Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Damaged bike during test ride - what would you do?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Damaged bike during test ride - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 04:24 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
What would Judge Wapner do?
I'm betting unless the OP did something unreasonable or neglectful Wapner would side with the OP. And the OP didn’t do anything unreasonable or neglectful in my opinion. But this would make a good People’s Court episode.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-16-22, 11:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Yes, except the OP did the right thing (possibly going well beyond) and presents as a moral agent and upstanding citizen, which makes for really bad "reality" TV.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-16-22, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I once test drove a private sale used car, and only discovered while it was moving that the brakes didn't work. Why the dashboard warning light didn't go on, I have no idea. The seller may have disabled the light for all I know. Fortunately, I didn't get up to any significant speed before I figured it out.
Old 03-16-22, 02:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I once test drove a private sale used car, and only discovered while it was moving that the brakes didn't work. Why the dashboard warning light didn't go on, I have no idea. The seller may have disabled the light for all I know. Fortunately, I didn't get up to any significant speed before I figured it out.
Well, according to some of the posters in this thread, you broke the brakes and were morally obligated to buy the car.
Old 03-16-22, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, according to some of the posters in this thread, you broke the brakes and were morally obligated to buy the car.

I ain't getting into that argument, but I'm pretty sure no one's saying that.
Old 03-16-22, 04:01 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
According the the law, the title to the bike still resides with the seller even though the seller gave permission to the buyer to test ride it. Under those circumstances the risk of loss remains with the seller. The parties could have agreed to reallocate the liability for the test ride to the buyer but they didn’t so the default rules remain in place.
Old 03-16-22, 04:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I ain't getting into that argument, but I'm pretty sure no one's saying that.
The more I read my first post in this thread, the more I realize it seems like I said that. Didn't mean to, though.
Old 03-16-22, 04:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The more I read my first post in this thread, the more I realize it seems like I said that. Didn't mean to, though.
Read it again! You really didn't say "you broke it; you bought it" (which one person literally said and another more-or-less said it). Your comment was more nuanced.

I have no idea how livedarklions missed post 2.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-16-22 at 04:30 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-16-22, 05:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I don't think you did, and I don't think my buying the car was implied in anyone's version of "you break it, you bought it".

I'm taking the op at face value, where there's a situation where the op really wasn't sure he didn't actually break it and I think it's quite possible that the seller's surrogate didn't know there was anything wrong with the bike so would probably think op did break it. In my situation, I knew I hadn't done anything wrong and I was quite sure the seller had to know how bad the car was. Frankly, I was pissed he'd knowingly put someone in danger like that.

TBH, the op's "dilemma" is pretty much a non-issue because he thought the price really wasn't too far off the value of the broken bike. This isn't like shattering pottery and paying full price, it's more like not getting a few bucks knocked off because of a mishap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-16-22, 06:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Bravo... You did the right thing. Hat's off ta ya...

You had no injuries other then the rear wheel on your new bike. Let's get ta fixing that bugger!!!
Old 03-17-22, 04:26 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I ended up just buying the bike at the agreed price, since that seemed the simplest solution, and I did really like the bike.
I think that's the crux of it, you liked the bike and price anyway.

It's a tough issue otherwise, as you likely exposed a defect on the ride which caused a lot of damage, and could potentially have been mitigated by testing the shifting out in advance. Generally I'd go with the person breaking it paying for it unless it was an obvious defect.

Generally if I'm buying an older bike I tend to check everything works and finish with a brief test ride. A folding maintenance stand makes life a lot easier but generally the seller is happy to hold the rear wheel off the ground whilst you work through the gears.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-17-22, 06:57 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Let's add some fuel to the debate, shall we?

Suppose the OP took the bike out for his test ride. While shifting, the chain dropped into the wheel (which usually means a mis-adjusted stop on the RD), causing the OP to crash heavily and break his collarbone.

Does the OP pay for the bike? Does the seller pay for the medical treatment? Enquiring minds want to know.

FWIW, last time I sold a bike, I put it on a repair stand, showed the buyer that all the gears, brakes, wheels, and steering parts were working as they should, then took it off the stand and held it while he sat on it to check the fit. He asked to take it for a test ride, and I told him to place the asking price, in cash, in my hand. If he brought it back in the same condition it left and didn't like it for any reason, he'd get his money back. However, I made it clear that if it came back crashed or damaged, he bought it.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-17-22, 07:52 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Pictures, can we see the bike please? Sounds like a cool ride!
Tim
Old 03-17-22, 10:41 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
??? The OP didn't crash or drop the bike.
But the point of the post is to have a discussion about liability for damage BEFORE the test ride.
Old 03-17-22, 10:46 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
But the point of the post is to have a discussion about liability for damage BEFORE the test ride.
The problem is that some people avoided discussing the complicated actual issue and imagined it to be the simpler case ("crashing or dropping" the bike) just so they could respond with the not-so-clever "you broke it; you bought it".

