Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many group rides per week

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How many group rides per week

Old 01-13-22, 10:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Returning to the original question, you need to define your goals. If you just want to ride in the fast group rides, then do that. If you want to win races, you need more specific training, like structured workouts and base miles NOT done at high power.
I want to win spectrum, don't really want to race yet because there are tons of strong but inexperienced cat 5s and 6s out here, the practice crit was sketchy.
Old 01-13-22, 10:36 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Zero. Closest group rides are 12 miles away.
Figured I would need to ride an hour there and back plus the ride itself makes for a long day.
Too much living life that gets in the way of cycling.
Old 01-13-22, 10:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I want to win spectrum, don't really want to race yet because there are tons of strong but inexperienced cat 5s and 6s out here, the practice crit was sketchy.
Larry, a group ride is not a race, no matter how fast they're going. And you can't seriously be talking about Cat 6 racing...?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-22, 10:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
been sober this week. One day at a time
I don't know the back story, if you're an alcoholic or just want to stop for training, but when I quit drinking the hardest thing to think about was that I could never drink again. I actually kept going to the bar and hung out with the same people so it wouldn't be such a shock.
I was very sick and knew I had to quit so that was an incentive. It's been more than 30 years since I had a drop.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-13-22, 10:50 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Larry, a group ride is not a race, no matter how fast they're going. And you can't seriously be talking about Cat 6 racing...?
By cat 6 I meant there were lots of strong people where this was their first race, so not even cat 5s. I don't want to ride in the 4/5 field when I could just ride with the cat 1s in the local group rides. Winning sprint points on said rides would require at least a cat 2 level of fitness though
Old 01-13-22, 12:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Last weeks ride - you kept up with them for, what, 6 or 7 miles? But isn't the whole ride more like 30 or 40? I mean, kudos on keeping up with them, but to "win" would mean keeping up with them the whole way and then still having a crapload of watts left to throw down at the end. You won't get that just from riding with them.

The guys who "win Spectrum" do a lot of other training besides group rides. Structured training, base miles, etc. Spectrum isn't that hard for them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-13-22, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

By cat 6 I meant there were lots of strong people where this was their first race, so not even cat 5s. I don't want to ride in the 4/5 field when I could just ride with the cat 1s in the local group rides. Winning sprint points on said rides would require at least a cat 2 level of fitness though
Dude. It's not just fitness. It's bikehandling, tactics, SPECIFIC fitness, etc. If you can't beat Cat 4/5s, you're not any better than they are. This is why I don't race IRL - I don't trust MY bikehandling in a crowd, let alone everyone else's. I'm too old to break bones because somebody else crashes and I go down as a result.

Old 01-13-22, 12:26 PM
LarrySellerz

Dude. It's not just fitness. It's bikehandling, tactics, SPECIFIC fitness, etc. If you can't beat Cat 4/5s, you're not any better than they are. This is why I don't race IRL - I don't trust MY bikehandling in a crowd, let alone everyone else's. I'm too old to break bones because somebody else crashes and I go down as a result.
Ooh I know, I'm not saying I'm any better or suggesting that I'm close to winning spectrum. I just don't want to race in cat 4/5 right now because I really don't want to crash. I can learn tactics and skills on the group rides. Need to wheelsuck harder.
I think spectrum is 60 miles
Old 01-13-22, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ooh I know, I'm not saying I'm any better or suggesting that I'm close to winning spectrum. I just don't want to race in cat 4/5 right now because I really don't want to crash. I can learn tactics and skills on the group rides. Need to wheelsuck harder.
I think spectrum is 60 miles
Yeah, that's a far piece! I can ride 60 miles. I can't ride 60 miles at that speed, even with all that draft. But I don't like riding in groups, anyhow, and I actually LOVE the kind of riding you say is too boring!

You might look into any workshops on bikehandling for racing that local clubs sponsor. Things like practicing bumping without falling, or cornering, or pack riding tactics. Things like the bump drills, they do on soft, grassy areas, so that WHEN you fall it doesn't hurt.

Old 01-13-22, 12:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Not sure if this is about group rides, racing or recovery from substances. Let me know and I'll move this to the right area.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-13-22, 04:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Yeah, that's a far piece! I can ride 60 miles. I can't ride 60 miles at that speed, even with all that draft. But I don't like riding in groups, anyhow, and I actually LOVE the kind of riding you say is too boring!

