Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Am I a gravel poser using 35mm tires?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Am I a gravel poser using 35mm tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 01:39 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I also run 35c tires as that is the max my bike can take. So far there have been very few cases when I was unhappy on it .. one time I got on some muddy rooty single track and wished for a bit more then. I have had some other times when the ride got a bit rough when the rocks got big, and I recently got some tire inserts so I could run really low pressures the next time I am on stuff like that. For pretty much everything else 35c is great, and you will have a bit more speed on the easy stuff so there is an upside.

Currently I have no plans for a dedicated gravel bike but who knows where I will be in a few years.
what tires you running
​​​I have used Ritchey cx max...not my favorite and Panarace Pasesla or something 35mm...ride well comfy. min. grip treads
Old 01-06-22, 01:50 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Currently I am running Conti Terra Speed 35c.. a good trade-off of speed vs grip for nearly all the conditions I am in.
Old 01-06-22, 04:24 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I think the ultimate deciding question is this - do your tires have tan sidewalls?
Likes For autonomy:
Old 01-08-22, 02:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
my love of the do everything bike is limited by tire size.
i have a cx bike that only can handle the max of 35mm tires.
​thus far works well but compared to a modern gravel bike running 45-50 dare i call it a graveler.....
I run primarily 700cx38 on my newer Diverge (though I’ve got 650bx50…measuring 54mm when inflated), and 32s (measuring 35 when inflated) on my older one. Both see lots of gravel. I’ll fight someone who says I’m not graveling on those tires.
Old 01-08-22, 02:26 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I think the ultimate deciding question is this - do your tires have tan sidewalls?
All of them.
Old 01-11-22, 09:21 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
All of them.
Welcome, please go to the membership services tent for your flannel shirt!
Likes For autonomy:
Old 01-11-22, 09:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
​thus far works well but compared to a modern gravel bike running 45-50 dare i call it a graveler.....
NO. And don’t let anybody call you poser if you are on the bike rolling along you are a biker. Anyways I have cruised many miies on 35s and 38s and 40s. Find what is best for you and the terrain you ride on. Once a Jeep road gets very rough to me that is MTB territory so I’m a fake gravel grinder lol.
Old 01-11-22, 10:33 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Dont buy into the hype. Most of the lead or faster riders Ive seen are riding skinnier tires, like 28s or 30s. Of course skill level has a lot to do with it and that most of the trails are packed dirt/gravel and only shorter segments require wider tires or skill to pick a line thru the area.
Old 01-19-22, 02:39 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
The fasest kid in my area uses 35mm tires, while everyone else uses at minimum 38s. Of course he's 140lbs so I feel like he's already cheating lol.
Old 02-09-22, 04:43 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
I ride gravel/trails with a few CX racers that use 33c and they manage better than most riders on 42+. They reckon in muddy conditions (common here in Scotland!) their narrower tyres cut through to the grippier surface below the mud better than on wider rubber. Same in autumn (fall) where carpets of leaves on the forest trails are harder to navigate on wider tyres than on say 33c CX tyres.
Old 02-09-22, 10:53 PM
GregLast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Payson McElveen finished first at 2020 Mid South on 35c slicks if I remember correctly. Ride the tires that makes sense to you.
Old 02-09-22, 11:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...a modern gravel bike running 45-50 dare i call it a graveler.....
I get ya... It was not long ago Mountain Bikes were running the tires used on Gravelers today. What do ya call a bike traveling down an over grown to the point of single track, torn up asphalt, gravely path? Its called a Gravel Bike, no matter what kind of tires it has on it.

Before I became more selective in my routes there were many times my road bike would accidentally turn into a Graveler after a wrong turn.

So we have formal gravel bikes set up perfectly for gravel that oddly look like our old Mountain Bikes with modern components on them.

Then we have our vintage old school usually CroMo touring frames where slowly worn out, broken, and stressed parts, have been replaced with more durable components and of course wider tiers. The Franken Gravel Bike...

I don't really know what ya call a certain bike or bike type anymore. And some people are pretty selective in thier bikes and what class they fit.

I do know that all my bikes are Franken Bikes and they are all enjoyably rideable... By me...

Last edited by zandoval; 02-09-22 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 03:22 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Before gravel riding was a Thing™ I used to ride 23s on Vermont's rutted gravel roads in mud season. If I had something wider I might have chosen it, but 23s will work.

Currently, I'm running Gravel King 35 (actual measurement closer to 37mm) slicks on my RB-T it's set up as a randonneur with "french fender clearances" of around 3mm. Also not ideal but I want the widest tires I can run and I want fenders, so this is what you get. I've ridden several gravel rides including some single track, and the tires have been up for everything I've thrown at them. I even ran this bike in a Cyclocross race with the fenders stripped off. I did crash once on some muddy single track, probably due to the tight fender clearance and some muddy leaves jamming between the front tire and fender. I would like wider tires, but I don't feel the 37mm width is inadequate. I do lose traction on wet grass and mud, so the slick road tread is more of a problem than the width, but I don't think it's EVER been a problem on a gravel road.

I run 35s because they are the widest thing I can fit on any bike I own. I was really enjoying riding gravel and trails more and more on the RB-T last fall and I'm wanting to do a lot more of it this spring, so I'm planning to get a bike better suited to that kind of riding, including clearance for wider tires. There is a lot to like about wide tires as I'm coming to appreciate, but 35s can be very capable on gravel and quite adequate off-road if you're not trying to win any races. If you like 'em, run 'em!
Old 02-10-22, 03:26 PM
vacyclist68

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro(95); Jamis Renagade Gravel Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh please, "Poser" no. Depending on gravel you might just need 35s. I ride a Jamis and my tires range from 28-44. It just depends on how big the rocks or steepness. Currently running 32s for my commute to work as I have half gravel and half road. Here in Virginia many of the gravel roads do perfect with 32-35 tires. So no you're not a Poser.