Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon vybe folding bike chain guard?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 07:27 PM
mogulman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I bought a Dahon Vybe city bike from someone. It's got a Shimano Tourney 7 speed rear derailleur with gripshift type shifting. The front cog seems like it might be a 36t, 110bcd. I called Dahon, and based on the serial number they told me it was a 2006.

Anyway. I noticed the chain would fall off the front cog (towards the inside) when the rear was on the biggest or 2nd biggest cogs on the cassette.

I tried to find a 2006 image, but didnt fine one. I think it's missing some kind of chain guard. I did notice there is a metal plate type piece on a bracket that was at an angle near the front, so I rotated it around so it was parallel to the front cog and as close as possible to the cog.

Just wondering if there is another chain guard that should be on there or that would be better. I called Thor and he didn't seem to have the chain guard that was made for this bike.

He mentioned using a Tern Mainstay.

Anyway. Anyone know what was on this originally? Should I get another chain guard? Any generic versions or should I get that mainstay?

​​​
Old 12-20-21, 10:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
You could try a ThirdEye Chain-Watcher. I don't know if it will accommodate the wider seat-tube of a folding bicycle or not. It has some adjustment in this regard though.

The one I use on my Dahon is the one that came with the bicycle so, I'm surprised that Thor didn't have any.

One thing that might help you is to not look for a "chain guard". That term usually refers to a different device that serves a different function. Try "chain catcher" instead. Thor might not have known what you really wanted. Describe to him what the issue is that you want to address.

You might want to use a chainring-guard too, to make sure that the chain-catcher doesn't push the chain off the outside of the chainring.. My bicycle came with both of these items. Driveline makes good chainring-guards. Thor might have some original Dahon ones.

Last edited by Nyah; 12-20-21 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-21-21, 06:36 AM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike had a chain watcher type device. It isn't the third eye device. It's got a metal piece that goes close to the chain. Maybe just positioning it correctly is good enough.

That Tern Mainstay device seems like it may be even better, assuming I can install it. I ordered one to try it out.
Old 12-21-21, 05:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
My wife's '08 Mu has this chain guide:

I see some similar generics on eBay and even some 3D-printed ones offered.
Old 12-22-21, 11:15 AM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are the photos of the current setup, after I adjusted the existing chain guide. Not sure if this is original, or if I should add more.

Old 12-22-21, 12:52 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogulman
Here are the photos of the current setup, after I adjusted the existing chain guide. Not sure if this is original, or if I should add more.
That looks to be an N-Gear Jump Stop. It's probably not original to the bicycle but should serve your purpose.
Old 12-22-21, 02:08 PM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I'm guessing these folding bikes all need something like this. I just didn't have it placed correctly (learning). I guess I'll try it for a while and see if I need to use the Tern Mainstay instead. It seems like they are redundant, but the Tern may help inward and outward movement.

Should I still look for a chain guard for the main forward cog? If so....will any 110 BCD 44t work? or do I need to find one that is 36t? 36T 110BCD seems hard to find.

Last edited by mogulman; 12-22-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-22-21, 02:23 PM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I could order this from ALIexpress? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001379938657.html
Old 12-22-21, 04:13 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Not all folders need one. I have the Vybe without one and never drop the chain. My other Dahons, Airnimal, and Zizzos ( I'm starting to think I have an illness) ride fine without one. I suspect adjusting the rear derailleur will correct the issue. I beat the hell out of my Vybe and the thing is a tank. Even some light offroading. If that adjustment works that's great, but something else is off to cause it.
Old 12-22-21, 04:18 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Often times having the chain come off is indicative of other problems. You may over-ride the symptom by devices like this. Just say. I have had a loose derailler and that caused a chain throw going over a bump.
Old 12-22-21, 04:31 PM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah... my first thought was to adjust the b-screw because the chain seemed loose. Unfortunately this tourney derailleur doesn't even have a B-Screw. I guess we could take a link or two out of the chain.
Old 12-22-21, 11:12 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mogulman
So I'm guessing these folding bikes all need something like this.
Tossing the chain is common on rear-derailleur-only geartrains (a.k.a. '1x'). Even with the stiff, heavy chains and clunky derailleurs back in the day, this problem was manifest by the late 1920s...and, alas, rediscovered every few years since. Rebour illustration of the recently invented chain guide from 1933:

The most common OEM solution over the decades has been to fit a front derailleur and a second chainwheel. You know, duh. Modern 1x bikepacking bikes use clutched rear derailleurs and trick thick-thin toothed chainwheels to fix the issue.

Fit a chain guide.

Last edited by tcs; 12-22-21 at 11:17 PM.