Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Mario Cuomo Bridge Path-Nyack side

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 12:50 PM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am trying to get together with an old friend. We will be riding up from River Road under the GW Bridge to 9W and then going on Ferndon Road south of NYACK. How do any of you get onto the new Mario Cuomo Bike Path from there? Any advice would be appreciated as I have not ridden there in 30+ years.

Thanks,

Jim.
Old 07-20-21, 03:05 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Continue on Ferdon through Piermont north on River Road. Pass under I287 up the hill then left on Clinton Ave in S. Nyack. Trail entrance is 2 blocks west on the left.
Old 07-20-21, 04:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Or take the gravel rail trail north from Piermont, it intersects Ash street up the hill in Piermont. It's a few miles on a straight and easy gravel path, doable on 23mm road tires, leads right onto the bridge path right after you cross over the I87 overpass.
Old 07-20-21, 05:34 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Steve (or anyone here), would you say River Rd is tandem-friendly? I didn't even know it was paved. (At least I think it's paved). Tandem has a 30-32 low gear and 32mm slick tires.

I was going to do a solo bike recon today but stymied by a stiff neck (my riding partner) and pain/other issues from a pulled tooth (me).
Old 07-20-21, 06:00 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
[QUOTE=kaos joe;22150618]Steve (or anyone here), would you say River Rd is tandem-friendly? I didn't even know it was paved. (At least I think it's paved). Tandem has a 30-32 low gear and 32mm slick tires.

I was going to do a solo bike recon today but stymied by a stiff neck (my riding partner) and pain/other issues from a pulled tooth (me).[/QUOTE

There are 2 different river roads referenced in the thread. The first, through the Palisades Interstate Park is commonly called river road, but it is offically Henry Hudson Drive on the maps. It is paved, though pretty rough in spots. Mostly rolling hills with 2 steep climbs heaading south to north. The first climb is from the Englewood Boat Basin to Dykman Hill Rd. The second and longest is the Alpine Approach Rd at the Northern end before you get onto 9W. The other River Rd is flat and paved along the river in Grandview, with a short climb after you pass under 287
Old 07-20-21, 06:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
There's also a River Rd. goes north out of Piermont to Nyack. On Google maps once it passes under the I87 overpass it becomes Piermont Ave. If you follow that i to Nyack, make a left on Clinton Ave. go 2 blocks to the bike path over the bridge. Ive never ridden this.
Old 07-29-21, 12:00 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
it is offically Henry Hudson Drive on the maps. It is paved, though pretty rough in spots. ...[snip]...The other River Rd is flat and paved along the river in Grandview,
Just an observation: As of this year, there is no part of Henry Hudson Drive where the pavement is even remotely as "rough" as the entirety of River Road between Piermont and Nyack. Whatever repair work they did to the gas or water mains underneath River Road apparently exhausted their budget before the road surface could be returned to some semblance of normalcy; that ~2 mile stretch is now littered from end to end and from curb to curb with bone-jarring potholes, asphalt chunks, and under-filled trenches.
Old 08-01-21, 07:45 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I did that ride last year and it was pretty obvious where to go. That last comment though about River Road from Piermont might make it more difficult as that is the obvious route. The one route I'd stay off of though is 9W on that stretch.

Last edited by zacster; 08-01-21 at 07:49 AM.