Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 01-10-16, 07:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I like chain tensioners and have always used them. Not sure if they are the reason but I have never had a wheel slip, and I have a decent start. Even the finicky little NJS one's are fine, you just can't manhandle them or you will strip them instantly.
Knowing you in person, I think that you would slip some wheels if you didn't.

For those reading:

"Slipping wheels" means that during a high-torque event like a standing start or jump from a slow roll, the rider yanks the chain so hard that the rear wheel slides forward in the dropout. The right side only. This jams the wheel to the left and it rubs the chainstay and causes the wheel to stop as though brakes were applied.

This is also why, when using chain tensioners, you really only need on on the right side.

There are two types of tensioners: Pull and Push.

1) PULL: The "lollipop" or BMX style. This hooks on the axle and is affixed to the dropout from the outside. You tighten it and it pulls the axle backwards and doesn't allow it to slide forwards when the chain pulls.

2) PUSH: Internal/Integrated style. This is a screw that is built into the dropout and you screw it (away from the front of the bike) and it pushes the wheel axle away from the frame. It essentially shortens the dropout and won't allow the wheel to come forward when set. This is the modern style. You'll see this on mid and high-end bikes.

"Why does it slip?"

Sometimes, you have a combination of steel wheel nuts and steel (or steel plated) dropouts, the metals are both so hard, that they actually slip against each other if given enough force. Higher-end bike manufacturers (LOOK 496, Felt TK1, Tiemeyer) mitigate this by using titanium (or titanium plated) dropouts. Titanium is strong, but softer than steel, so the steel wheel nut "bites" into the dropout and holds tighter.

So, when you read about Ti Dropouts, it's not a "bling" thing. It's a functional thing.
Old 01-10-16, 07:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Further...

Torque is a function of strength and weight of the rider. Simply put, strong guys make a lot of torque. Heavy guys make a lot of torque. Heavy guys that are strong make a helluva lot of torque.

I've always been a heavy guy. I was a 195 lb HS athlete...and got heavier after I graduated. When I rode single-speed and fixed gear street bikes, I'd have to use tensioners simply because I'd pull wheels when driving hard up hills and whatnot. So, that abnormally high torque was more a function of my weight than my power.
Old 01-11-16, 02:21 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Further...

Torque is a function of strength and weight of the rider. Simply put, strong guys make a lot of torque. Heavy guys make a lot of torque. Heavy guys that are strong make a helluva lot of torque.

I've always been a heavy guy. I was a 195 lb HS athlete...and got heavier after I graduated. When I rode single-speed and fixed gear street bikes, I'd have to use tensioners simply because I'd pull wheels when driving hard up hills and whatnot. So, that abnormally high torque was more a function of my weight than my power.
Yeah, and I've never been over 180 lbs and usually race between 170-175, but still for me it's better safe than sorry with the tensioners. I've seen a lot of awkward looking crashes (that hurt) from slipped wheels at standing starts. Sometimes the really low speed crashes can hurt worse than high speed, where of you're lucky you will slide.
Old 01-11-16, 02:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Yeah, and I've never been over 180 lbs and usually race between 170-175, but still for me it's better safe than sorry with the tensioners. I've seen a lot of awkward looking crashes (that hurt) from slipped wheels at standing starts. Sometimes the really low speed crashes can hurt worse than high speed, where of you're lucky you will slide.
You fall in to the "strong rider" category. So, you'd need them. I'm in the "fat rider" category.
Old 01-11-16, 04:03 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i slipped a wheel not knowing it happened. i was thinking why does my gear feel so big #pause and it happened to be too tight of a chain.

standard track bolts...

so i bought these...

the tensioners on my current frame are seized. i should probably blast that area with wd-40 so i can use them just in case. i rarely change gearing even for warm up...

i miss having a disc because it made that cool whoosh whoosh sound lol.

Last edited by Impreza_aL; 01-11-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 04:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

yeah, these suck for holding wheels.

And these help somewhat.

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
i miss having a disc because it made that cool whoosh whoosh sound lol.
Woosh sound OP.

the tensioners on my current frame are seized. i should probably blast that area with wd-40 so i can use them just in case. i rarely change gearing even for warm up...
You are just hurting yourself. You are working too hard and wasting energy you could use for racing. As the saying goes, "Train how you race and race how you train." You should get into the habit of warming up and switching wheels and whatnot. That way when you have to do it in a big event, it won't be frustrating.

To extend that: Weeks leading up to big events like Nationals, it's advisable to do your workouts as though you would get no track time at the event. So, warm up 100% on rollers then race your race day or do your workout. I asked an Olympic racer if it's even possible to do a kilo with only rollers as a warmup. No standing starts, no rolling jumps. Just rollers. His response was, "Yes. You learn to do it and your performance won't be diminished."
Old 01-11-16, 07:42 PM
Impreza_aL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are just hurting yourself. You are working too hard and wasting energy you could use for racing. As the saying goes, "Train how you race and race how you train." You should get into the habit of warming up and switching wheels and whatnot. That way when you have to do it in a big event, it won't be frustrating.

