Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 01:53 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealDrPhil
I swapped out my 25C Veloflex Corsa EVOs for 28C Veloflex Corsa EVOs. They measure correctly and the fatter tires offer a comfier ride. Unfortunately a wider tire means more area for goatheads to puncture, but the tubeless tires have held up pretty well so far. Fingers crossed.
How do you like the Corsa Evo 25s? I have some and was considering buying a pair of 28s instead for the plusher ride. Have they been flat prone on your experience?
Old 09-30-21, 02:09 PM
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1

Bikes: Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
I really like Veloflex tires. I rode their tubulars for years and found them to be well built, light, and fast.
The Corso EVOs I am riding now are TLR - tubeless. I have not had any issues with punctures or flats. So far tubeless tires have lived up to their designed performance.
The 25C tires are fast, and the 28C tires offer a more plush ride. I am not too sensitive to whether they are faster or slower as I don't ride to race, but purely for pleasure. I will be swapping between them (they are on separate identical wheelsets) over the next year to see which ones I prefer. I ride on roads and paths with lots of weather caused joints and so I might end up preferring the wider tires simply because they offer a more comfortable ride.
Likes For TheRealDrPhil:
Old 10-01-21, 06:59 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealDrPhil
I really like Veloflex...
For years Veloflex Masters were the only tires I would ride on my wannabe-go-fast bikes but I got over it. I still have a pair of unbelievably light Record skinnies I used for a bragging rights thing, sitting in my extra parts bin...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 10-09-21, 12:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Just bought a couple of Charge Spoon saddles as they are back in stock at RG. Also got a new KMC K1SL (formerly K710SL) 1/8" black chain.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-09-21, 01:29 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Also

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-13-21, 09:14 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Continental Grand Prix 5000 700x28c. Daily special on biketiresdirect 40% off msrp of $79.95 ($47.97) and free shipping because it's backordered. It's going on the rear wheel of my Dolan Pre Cursa to replace a 700x25c, which I'll switch to the front wheel. The current front tire is a very old Continental Grand Prix 4000 700X23c, which I'll retire. All this to soften the ride a bit.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 10-14-21, 07:53 AM
Gnolo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dia compe Goldfinger brake handle and MX883 front calipers in gold 😅
Old 10-19-21, 10:27 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
I've been yearning for a better way to interface with the crank bolts on these bikes as my rickety ratchet set has been causing me increasing amounts of grief to the point of despair... And then suddenly we discover the Park Crank Bolt Wrench and the world suddenly feels much more manageable...
Likes For ethet:
Old 10-20-21, 02:24 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

^^^^ The problem with that wrench is that you cannot apply a measured torque when tightening the bolt.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 10-21-21, 06:43 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The problem with that wrench is that you cannot apply a measured torque when tightening the bolt.
'Measured torque' is irrelevant, silly goose. These are square-tapered traditional track bikes we're working on.
Old 10-21-21, 06:50 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by ethet
'Measured torque' is irrelevant, silly goose. These are square-tapered traditional track bikes we're working on.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 10-21-21, 06:56 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Explain your confusion, please.
Old 10-21-21, 07:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Explain your confusion, please.
Are you suggesting that torque is irrelevant when tightening square taper crankarms ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 10-21-21, 07:22 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Every single keirin cyclist in Japan would love to know your ideas on 'measured torque' when it comes to installing their cranks.

Enlighten us all on how that is achieved and to what standard we should aspire to.
Well, here in the West we use something called a torque wrench and use values recommended by the manufacturer. For example, Sugino recommends 40-50 Nm for their 75 NJS cranks.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 10-21-21, 07:29 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Well, here in the West
Acknowledged.
Old 11-03-21, 01:45 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
After 12 weeks I finally got a tracking number for my tubular wheels with Paul hubs. I'm really kind of tired of tanwall tires, they only look good new so I ordered these 26mm Panaracer's. They're only $70/pair and I bought two pairs.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 11-04-21, 10:15 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Lazyass
After 12 weeks I finally got a tracking number for my tubular wheels with Paul hubs. I'm really kind of tired of tanwall tires, they only look good new so I ordered these 26mm Panaracer's. They're only $70/pair and I bought two pairs.

