Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Slight One-sided Discomfort in the Saddle

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 06:03 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts

I have long (always?) had a minor issue with my left sit bone/interface being slightly uncomfortable: whether it be a subtle extraneous pressure or that things feel ‘pinched’ over there. My left leg is dominate.

With many different frames, saddles, saddle heights, top tube lengths, and stem lengths over the years: It has always remained a minor annoyance: this slight feeling of discomfort where the left/dominate leg interfaces with the saddle when everything else feels perfect … It has never caused major problems and has never ruined a ride, though I am suddenly curious after a random binge of bicycle fit videos on YouTube if this silly problem of mine might have an obvious solution that everyone else knows about… Especially those over here.

If any of you educated folks have some thoughts on this relatively silly problem, I’d love to absorb them

Edit: I should add, I use platform pedals; I've never ridden with cleats/clipless.

Last edited by ethet; 03-23-21 at 06:06 PM. Reason: An additional detail
Old 03-23-21, 08:04 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I was also going to say too high, with the pain on the short leg side. But also you might want to try turning the saddle a bit sideways. . . If I had to guess I would suggest the tip towards the side that hurts for a first try.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 03-23-21, 08:12 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
The left side of your body could be heavier.
Old 03-23-21, 08:13 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Perhaps that is part of my problem: I really don't like the sensation when my saddle is too low. I really, really don't like it... It causes knee pain and I feel like I can never get on 'top' of the stroke and it so uncomfortable for me that I am biased towards raising the saddle. Though my saddle is not too high, it really isn't. I have adjusted it when on a trainer and even biased it 5mm lower than 'suggested' by convention. The thing is: the fit feels good, it's great: I ride more than 80km every day and can't complain.

Honestly, everything is fine. I do have slight discomfort on the left side of the saddle interface and am curious if @mdarnton's suggestion is ingenious in its simplicity: Is tilting a saddle laterally to relieve slight discomfort a thing ?
Old 03-23-21, 10:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've had a saddle sore on the right side for years and never a problem on the left. My doctor thinks it's because I have a mild case of scoliosis. My legs measure the same length, but if I hang from my hands, my right leg looks shorter than my left. I tried shimming the right side, but that made no difference. Just the right saddle was the solution to the saddle sore, but I also have had to be careful to keep my upper body centered over the frame. It took a while to learn to do that.
Old 03-23-21, 11:17 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
I was also going to say too high, with the pain on the short leg side. But also you might want to try turning the saddle a bit sideways. . . If I had to guess I would suggest the tip towards the side that hurts for a first try.
The first thing to do is get the seat height right, then if that isn't the issue, possibly turn the seat, but I honestly doubt turning the seat is the answer. The most common reason for that type of pain is a too high seat height. Try getting the seat height figured out first. I swear this should be a sticky. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
Old 03-24-21, 08:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You wear cycling shorts with a chamois? If not, try them. If you do, then maybe you need to try models that have a thinner pad or a thicker pad.

I'd vote for a slightly thinner pad. No gel..... but I might be just biased against gel. However I always get along well when its not present in the solution.