Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 04-09-22, 01:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I think my biggest fear is getting hit by a driver who leaves the scene. This kind of deliberate avoidance of responsibility is rampant in this region, Mr. Mercedes is typical. Glad you and the bike are OK
Old 04-09-22, 07:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Jesus Joe, I mean you got rear ended while on a Bike ?. Never heard of a cyclist getting rear ended. Did the Mercedes driver at least get out to see if you were OK or check for damage ?. What a tool.
A few years ago I was on a group ride and we were stopped at a red light crossing Rt.107 in Muttontown. A car topped into 3 riders in the back, one needing medical attention.

Just the other day I was about 6 cars back at a red light at Merrits and Hempstead Turnpike, the light turned green and 5 of the cars moved through the intersection. The car in front of me didn't move so I started to yell "LETS MOVE" over and over. Finally i went around the car, the drive had her head down looking at her phone. As I pulled in front I could her the car's engine rev and realized that she finally looked up and was going to run me over. Luckily she finally saw me and hit the brakes.

My fault, I should of anticipated that she would wake up, not see any cars in front and try to make the light. I never should of gotten in front.

We all need to assume we are invisible to drivers and not put ourselves in a position to get hit. Doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong.. the bike always looses.

Glad you're OK Joe.
Old 04-10-22, 06:02 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Testing new panniers. Coroplast panniers.
Thursday hauled laundry to and from the laundromat. Friday got a flat tire. Saturday put a new chain on the bike, discovered I need a new cassette as well. Three different bikes btw.

New chain and cassette

I realize some people don’t like fairings, so I set this bike up with a milk crate to “appease “ them.

At the Laundromat.
Old 04-10-22, 09:06 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I was at a dead stop at the traffic light and had been stopped for at least a full minute as it's a long light. He didn't get out. He seemed to think shrugging his shoulders pretty much satisfied his responsibility.
Coming from Rochester I'm used to some pretty lousy drivers but the Island does seem to have a large number of just self-entitled morons on the road. Glad you're good.

The frankenbike is nearly finished, basically just waiting for sram to release new rival AXS shifters which should be aug/sept according to the LBS. Bought a new BB, a box ti spindle and built the hubs up with Mavic CXP pro 32 carbon rims using wheelsmith 1.8/1.5 butted spokes and alloy nipples. Rims are wide enough they require 25c tires with their 21mm internal width, makes the tires measure 29mm wide. Still a touch heavy at 20.1lbs but that's with pedals and ready to roll, might do some new, lighter pedals later in the season but I'm already slightly over my 2k budget so it'll have to wait. NYS race is at Bear Mtn next month so we'll be heading there to ride once a week, got her first lap in on Sat and finished too wet for another lap. We'll be back out there on tues and I'll help her set a good pace.
Old 04-12-22, 10:05 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Coming from Rochester I'm used to some pretty lousy drivers but the Island does seem to have a large number of just self-entitled morons on the road. Glad you're good.

The frankenbike is nearly finished, basically just waiting for sram to release new rival AXS shifters which should be aug/sept according to the LBS. Bought a new BB, a box ti spindle and built the hubs up with Mavic CXP pro 32 carbon rims using wheelsmith 1.8/1.5 butted spokes and alloy nipples. Rims are wide enough they require 25c tires with their 21mm internal width, makes the tires measure 29mm wide. Still a touch heavy at 20.1lbs but that's with pedals and ready to roll, might do some new, lighter pedals later in the season but I'm already slightly over my 2k budget so it'll have to wait. NYS race is at Bear Mtn next month so we'll be heading there to ride once a week, got her first lap in on Sat and finished too wet for another lap. We'll be back out there on tues and I'll help her set a good pace.

Great picture, and seriously cool kid and bike! Good luck at the races!

As for me I'm still amazed that my wheel didn't even need trueing after my Mercedes Moment. Yesterday I went past the same spot, keeping a wary eye out, and continued on out to Nissequoge. 54 miles door to door.