I have these, in slick, in 26mm. They run slightly narrow (closer to 25 in my experience), but are a fantastic value. Good puncture resistance and road feel for the money. Much better than paselas in my opinion.
Old 11-05-21, 01:14 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Senrab62
I have these, in slick, in 26mm. They run slightly narrow (closer to 25 in my experience), but are a fantastic value.
Yeah I wanted something with high tpi, light but with a good puncture belt but I don't like spending a hundred bucks for a tubular tire. A good thing about tubulars is you can always find high end tires on sale. Is yours the clincher or tubular version?
Old 11-05-21, 09:13 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah I wanted something with high tpi, light but with a good puncture belt but I don't like spending a hundred bucks for a tubular tire. A good thing about tubulars is you can always find high end tires on sale. Is yours the clincher or tubular version?
Ugh, literacy is not my strength, apparently. I do have panaracer tubs, but not in this model. I find their tubulars run true to size and are of excellent quality. Beautiful part of tubulars is, as you mentioned, super high end can be had for bargains compared to their clincher counterparts.
Old 11-09-21, 02:59 AM
Lazyass

Bryton Rider 10 and a stem mount with a go pro attachment so I don't have to clamp my headlight on the bars. My rides usually start before sunrise. I have a higher end Bryton Rider 530 on another bike but I wanted a smaller and cheaper one for the Wabi.

Old 11-09-21, 03:07 AM
Lazyass

And after years of telling myself to get some proper winter shoes and stop messing with booties, toe covers, two layers of socks, ect I just got these Lake's. Good for rain rides as well.

Old 11-09-21, 02:31 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Just decided to get back in to the hobby after a while, picked up an old road bike for $60, not bad, then I had to spend about $100 on tools which feels iffy but hey I have some fancy Park tools now and I can change all the freewheels and cup/cone bottom brackets I want...
Old 11-09-21, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoninohio
Just decided to get back in to the hobby after a while, picked up an old road bike for $60, not bad, then I had to spend about $100 on tools which feels iffy but hey I have some fancy Park tools now and I can change all the freewheels and cup/cone bottom brackets I want...
Buying quality tools should not feel iffy at all. Good tools will last a long time and won't strip or damage components easily (unless you decide to do so) Park stuff is decent and certainly a lot of tool they make are excellent for the hobbyist and home mechanic who wants something decent but not expensive as well as a bunch of more professional tools for a shop. I have spent $100 on a single tool (and more) and honestly didn't feel iffy, my wallet doesn't always like it but I don't have to buy that tool again at least not for a long time. Only rich people have money for cheap tools. The bike might have cost less then the tools but the tools go well beyond that bike and the knowledge gathered can be quite useful down the road and can be quite profitable.

A good bicycle mechanic with a thirst for knowledge and a will to change and adapt is always needed in the industry. We have enough stale grumpy mechanics who don't want to learn and don't want to better themselves or refuse to work on stuff not because it is unsafe or dangerous but they just don't want to learn how to do it.
Old 11-09-21, 08:02 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Buying quality tools should not feel iffy at all. Good tools will last a long time and won't strip or damage components easily (unless you decide to do so) Park stuff is decent and certainly a lot of tool they make are excellent for the hobbyist and home mechanic who wants something decent but not expensive as well as a bunch of more professional tools for a shop. I have spent $100 on a single tool (and more) and honestly didn't feel iffy, my wallet doesn't always like it but I don't have to buy that tool again at least not for a long time. Only rich people have money for cheap tools. The bike might have cost less then the tools but the tools go well beyond that bike and the knowledge gathered can be quite useful down the road and can be quite profitable.

A good bicycle mechanic with a thirst for knowledge and a will to change and adapt is always needed in the industry. We have enough stale grumpy mechanics who don't want to learn and don't want to better themselves or refuse to work on stuff not because it is unsafe or dangerous but they just don't want to learn how to do it.
Thanks for the thoughts and I totally agree; I am just a hobbyist, but the thing of what I was saying that you wouldn't know from my brief post is that I previously had a very decent bike tool kit and a bunch of accessories and whatnot and a fleet of misfit fixie conversions, then several years ago I had some kind of nervous breakdown and gave everything away to a co-op and just stopped riding until just now, so now I'm like OK I guess we're back in to it, I actually got a great deal on a Spin Doctor "Complete Tool Kit" which covered BB puller, chain breaker, cable cutter, spoke wrenches, cone wrenches, 36/32mm headset wrenches, plus whatever else is in that kit for $50, and then the stuff that kit doesn't have is the 2-notch freewheel tool, BB pin spanner and lockring tool, and tire levers, ordered those from performance for about another $50, so I'm actually pretty good now for that $100 in tools.

The bike is a Giant Allegre with Suntour GPX that I happened upon and just couldn't pass up in the moment, which for $60 with good components if I'm $300 in to it in the end that is totally fine, it's a cool kind of underrated late 80s/early 90s race bike, but now what do I just never use the FR-2 again or do I need to find more 80s refurb projects...??? Haha who knows (Also re: being in for $300, I'm gonna keep all the original stuff hopefully but I will be getting new chain, cables/housing, tires/tubes, and bar tape, so that's gonna end up being like another $120 or so)

Last edited by jasoninohio; 11-09-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-30-21, 10:33 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

Just got one of these for my fixed gear. It's a skull bell. Doom metal is what I'm all about. ☠

Just in case you're interested:

https://www.suck.uk.com/products/skull-bike-bell/

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-30-21 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For GhenghisKahn:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.