Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Issues: Class II rear hitch tray rack into class I receiver

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-11-21, 10:23 AM
jennc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi.

I have a 2015 VW Golf TDI and can only find class I undercarriage receivers to fit it (11/4" receiver). They state the torque limit is 200lbs. Before I decide on an undercarriage receiver of the two I can find that will fit my car (from Draw Tite), I want to ensure I can find a rear, hitch-mounted dual tray bike rack that will fit the class I receiver. So I find that there are several rear tray racks that will fit the class I 1.25" receiver, BUT either the receiver or bike manufacturer may install some sort of stop so you can't insert these class I tray racks into the class I receiver. I've reached out to Draw Tite to see if this is the case for either of the available receivers I am looking at. In the meantime, I have several questions I can't find answers to:

1) I have read it is easy enough to shave this stop off, but that you shouldn't so you don't kill kids when your rack snaps on the freeway from overloaded torque. How do I calculate my total torque weight to the receiver in addition to just the weight of the rack + bikes (which is def under the 200lbs. weight stated by the manufacturer)?

2) I am doing this all super on the cheap as a grad school student so will be looking for the cheapest receiver and rack I can find that is still safe and responsible to others. I am wondering if it is EVER safe to put a class II rack into a class I receiver, whether I have to shave off a stop or not. I know lots of people do it because it is possible, but aren't you running the risk of your rig falling off at some point?

Any suggestions besides recommending super spendy products are welcome, thanks!
Old 01-11-21, 10:54 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I think this is a really bad idea but...
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...tch%20Adapters
Old 01-11-21, 10:59 AM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
The people at etrailer.com really know their stuff. I would speak to them on the phone, explain your situation, see what they say. What’s possible may not be wise and we live in a litigious age. You won’t be a poor grad student forever.
Old 01-11-21, 11:01 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
are you confusing tongue weight with torque weight?
Most hitches are rated as "tongue" weight which is he dead weight on the ball (ie how much the trailer weighs at the hitch). The only place I've seen "torque weight" being an issue is when using extended hitches.

Extended Hitch Calc
Old 01-11-21, 11:46 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by jennc
Hi.

I have a 2015 VW Golf TDI and can only find class I undercarriage receivers to fit it (11/4" receiver). They state the torque limit is 200lbs. Before I decide on an undercarriage receiver of the two I can find that will fit my car (from Draw Tite), I want to ensure I can find a rear, hitch-mounted dual tray bike rack that will fit the class I receiver. So I find that there are several rear tray racks that will fit the class I 1.25" receiver, BUT either the receiver or bike manufacturer may install some sort of stop so you can't insert these class I tray racks into the class I receiver. I've reached out to Draw Tite to see if this is the case for either of the available receivers I am looking at. In the meantime, I have several questions I can't find answers to:

1) I have read it is easy enough to shave this stop off, but that you shouldn't so you don't kill kids when your rack snaps on the freeway from overloaded torque. How do I calculate my total torque weight to the receiver in addition to just the weight of the rack + bikes (which is def under the 200lbs. weight stated by the manufacturer)?

2) I am doing this all super on the cheap as a grad school student so will be looking for the cheapest receiver and rack I can find that is still safe and responsible to others. I am wondering if it is EVER safe to put a class II rack into a class I receiver, whether I have to shave off a stop or not. I know lots of people do it because it is possible, but aren't you running the risk of your rig falling off at some point?

Any suggestions besides recommending super spendy products are welcome, thanks!
I have a 1 1/4 receiver and use a Thule tray rack. I have been using it on two different cars since 2012. It works great. Here are Thule's 1 1/4 inch racks: https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks
Old 01-11-21, 03:03 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I guess I don’t understand what you’re asking. I bought a 1 1/4” receiver, and a 1 1/4” bike rack. It works.

Old 01-11-21, 03:22 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Any two bike tray rack sized for a 1 1/4" receiver will be within the class I tongue weight limits and will work with your hitch. I'm not sure what you mean by a "stop" to prevent insertion, classes I and II both use 1 1/4" receivers but differ in ball diameter . For reference I have a Mazda CX-5 with a factory receiver hitch and a Kuat Transfer 3 bike rack that works correctly with my cars 2000 lb max tow rating. My rack also includes a sleeve to work with a 2" receiver and if that is shipped installed on your rack you would have to remove it to use in a 1 1/4" receiver
Old 01-11-21, 03:46 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Thule and Yakima make racks that will fit both 1.25" and 2" receivers.

This is my Thule rack that fits both the 1.25 receiver 2" receivers. I have 2" receivers on my Subaru and my Truck. I got this particular rack because our touring bikes have fenders. It secures the bikes to the rack by clamping the top tube not the wheels.
Old 01-11-21, 04:27 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Get the 1.25 inch hitch if that's all you can find..then buy whatever bike rack that gets you what you need at the price you want to pay. If you need a 1.25 inch too 2 inch receiver adapter..get it. You may need the extension to get the rack away from your car anyway.

