Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quickest floor pump?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quickest floor pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 05:43 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Quickest floor pump?

I have a Bontrager Turbocharger HP pump - it works okay, I've always felt it requires a lot of strokes to get the job done.

Is there something that's famous for being the quickest floor pump?

Thanks!

-Edit- ideally something that's in current production that can be bought new.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 03-13-22 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-13-22, 05:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Out of production- Zefal Double Shot, the blue one. Pumps on both the up and down strokes. Andy
Old 03-13-22, 05:59 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
From the Trek site:
Turbo Charger HP gets you on the bike with the right pressure faster with a piston bore customized for easier high-pressure inflation
The diameter and stroke distance of the pump define its performance; everything is a tradeoff. Pumps that have an easier stroke require more of them, while pumps that push a lot of air each stoke require more effort per stroke. Pumps that support high pressures (e.g. your pump and most road bike specific pumps) tend to be in the former group because once you get above 80-90 psi, the force per stroke becomes considerable.

If you want to inflate faster, look for a pump designed for mountain bikes, but keep in mind that pressures over 80 psi will be a workout.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-13-22, 07:29 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You gotta have a serious lack of free time if you're looking for a fast pump.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-13-22, 07:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
I'm always shocked at how much quicker my Zefal Alaskan dual-stage pump gets a tire to pressure vs. the single-stage floor pump I have - like >25% of the strokes. The catch is you have to work the pump handle both down and up. The Alaskan has been discontinued.

The Topeak Twin Turbo is another dual-stage pump.

Note 1: Topeak offers other floor pumps they advertise as dual-stage, but they are really two-mode pumps.
Note 2: If I'm at home, my air compressor inflates much faster than the Alaskan.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-13-22, 07:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The tradeoff for hand pumps is pressure vs volume; a high-volume pump may not be able to achieve sufficient pressure.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-13-22, 08:33 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Is there something that's famous for being the quickest floor pump?
If this is something you only plan to use only at home, you may want to think about a shop compressor with a Park Tool INF-2, believe me nothing will be faster.

On roadtrips, I'm happy with whatever I packed last minute and threw it in the van.

Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-14-22, 03:27 AM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
From the Trek site:

The diameter and stroke distance of the pump define its performance; everything is a tradeoff. Pumps that have an easier stroke require more of them, while pumps that push a lot of air each stoke require more effort per stroke. Pumps that support high pressures (e.g. your pump and most road bike specific pumps) tend to be in the former group because once you get above 80-90 psi, the force per stroke becomes considerable.

If you want to inflate faster, look for a pump designed for mountain bikes, but keep in mind that pressures over 80 psi will be a workout.
So you think what I have is about as good a balance between effort and speed as I'm going to find in a floor pump? The tires in both my bikes go to 80 psi.
Old 03-14-22, 07:12 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
So you think what I have is about as good a balance between effort and speed as I'm going to find in a floor pump? The tires in both my bikes go to 80 psi.
Yep, probably. You'd likely spend more time searching for a marginally faster pump than you're spending using your current pump.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-14-22, 08:42 AM
tcs
Palmer

The diameter and stroke distance of the pump define its performance...
Topeak has a double-barrel pump. You use both barrels to quickly pump to relatively low pressures with low effort, then lock out the small diameter barrel to pump to moderate pressures, and finally open the small diameter barrel and lock out the large diameter barrel to pump to track pressures.

This is different from the dual stage pumps I mentioned in post 5, where the large diameter cylinder supercharges the small diameter cylinder which in turn pumps into the tire.
Old 03-14-22, 09:28 AM
soyabean

You'd likely spend more time searching for a marginally faster pump than you're spending using your current pump.
Agreed.

The OP may not realize atmospheric physics is in play, and no magic manual pump will create free energy.

Human power watts going in makes air pressure and cfm volume coming out. There's little to cheat around that.

When it comes to a dedicated air compressor for just bikes, any tiny oiless one will do, like the pancake ones for nail guns. Your local Harbor Freight store can have them on sale below $50, watch those flyers. Or buy used.

You don't need something fancy as the INF-2, it's more of a showoff piece to impress walk-in customers. The simple tire chuck included with the compressor is fine and is how folks have been doing it for the past 100 years.

Don't confuse air compressors, which store readily air in a tank, vs air inflators, which create tiny pulses of air on the fly and are god awfully slower than a manual pump.

Once you get your first air compressor, you realize all the other neat things you can do with it, like blowing water away off cassettes and chain for quick dry.

Old 03-14-22, 12:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by soyabean
The OP may not realize atmospheric physics is in play, and no magic manual pump will create free energy.

Human power watts going in makes air pressure and cfm volume coming out. There's little to cheat around that.
Recall the OP didn't ask about the lowest input energy pump. The OP asked

"Is there something that's famous for being the quickest floor pump?"

A true multi-stage pump is demonstrably faster.