Old 04-12-22, 05:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

The NY state road championship is in Bear Mtn this year so we headed out to get some practice on the course. They were both here training with their team last week so I trusted them to know the route, the result was a 4+ mile out and back down a wrong road with two very steep climbs that they had to walk the last part of heading out, much steeper than the actual course, and two incredibly long shallower climbs that dragged out. We ended up not doing two laps as planned, and did 19 miles in 1 hour and 40 min, not bad for all the climbs. After doing the course I'm a little worried about them doing the race which starts with a long, very steep downhill into a left hand off camber U turn. Hitting over 50mph down the hill would be easy, going through the turn faster than 20mph will take more skill then they have. Same with a downhill entrance into a round about. We'll go again next week and see how it goes.
Apparently LI wind does make a difference, I haven't done real hill climbing in a while and found none of the hills difficult.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 04-12-22 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-16-22, 10:11 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Very late start with the tandems this year.....put in 81 miles past few days. Getting there.... From todays ride......Happy Holidays to all!

Old 04-21-22, 05:32 PM
Russ Roth

Tuesday we met up with some friends and did 18 miles on the North Country Trail but had to succumb to the cold and wind.
Today we picked up a teammate did a lap of Bear Mountain again. The 15+mph winds made the one of the better descending sections and flattest section more difficult, but we averaged 11.3 mph with 1100' of climbing over 14.2 miles according to the Garmin. The girls weren't big on descending and the first 2 mile downhill didn't see them try to go over 20mph but the side wind also made them unsteady there. A less windy day they'd probably do a bit better.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-21-22, 05:57 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Hendrick Avenue in Glen Cove

NYDOT picked up the bundles of brush

Concrete waste dumped

Concrete waste dumped, 107 North

Was busy on 107 North just south of Pound Hollow Road. There has been some concrete apparently dumped by a ready-mix truck (they do that to prevent the excess from hardening in the barrel), been there since approximately November 1st, 2021. It’s been marked with flourescent orange paint, but NYDOT hasn’t removed it yet. Normally I’d roll boulders and logs out of the road, but the concrete hardened, it’s stuck there.
I cut the brush around back of the concrete (there’s more in the grass) so I can ride along the fence line if necessary. NYDOT has picked up the branches, so they must have seen the concrete. Hopefully it won’t cause an accident.

It’s also blocking rainwater runoff, so there’s a strip of mud along the edge of the pavement.

Last edited by hotbike; 04-21-22 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 06:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Did you mark it or was it someone else?

A few years ago I marked some roots pushing up on the Bethpage path after almost losing it when I didn't see the bumps.
Old 04-28-22, 01:37 PM
kaos joe

22 miles of headwind, then 22 miles of tailwind. Beats the other way around!

The soft greens of spring. Oyster Bay harbor, NY
Old 04-28-22, 02:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
We beat the wind with a late season mt. bike ride at Edgewood. It was a cool 38 degrees, so the tights were on and no fear of ticks. Maybe our last ride here for the season (I hate ticks). Stayed out of the mogul sections, which I hate anyway, and rode the flow trails. Nice 11 mile loop.

Old 04-28-22, 04:04 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
We beat the wind.....
THE thing to do would have been to saddle up early, point it east and do a long downwind sail until dry land runs out, and take the train back. Wind was from the NW so not perfect, but good enough. How many times have I fantasized about doing that on a day like today. I don't remember if I got a Montauk run in last year. Alas, working tonight.

Glad to see another tick-phobe. I'd trade them for Grizzlies any day.
Old 04-28-22, 09:12 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by kaos joe
THE thing to do would have been to saddle up early, point it east and do a long downwind sail until dry land runs out, and take the train back. Wind was from the NW so not perfect, but good enough. How many times have I fantasized about doing that on a day like today. I don't remember if I got a Montauk run in last year. Alas, working tonight.

Glad to see another tick-phobe. I'd trade them for Grizzlies any day.
I still have damaged skin from tick larvae riding in Cathedral Pines last spring. The Permathrin did its job of killing them but only after they got about 40-50 bike marks in 4 different patches per leg. Haven't been back there since, edgewood hasn't been an issue, I think 2 ticks between 5 people on a dozen rides last year.

Wind was rough, oldest kid and I met up with her star track team for some road training at Old Westbury college campus, but we discovered that her bike's rear der battery had died and she was stuck in a 40/28, that let her get up most of the climbs easily but made keeping up on the flats and slight downhills a little rough. Still did two laps before deciding it was too difficult to keep up. Looks like we need to get a second battery to keep this from happening again.
Old 04-30-22, 12:44 PM
kaos joe

Again, 22 miles of headwind and then 22 of (mostly) tailwind. Crab Meadow beach this time, and rode the Sunday Tandem on Saturday. When will this wind let up?
Old 05-01-22, 04:01 PM
hotbike

School Street LIRR Bridge, Westbury

School Street LIRR Bridge, Westbury

Divide Tower , Hicksville

32 miles today, bike ignored headwinds.

