Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

'83 Team Miyata

Old 07-05-21, 09:38 PM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
'83 Team Miyata

This was donated by a generous benefactor to our local co-op. Planning to sell as fundraiser. All original, except for tires and saddle, full Dura Ace, including those wacky DynaDrive pedals and cranks. Handful of very minor paint chips, brake hoods falling off (planning to replace with Cane Creek tan) but otherwise mint.
Also seeking advice on the saddle and tire choice. Current tires mismatched and dried out.

Can't see the saddle but it's some lycra rubbish. Need a period correct one.

DynaDrive for the win.

Dura Ace even on post and stem. Hand stitched leather grips.
Old 07-06-21, 02:29 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
If the saddle isn’t torn leave it be. What prank is it? I’d put some Panaracer Pasela tires on it, good but not too expensive.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-06-21, 08:02 AM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
If the saddle isn’t torn leave it be. What prank is it? I’d put some Panaracer Pasela tires on it, good but not too expensive.
Good tips, thanks!
Cranks? I believe they and the pedals are 7300 series Dura Ace AX DynaDrive. They were an early 80s effort to lower the platform of the pedal by eliminating the pedal spindle. And maybe to strike fear into the hearts of the poor souls at Campagnolo and SunTour.
Old 07-06-21, 10:09 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
Very generous.

I see an 85 frame on ebay went for 295 on Auction. Then there was another for 575 free shipping buy it now, very nice pictures of that one, but I think yours could be in better condition.

For this one, condition looks to be very good, I'm tempted to say excellent, but there's only 3 pictures and I haven't seen the other side of it, a few spots that look to be scuffed, which could potentially be buffed out. But definitely not a lot of signs of hard use or deep scratches into the bare metal. Current condition, without doing anything, I'd probably be asking 375-500 local sale. Take the time to disassemble and replace the consumables, regrease everything, I think you're looking at 6-700 range locally, maybe more if you are in a hotter market, I wouldn't expect it to move too quickly though. On ebay, maybe you could get close to 1000 completely finished, maybe 600+ as is? Remember I'm basing all of this off of 3 pictures and my personal experience, the condition aspect can really push prices very high. If there's a huge Miyata fan out there and this is their size, they may be waiting a long time for another in this condition to come along.

I think it may even attract overseas interest, considering how nice of condition it could be. It might be worth just putting it up on eBay as is with a 1000 dollar buy it now and best offer option to see what you might get. With offers on, auto decline below 400, people will send offers on this one I would bet. Can always start higher, but I wouldn't wait too long to move lower if there's no interest.

It's a good size too, I'd be excited if I bought this one for 300 in as is condition, and I'm pretty cheap and also not a huge Miyata fan. Would be a ton of fun for me to get it riding again and then I'd be comfortable I'd make a nice profit when I did decide to move on.

For the top dollars, you're going to want to take very nice pictures.
Old 07-06-21, 10:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Beautiful bike. Agree with Bianchigirll . I'd sink as little money as possible into the consumables since the buyer will likely want a different saddle and may well want different tires.

Price is obviously location specific. I live in a middling city in the midwest and locally I reckon that bike, even overhauled, is worth around $450 but this is a tough market to sell a quality vintage bike.

I'm a big Miyata fan. This is, IMO, one of the best production vintage racing bikes you can buy.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-06-21, 10:45 AM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
More pics then:

Old 07-06-21, 10:50 AM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Proper side view
Old 07-06-21, 11:38 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
With the new pictures, I'm leaning towards the higher end of my ranges. It's also tough to say for certain, because the buyer who will spend top dollar on this isn't your everyday guy, he knows exactly what this bike is in and out, whereas a lot of what we get asked on this forum is more common bikes that people might sell and the buyer is just looking for a nice bike to ride. So a mid level trek will sell all day 2-300 depending on condition, and I'm confident with that because it's easily repeatable. A bike like this doesn't come up often. The frame that sold for 575 free shipping and buy it now is a good benchmark, but I also don't know how long that listing was live. There's plenty of people on eBay who are firm on their prices but in my mind, they aren't trying to sell their stuff, they just have it listed for sale. If that makes sense.

I'd still do the as-is Ebay listing for $1000 and see what offers come in, would probably wait a few weeks before trying to lower any prices, might also list it locally for a couple hundred cheaper just to avoid the ebay fees and shipping hassle.

For a Miyata fan it doesn't get much better than this. Could even fetch a higher price, but I think based on condition and build, to me, any more than 1k starts to get into a different league of bicycle, not necessarily any better riding, but just more prestige, better regarded components, and brand recognition. Think a Masi or Colnago with Campy
Old 07-06-21, 12:22 PM
Cooperator
occasional marmot

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. I really didn't know where on the scale between bagged-out Schwinn and museum-Confente I should be marketing this.
This is a great community.
Old 07-07-21, 03:48 PM
ryanmx5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Cooperator,

Depending on size I would be pretty interested in this bicycle and would pay fair price, if willing to ship. PM me and we can discuss. I am currently restoring a Miyata 610 Touring from this era I received from my grandparents and thought it would be cool to pick up an old race bike too.