The case wasn't one where the OP "crashed or dropped" the bike. And, I doubt, that anybody (including the OP) would have thought that somebody "crashing or dropping" the bike wouldn't be responsible.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-17-22 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-17-22, 10:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The problem is that some people avoided discussing the complicated actual issue and imagined it to be the simpler case
Yup. And at least one poster offered this gem, about how a buyer is responsible AFTER purchasing an item. Completely OT:

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I can only assume that the state you live in doesn't do "AS-IS" private sales?

Here in GA if you buy anything used, unless it is specifically stated concerning certain aspect of the sale it is as-is meaning that if you didn't take it to a mechanic, or do a through check and it blows up the second you sign the papers, it's still yours. By and large there is no responsibility to be held to in many cases. The only aspect that gets around this is if you can prove they purposefully hid something, such things like sellling a car as good, passed emissions and they removed the CEL bulb and similar. Even at that, proving it can be more costly than just eating it as a learning experience.
It all makes a pretty simple situation seem much more complicated than it really is.
Old 03-17-22, 11:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Let's add some fuel to the debate, shall we?

Suppose the OP took the bike out for his test ride. While shifting, the chain dropped into the wheel (which usually means a mis-adjusted stop on the RD), causing the OP to crash heavily and break his collarbone.

Does the OP pay for the bike? Does the seller pay for the medical treatment? Enquiring minds want to know.

FWIW, last time I sold a bike, I put it on a repair stand, showed the buyer that all the gears, brakes, wheels, and steering parts were working as they should, then took it off the stand and held it while he sat on it to check the fit. He asked to take it for a test ride, and I told him to place the asking price, in cash, in my hand. If he brought it back in the same condition it left and didn't like it for any reason, he'd get his money back. However, I made it clear that if it came back crashed or damaged, he bought it.

OK, so just the liability question. I'm not going to research this, but I would bet that the torts question is whether you as seller acted negligently when you allowed them to test ride it. So, for example, if you knew of a non-obvious (to the test-rider) defect in the bike that might affect safety and you allowed them to ride it without telling them about said defect, I believe you could be on the hook for any injuries that may have resulted. There's a subtler question of whether you "should have known" about the defect, but I suspect as a private seller, there's not that much expectation in that regard.
Old 03-17-22, 11:53 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
OK, so just the liability question. I'm not going to research this, but I would bet that the torts question is whether you as seller acted negligently when you allowed them to test ride it. So, for example, if you knew of a non-obvious (to the test-rider) defect in the bike that might affect safety and you allowed them to ride it without telling them about said defect, I believe you could be on the hook for any injuries that may have resulted. There's a subtler question of whether you "should have known" about the defect, but I suspect as a private seller, there's not that much expectation in that regard.
Interesting.
Now, what about the other side of things? If the OP test rode the bike and crashed it due to an unknown/unseen defect in the bike itself, is he responsible for the purchase? It wasn't something he did intentionally. Had the seller told him "Hey, don't shift into the big gear because sometimes the chain jumps" and he did it anyway, that's another issue.
Imagine purchasing a used car. The seller tells you, "Hey, don't go too fast on the test drive, the brake hoses are bad." You fly down the street and slam on the brakes, popping that bad hose. Unable to stop at the stop sign, you sail into the intersection and slam into another car. Now, let's say the seller knew the brakes were iffy, and didn't warn you. Or, the seller was unaware of the brakes and they suddenly failed on the test drive. Hmmmm.
Old 03-17-22, 12:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Interesting.
Now, what about the other side of things? If the OP test rode the bike and crashed it due to an unknown/unseen defect in the bike itself, is he responsible for the purchase? It wasn't something he did intentionally. Had the seller told him "Hey, don't shift into the big gear because sometimes the chain jumps" and he did it anyway, that's another issue.
Imagine purchasing a used car. The seller tells you, "Hey, don't go too fast on the test drive, the brake hoses are bad." You fly down the street and slam on the brakes, popping that bad hose. Unable to stop at the stop sign, you sail into the intersection and slam into another car. Now, let's say the seller knew the brakes were iffy, and didn't warn you. Or, the seller was unaware of the brakes and they suddenly failed on the test drive. Hmmmm.

I think the way I'd see it is the risk of an unknown defect causing harm to the bike is on the seller so no I don't think the OP could have been forced to buy the bike. Best guess, cuz I really think this case is too iffy and low stakes to care.

In the brake hose story, both of you are idiots for putting that car on the road. I'd be a lot more worried about being sued by someone I could hit with the brakeless car. My guess is the injured 3rd party would sue both of you.

Sudden unexpected mechanical failure--who knows? I know I ain't buying the car unless I was driving unreasonably regardless of failure. No idea on the 3rd party liability. Interesting jury question.
Old 03-17-22, 01:51 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Buyer removed the Dork Disc? Isn't that a crime or is it the other way? I forget.

Seller is guilty.

OP is a nice guy.