Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need your help, what is this called?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-24-22, 12:26 PM
passive jay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

I recently replaced my stock front fork with a dual spring front fork. The issue I have run into is that the fender no longer has a place to bolt down to. Most of the pictures I have seen of bicycles using this style of front fork do not use a front fender at all, but I have seen a couple that do. As far as I can tell from the picture instead of having one strut reaching down to the hub area and the other end secured to the fork they have two struts reaching down to the hub. My problem is I have no clue what that style is called so it is hard to google for it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 02-24-22, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,262 Times in 7,220 Posts
What picture?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-22, 02:03 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What pictures?
Corrected.

And I agree. But I’ll guess so may be here will help.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-mudguard-review/
Old 02-24-22, 02:13 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by passive jay
The issue I have run into is that the fender no longer has a place to bolt down to.
There are many flexible plastic mud guard options that zip tie to a fork. Some even fasten into the empty hole of the neck bottom.
Old 02-24-22, 02:50 PM
passive jay

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What picture?
Old 02-24-22, 03:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
So your fender in this picture is not secured to the fork and is just balancing there? It looks secured with 2 separate mounting points.
Old 02-24-22, 03:15 PM
passive jay

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
So your fender in this picture is not secured to the fork and is just balancing there? It looks secured with 2 separate mounting points.
i have no clue, that is what I am asking. This is not my bike, it just has the same front fork, I am trying to figure out how they mounted the fender.
Old 02-24-22, 03:47 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
i have no clue, that is what I am asking. This is not my bike, it just has the same front fork, I am trying to figure out how they mounted the fender.
You can see two supports, one in front of the fork and one behind. What you can’t see is the center support which commonly uses a star nut driven into the steerer tube from the bottom. Line up the fender, drill a hole, and use a button head screw from underneath.
Old 02-24-22, 04:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
You can see two supports, one in front of the fork and one behind. What you can’t see is the center support which commonly uses a star nut driven into the steerer tube from the bottom. Line up the fender, drill a hole, and use a button head screw from underneath.
Yes, I think that is the proper solution. Here’s the OP’s fork below; there is no brake bolt hole in the fork crown, so the idea to set a star nut into the steerer tube from the bottom, and drilling the fender for a bolt to fix into the star nut makes sense. It looks like fender struts can be mounted on the fork linkage bolts, though they may need Delrin washers (and longer bolts to accomodate the strut and washers) to prevent binding the linkage when retightened.

Old 02-24-22, 04:14 PM
passive jay

lol, i am starting to see why most people do not use a fender with this fork.
Likes For passive jay:
Old 02-24-22, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What a fascinating problem. There's no way to mount it to the fork crown or the spring stays without something binding as it moves. You would have to have the stays mounted only to the link, that is the only way to keep it on center with the hub. I think that's why the example further up has two pairs of stays - it has to. There's not a ton of clearance even just for the travel much less for the fender.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-25-22, 01:02 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Yes I agree with above. A star nut would provide a fastening point. Need the correct size and care drilling the fender hole. I think a 1 inch may work and saw one on Amazon. link below with picture. To find the hole location in the finder I’d take a scrap D cut off the head. Then sharpen to a point. Thread it in so the point sticks out. Raise finder up agains it and tap the underside of the fender so the point makes a mark. There are other ways.

Dia Compe 1" Headset Star NUT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GSQ73Q...53V8ZGTBTCM5RQ
Old 02-25-22, 04:23 AM
passive jay

thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 02-25-22, 07:14 AM
Moles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If the OP is looking for the style of fender pictured, a star nut into the bottom of the fork would be a bad plan.

Because of the suspension design, the wheel axle will be moving closer to the steerer tube every time the suspension is activated. The two support struts will then be crushed.

Besides, why not just go with an expanding plug which wouldn't be as permanent?
Likes For Moles:
Old 02-25-22, 07:18 AM
biker128pedal

Originally Posted by Moles
If the OP is looking for the style of fender pictured, a star nut into the bottom of the fork would be a bad plan.

Because of the suspension design, the wheel axle will be moving closer to the steerer tube every time the suspension is activated. The two support struts will then be crushed.

Ah yes good point. It has to float and pivot on the two points. I take back what I said. It has to float.
Old 02-25-22, 08:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Moles

Ah, yes…I think you’re right, too! That’s why the pic of the fendered bike has two pairs of front struts, fore and aft. Also the idea to use an expansion plug is good, not least because it would be easier to install.
Old 03-01-22, 01:45 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but can't P-Clamps be used if there are no attachment points?