No worries on using a 1.25 to 2 inch adapter..zero..nada..not one...for a bike rack. You'll never get close to the 200# rating. The adapter isn't meant for towing..at least rational people wouldn't tow with it(beyond a super light kayak trailer or some such thing). .
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-12-21, 11:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I think this is a really bad idea but...
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...tch%20Adapters
It's not. I used one of those for a number of years carrying 3 to 4 bikes at a time. Used it for both local runs and long distance drives. Never a problem.

I also use a 2" extender now with my Kuat Transfer 2 as that is the only way the rack will clear the spare on my Jeep. No problems whatsoever.

Just make sure the extender is securely fastened at each end.

Last edited by Mojo31; 01-12-21 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-12-21, 01:39 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It's not. I used one of those for a number of years carrying 3 to 4 bikes at a time. Used it for both local runs and long distance drives. Never a problem.

I also use a 2" extender now with my Kuat Transfer 2 as that is the only way the rack will clear the spare on my Jeep. No problems whatsoever.

Just make sure the extender is securely fastened at each end.
No, it's a really bad idea. The text on the extender clearly says that using it will HALVE the rated weight capacity. It was 200lbs, that drops is 100lbs, which is pretty trivial to exceed considering most racks weight 30-50lbs empty. Yes, it'll be fine with a carbon road bike or two, but toss a couple of hybrids or a single ebike and you'll easily exceed the limits.
Exceeded rated limits always works just fine, until it doesn't.
Old 01-12-21, 01:51 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
No, it's a really bad idea. The text on the extender clearly says that using it will HALVE the rated weight capacity. It was 200lbs, that drops is 100lbs, which is pretty trivial to exceed considering most racks weight 30-50lbs empty. Yes, it'll be fine with a carbon road bike or two, but toss a couple of hybrids or a single ebike and you'll easily exceed the limits.
Never said he could ignore capacity ratings. But, she did not say what she was intending to carry other than her rack and bikes are less than 200 lbs.
Old 01-12-21, 02:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Here is a 2” hitch receiver that will fit your car:

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-201...-golf-ecohitch

For bike racks, 2” racks have advantages over 1-1/4”. Get a 2” receiver if you can.

Avoid adapters or extenders if you can. They add more points of play and slop.
Old 01-12-21, 02:43 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yup I'd recommend installing a class 3 hitch or using a 1upusa that does not utilize the hitch pin at all.
Old 01-14-21, 03:11 PM
jennc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you!

I settled on a hitch and rack and wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed information to my query here - much obliged!
Likes For jennc:
Old 01-14-21, 03:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by gsa103
towing rating in the US on cars is mostly BS anyway.
https://motoiq.com/project-mkvi-golf-tdi-lets-tow/
Old 01-14-21, 06:40 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by jennc
I settled on a hitch and rack and wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed information to my query here - much obliged!
When you get it post pictures. Someone in the future may have the same questions.
Old 01-14-21, 08:44 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I guess I don’t understand what you’re asking. I bought a 1 1/4” receiver, and a 1 1/4” bike rack. It works.

My take on it is someone gave the OP some bad information, under the guise of being helpful.
Old 01-14-21, 10:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
towing rating in the US on cars is mostly BS anyway.
https://motoiq.com/project-mkvi-golf-tdi-lets-tow/
until it comes a legal matter involving an insurance entity.
Old 01-15-21, 04:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by Troul
until it comes a legal matter involving an insurance entity.
The article specifically mentions warranty issues.
Old 01-15-21, 05:52 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
For what it is worth. The hitch on my focus has one of those stupid tabs on it so I drilled it out. I did it because I run a 1up rack and couldn't insert it as far as I would have liked, doesn't use a pin. Drilled that tab out and now I can slide the rack in so it is tight up against my bumper when folded up and more secure to boot. Think a lot of people in here are confused about the difference between a class 1 and 2 hitch.

"Class I and Class II hitches both have a 1-1/4 inch receiver opening. The difference is that a Class I hitch has a lower tongue weight rating, usually 200 pounds and a lower towing rating, usually 2,000 pounds. A Class II hitch usually has a tongue weight rating of 350 pounds and a towing rating of 3,500 pounds."

The tab is in there to prevent people from using class 2 required dohickies in class 1 rated receivers, class 2 things slide in further. I'm sure there are some out there but I don't know of any 1-1/4 bike rack where any of this matters.
Old 01-21-21, 04:52 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Bottom line is if you do not exceed the tongue weight of the hitch you are ok. Canker is correct, the tab on the draw bar is there so a class 2 drawbar in not put into a class 1 hitch. As long as you know that, and don't exceed the max rating you are good to go. For the record, I was one of three engineers that designed the hitches at Draw-Tite back in the late 80's. Every hitch we designed went through V-5 dynamic load testing. Assuming they still do this, there is a LOT of safety factor built into the hitch...
Old 01-21-21, 05:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
The article specifically mentions warranty issues.
insurance is not the same as warranty in this matter.