107 in Jericho

Saint Paul Church in Jericho

I did 32 miles in 2:56

Edit, more photos from the Bike Camera

Eisenhower Park perimeter Bikeway

Last edited by hotbike; 05-01-22 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 05:38 PM
hotbike

Eisenhower Park Bikeway

Old 05-01-22, 06:39 PM
hotbike

Prospect Avenue Bike Lane in New Cassel

Old 05-01-22, 06:40 PM
hotbike

Eisenhower Park Bikeway

Old 05-05-22, 09:35 PM
kaos joe

I decided to change it up a bit today and headed out to Manorville. I had a 54 mile route mapped out onto the North Fork, but.......mistakes were made.....I take responsibility for one but I blame Garmin for the other 2. Wound up riding my age +1, a metric century. Beautiful day.

Old 05-11-22, 08:36 AM
hotbike

Tuesday’s photos. Rode 17 miles, McCouns Lane, Valentines Lane, crossing Northern Boulevard, Wheatley Road, Post avenue in Westbury... actually one block west, Fulton Street, for eight blocks to avoid Westbury CBD traffic, and continued south on the bidirectional Greenway along Merrick Road , turned right (west) on Hempstead Turnpike, used the Long Island Greenway “Empire State Trail” to its end, and then went to Duncan (doughnut shop) in Garden City. Choked down two chocolate doughnuts , had trouble washing it down, my bottles were almost empty, so as I tilted my head back to get the remaining water down my throat, my up strapped helmet fell of and broken mirror results.

Amusing incident caught on videotape... cars blocking the Greenway in both directions

PDF from NYDOT

Southwest corner of Eisenhower Park

SW corner of Eisenhower Park

I had 7 seconds to cross Merrick Road, so I blew my air horn

Westbound on Hempstead Turnpike bicycle lane

Path crosses ramps for the Meadowbrook, use caution

West side of Eisenhower Park

View of intersection Merrick and NY24, with big green signs pointing to the Meadowbrook
Old 05-11-22, 03:57 PM
hotbike

This is the best part of the Greenway, going under two pedestrian bridges:
Old 05-16-22, 05:48 PM
hotbike

Pizza in Roslyn

The new Denton Avenue Bridge. Not sure what the concrete track is.

Sunday the 15th of May I rode 22 miles. I’m so glad I’m gaining stamina with the training. Rode to New Hyde Park to see the new LIRR mainline bridge.

11 miles each way

Today , Monday the 16th, managed a 7 mile ride to Glen Cove.
Old 05-18-22, 03:58 AM
kaos joe

Perfect morning, yesterday. Oyster Bay, Laurel Hollow, all 3 Brookvilles, etc, 36 miles. Should have gone longer.

Cold Spring Harbor NY

Smoke stack, last remaining structure from Louis Tiffany estate, Laurel Hollow NY
Old 05-21-22, 09:24 PM
Russ Roth

The oldest and I made it to TTown to race at the velodrome today. Hopefully someone will send me a couple pics as her team had a couple photographers taking pics. Unfortunately back in Feb when we were at Rock Hill she has a slow speed accident from the girl in front of her sliding down the track, despite no injury she's now freaked out about TTown which looks too similar despite being longer and less steep. She did all three races but her performance was abysmal compared to how she's done there in the past. Problem with with kids with anxiety is getting them to get out of their own heads sometimes. But she claims she still wants to race nationals so we'll be back there next month, hopefully more than once, to get her confidence back.

As for me, I managed to not be last in my first race, was third to last, managed to only get lapped once on the second race but stayed with the pack through the first 12 laps, wouldn't have been last if someone didn't dnf, they really stepped it up for the last 4. Third race didn't get lapped at all, actually managed to stay with the pack till the last lap. So while still slow, its all new personal bests for me having two races where I wasn't lapped and even being better than second to last, last is my usual place. Even if not that great, still makes the drive for my daughter better and beats sitting around like the other parents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.