you want, then google for it and see who has them in stock at a decent price.
Old 06-25-21, 12:28 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts
Sorry I should have included that. The tires on there are marked 20-559.
Old 06-25-21, 02:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Michelin wild run'r 26x1.1 sounds like a good choice for you. Narrow enough decent inexpensive tire.

The 26" Tire and Wheel Thread

26" road tire decisions,please help.