Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Estimating the value

Old 03-22-21, 10:59 AM
TheGoodfellow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Estimating the value

Hello

I am trying to sell my 1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert 58 but bicyclebluebook.com doesn't go back that far. It's rebuilt and in great condition with same Red and white colors but I haven't been able to narrow in on the exact price I should sell it for. I keep seeing a range from $100 to $800. I was curious if anyone had an idea or maybe an estimate for what price I should be listing this bike for? Thanks!
Likes For TheGoodfellow:
Old 03-22-21, 11:06 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Centurion Ironman Expert (1987-1989) (vintage-centurion.com)

Old 03-22-21, 11:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Depends on the method of sale (eBay versus Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, or some other) and your local market pricing. I sold a 1987 Ironman Expert in 58 cm back in December for $400 through Craigslist. It sold within a few days. I had fully reconditioned it, though, with nothing left undone.
Old 03-22-21, 12:02 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from General to Classic & Vintage Appraisals.

Old 03-22-21, 12:51 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Price, for a vintage road bike depends on a few key factors...

Condition - the better the cosmetics, the more the value. Road worthy and safe to ride, = more value.

Size - medium reaches a bigger potential market, and that means more asking price. Small or large bikes are harder to sell and, needless to say, means a smaller market.

Location is super important. Big cities = big market = more $$$. In my city, Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada, it is hard to give something like this away...

But in Toronto or Vancouver (both big cities), value soars and I would not let it go for less than $750.00. Put another way, I will end up keeping it even though I do not need any more bikes. As for the value of a 1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert 58, I have no idea, having never owned one.

Time of year is, in some places, really important. Needless to say few people are looking for an old road bike when there is two to three feet of snow on the ground. A couple of weeks from now, when Spring has sprung, the price goes up dramatically. And, in these unusual times, Covid speaking, there seems to be a shortage of bikes, meaning that the price is greater.

Marketing skills. Good pictures and accurate description usually means more money.

So, to determine value, we need to know where you live, what size the bike is, its condition, and you need to present all of this with care, meaning good pictures and description. If everything is really good, aim for the higher end of the price range. If not, use you best guess regarding the above and ask less.
Old 03-22-21, 05:27 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Add some photos to your gallery, and tell us in detail what it has on it. Maybe someone can narrow the range down if we know more.