You might look into any workshops on bikehandling for racing that local clubs sponsor. Things like practicing bumping without falling, or cornering, or pack riding tactics. Things like the bump drills, they do on soft, grassy areas, so that WHEN you fall it doesn't hurt.
yeah I'm doing the early bird practice crit series. People are paying for me to do it because I'm poor, such nice people.
Old 01-13-22, 04:13 PM
Koyote

There is no Cat 6, actually. I mean that is literally not a racing category. Are we clear on that?
Old 01-13-22, 04:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Not sure if this is about group rides, racing or recovery from substances. Let me know and I'll move this to the right area.
The "Addiction" thread?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-13-22, 05:04 PM
LarrySellerz

There is no Cat 6, actually. I mean that is literally not a racing category. Are we clear on that?
Sure, but there are still plenty of super strong cat 6s. Heck, on the waver I signed to enter a practice crit I put "cat 6" when it asked what category of racing I was entering.
Old 01-13-22, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

When you say, "Cat 6" you're basically saying non-racers, right? Which is everyone else.

Old 01-13-22, 05:14 PM
LarrySellerz

When you say, "Cat 6" you're basically saying non-racers, right? Which is everyone else.
yeah there were tons of strong young dudes who don't race. Was cool to see, but kind of sketchy, I can't crash right now because of my neck. Also can't stay in my drops for more than 10 minutes which kind of sucks. Damn neck.
Old 01-13-22, 05:16 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by thermionicscott
the "addiction" thread?
nononononono!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-13-22, 05:26 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You've never had someone pull a Cat 6 on you? Tell me you didn't slide the lever forward and rise on the saddle just a little.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-13-22, 05:36 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’ve got nothing to add but just wanted to get in on this thread somehow.
Old 01-13-22, 06:02 PM
Koyote

Sure, but there are still plenty of super strong cat 6s. Heck, on the waver I signed to enter a practice crit I put "cat 6" when it asked what category of racing I was entering.
There is no Cat 6.
Old 01-13-22, 06:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Larry, when you wrecked on the crit, were you alone or did you take some others with you?
Ooh nobody wrecked, I meant I quickly found myself near the back and a group of us got pulled early (we hopped back in next lap.) my group skills are actually better than my fitness right now because of how much group riding I do.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-16-22, 01:17 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
There is no Cat 6.
  1. No poofters.
  2. No member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abos in any way whatsoever—if there's anyone watching.
  3. No poofters.
  4. I don't want to catch anyone not drinking in their room after lights out.
  5. No poofters.
  6. There is no rule six.
  7. No poofters.
Those guys who were engaged in the practice of racing are not racers some how they were just random people who got swept up in the moment and happened to be on their bikes and happened to be registered for the race they were racing in but they aren't racers.
Old 01-16-22, 06:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
yeah there were tons of strong young dudes who don't race. Was cool to see, but kind of sketchy, I can't crash right now because of my neck. Also can't stay in my drops for more than 10 minutes which kind of sucks. Damn neck.
Larry apparently does understand that there is no official "Category 6" and that that's a joke term used by licensed racers to smear unskilled new would-be racers. Hard to tell from his ambiguous replies to Koyote's and genejockey's requests for clarification, though.

That said, much as I hate to think I'm encouraging anyone's participating in outlaw we-own-the-road jackass behavior like the Spectrum ride, if Larry truly has learned how to handle himself safely in the pack, he might be able to hang longer by riding smarter. In particular, since he's probably one of the heavier riders there, he should move toward the front of the pack on flat and downhill terrain and then slowly filter back toward the tail end of the group on the climbs.
Old 01-16-22, 11:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Larry apparently does understand that there is no official "Category 6" and that that's a joke term used by licensed racers to smear unskilled new would-be racers. Hard to tell from his ambiguous replies to Koyote's and genejockey's requests for clarification, though.

That said, much as I hate to think I'm encouraging anyone's participating in outlaw we-own-the-road jackass behavior like the Spectrum ride, if Larry truly has learned how to handle himself safely in the pack, he might be able to hang longer by riding smarter. In particular, since he's probably one of the heavier riders there, he should move toward the front of the pack on flat and downhill terrain and then slowly filter back toward the tail end of the group on the climbs.
ive been going to crit race clinics the past 2 weeks, went today and got destroyed again but I'm blaming my legs for being tired. Did 345 miles this week which is a ton for me. Still a long ways away from keeping up with the A riders.
Old 01-17-22, 12:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
... I'm blaming my legs for being tired.
My guess is your legs are blaming you.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.