Back, oh, a hundred years ago or so, if your Model T had a flat, you patched it much the way we patch tubed bike tires today. Then you pumped the tire back up to pressure. Model T tires don't have the volume of modern car tires, but they have significantly more volume than bike tires. Pumping them up by hand (on the road, in the 1920s) took a while, so pumps were introduced to speed the process. Here's a Victor 'Half-a-Minute' triple-stage pump of that era:

Likes For tcs:
Old 03-14-22, 02:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

I have a Bontrager Turbocharger HP pump - it works okay, I've always felt it requires a lot of strokes to get the job done.
How's your piston gasket?

In the old days, we'd put a few drops of Neatsfoot Oil down the barrel to keep the leather gasket soft, pliable and efficiently sealing on the downstroke. If the leather gasket dried out, the pump would become quite a bit less efficient due to 'blow by'. Dunno about Bontrager or synthetic seals.

Last edited by tcs; 03-14-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 04:56 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by tcs
Recall the OP didn't ask about the lowest input energy pump. The OP asked "Is there something that's famous for being the quickest floor pump?"
Just like majority of car owners who have no idea how they can inflate their tires at home and think the only way is the coin pump at the gas station, many think they must use a manual pump for their bikes.

My answer gives more options for the DIY that wants the absolute fastest and easiest that is also realistically possible for all wallets.

Nothing beats a shop compressor, the INF-2 is proof.
Old 03-14-22, 10:46 PM
MyRedTrek

Originally Posted by tcs
Topeak has a double-barrel pump. You use both barrels to quickly pump to relatively low pressures with low effort, then lock out the small diameter barrel to pump to moderate pressures, and finally open the small diameter barrel and lock out the large diameter barrel to pump to track pressures.

This is different from the dual stage pumps I mentioned in post 5, where the large diameter cylinder supercharges the small diameter cylinder which in turn pumps into the tire.
Have you ever used one? It says to use both barrels to go to 60 psi, then the larger barrel to 120psi. Most of the pumping I do is to top off say from 70 - 75 psi to the tire rating of 80, so it doesn't sound like I'd be gaining much over what I have now. I wonder how hard it would be to go to 80 with both barrels? I would say I'm stronger than the average person.
Old 03-15-22, 08:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

My answer...
Which was the same as my answer in post 5: at home, air compressor!
Old 03-17-22, 06:09 AM
MyRedTrek

Once you get your first air compressor, you realize all the other neat things you can do with it, like blowing water away off cassettes and chain for quick dry.
I have a small like 2 1/2 gal or so Harbor Freight compressor I use to inflate car tires but you have to fire it up, wait for it to pressurize to bike tire pressure - an overall slower process. Plus the neighbors aren't going to be happy if I fire it up for a wee hours ride

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 03-17-22 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-17-22, 06:50 AM
soyabean

I have a small like 2 1/2 gal or so Harbor Freight compressor I used to inflate car tires but you have to fire it up, wait for it to pressurize to bike tire pressure - an overall slower process. Plus the neighbors aren't going to be happy if I fire it up for a wee hours ride
Oh I hear ya. That's why I have a 40 gal. shop compressor that always has air ready to use, and the neighbors don't really care since they come use it too and usually get free beers for it. But thanks for your concern.
Old 03-17-22, 10:37 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Out of production- Zefal Double Shot, the blue one. Pumps on both the up and down strokes. Andy
OP , check Ebay for it
Old 03-17-22, 10:48 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
If this is something you only plan to use only at home, you may want to think about a shop compressor with a Park Tool INF-2, believe me nothing will be faster.

On roadtrips, I'm happy with whatever I packed last minute and threw it in the van.

Was having to strain to get to 100psi with my floor pump - just got the Park INF-2 and a Craftsman 1 1/2 gallon compressor and now achieve that pressure in seconds - couldn't be happier - fortunately I had an 8mm hex to open the presta side on the Park inflator to take the valve - I'll use CO2 on the road but that only gets me to about 80psi and will have to top up when I get home .
Likes For blinky:
Old 03-17-22, 11:06 AM
soyabean

Originally Posted by blinky
Was having to strain to get to 100psi with my floor pump - just got the Park INF-2 and a Craftsman 1 1/2 gallon compressor and now achieve that pressure in seconds - couldn't be happier
Awesome.

I am happy that you are happier

Despite how happier you are, there are just some folks that are just never happy and complain.

I have a small like 2 1/2 gal or so Harbor Freight compressor I use to inflate car tires but you have to fire it up, wait for it to pressurize to bike tire pressure - an overall slower process. Plus the neighbors aren't going to be happy if I fire it up for a wee hours ride
Old 03-19-22, 03:43 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
I have a Bostitch 6 gallon pancake compressor at home, but using it would entail unwinding and winding a hose, so a floor pump is still faster (for bikes).

Maybe this will change when I install a hose reel.