To extend that: Weeks leading up to big events like Nationals, it's advisable to do your workouts as though you would get no track time at the event. So, warm up 100% on rollers then race your race day or do your workout. I asked an Olympic racer if it's even possible to do a kilo with only rollers as a warmup. No standing starts, no rolling jumps. Just rollers. His response was, "Yes. You learn to do it and your performance won't be diminished."
it's only weekly night racing not too concerned about results because i just want a good workout. the turnout has been pretty low on endurance nights and the new regime at the track are a bunch of egocentric/crooks...
Old 01-11-16, 08:42 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What make/model are those?
Old 01-11-16, 09:20 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
it's only weekly night racing not too concerned about results because i just want a good workout. the turnout has been pretty low on endurance nights and the new regime at the track are a bunch of egocentric/crooks...
In Japan the club guys hardly ever changed gears for warm up. I was stupefied at first, but that's just how they do it.
Old 01-11-16, 10:50 PM
Impreza_aL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkWW
What make/model are those?
they are made for phil wood hubs.

In Japan the club guys hardly ever changed gears for warm up. I was stupefied at first, but that's just how they do it.
if it's good enough for the og japanese cats then it's good enough for me...
Old 01-12-16, 07:39 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
One of the former Canadian National team guys (Jim Fisher) would spend all day on the rollers the day of the Kilo and TS. He must've ridden 40km prior to each event just warming up on rollers all day.
Old 01-12-16, 10:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Regarding warming up and staying warm. Remember the British Team had special pants that had heaters in them for the London Olympics. Not sure if it was to warm the athletes up or keep them warm between warmup and the event.

I read in one study that the objective to obtain optimal athletic performance is to literally raise the temperature of the muscles.

Last edited by carleton; 01-13-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 08:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
One of the former Canadian National team guys (Jim Fisher) would spend all day on the rollers the day of the Kilo and TS. He must've ridden 40km prior to each event just warming up on rollers all day.
during long hard race weekends i'm probably on rollers for longer than i am racing. and i like to break it up, too - an hour during a morning session, maybe more, sprinkled over a few periods; half hour as a warmup-warmup to loosen myself up during my racing session, and then an actual half-hour warmup before my race. followed by a fifteen or twenty minute cooldown.

i mean, a good rule of thumb is the shorter the race, the longer the warmup. that goes double for track racing; in a crit, you might be able to say "i'm just gonna tailgun for the first fifteen or twenty minutes and get loose," but that's pretty impossible even in a 'long' track race.
Old 01-13-16, 08:39 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Regarding warming up and staying warm. Remember the British Team had special pants that hat heaters in them for the London Olympics. Not sure if it was to warm the athletes up or keep them warm between warmup and the event.

I read in one study that the objective to obtain optimal athletic performance is to literally raise the temperature of the muscles.
At the Six Days of Kissena last year, I was wearing two layers on my legs to keep them warm. Unfortunately, being it was in the mid-30's there was no keeping my legs or any other part of my body warm.
Old 01-13-16, 05:10 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
At the Six Days of Kissena last year, I was wearing two layers on my legs to keep them warm. Unfortunately, being it was in the mid-30's there was no keeping my legs or any other part of my body warm.
Men's Buck Naked Wind Saver Windproof Boxer Briefs - Duluth Trading
Old 01-13-16, 09:42 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do they sell a Men's Buck Naked Wind Saver Windproof Body Suit?
Old 01-13-16, 10:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Do they sell a Men's Buck Naked Wind Saver Windproof Body Suit?

Last edited by carleton; 01-13-16 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 07:19 AM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I'm going to be sick. Please send me your address and I'll send you a razor.
Old 01-14-16, 08:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

I think I'm going to be sick. Please send me your address and I'll send you a razor.
Hahahaha, that's not me.
Old 01-14-16, 10:22 AM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Never in my life would I have thought I would need a kerosene heater for a track race up until those races. Hopefully we have enough common sense to move them a few weeks later this season.
Old 01-14-16, 10:43 AM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkWW
Never in my life would I have thought I would need a kerosene heater for a track race up until those races. Hopefully we have enough common sense to move them a few weeks later this season.
+1

Brean also mentioned the possibility of having Fall series of races in addition. I'm really hoping that will happen.
Old 01-14-16, 03:01 PM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no youtube livestream of today's world cup? just showing for sunday. bummer

*anyway to watch a (free) stream of today's event. if shown on sky or eurosport or whatever? im not familiar.

Last edited by sergioflorez; 01-14-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 03:37 PM
jt_uk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, on that subject, do you guys shave?
Old 01-14-16, 03:59 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jt_uk
My legs are clean shaven before I take the start line of any race.
Old 01-14-16, 04:01 PM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jt_uk
Not over the winter. Will start again as soon as the temperature is reasonable again or I can get on an indoor track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.